Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where can I get some sturdy pint glasses?

NoXion

Craicy the Squirrel
I've been having the absolute worst luck with these damn things. Over the past 3 months I've managed to smash three of them(!), and I think the only pint glass I have left is a really grotty one that would look like shit even after the deep clean it desperately needs.

Can you get straight-sided pint glasses made of Pyrex? I like to have cola with loads of ice when I'm not having beer, and I'm thinking that maybe the thermal stress was a contributing factor in their structural failure. I know that the pint glasses I bought from Tesco were too damn thin, those fucking things broke really easily.

Somewhere that I can order online and isn't Amazon would be nice.

I have a collection of Duralex Picardie, name might not ring a bell but the look of them will. Mightly tough, classically stylish and with a bit of shape so they don't slip through fingers when frosty.

I've been having the absolute worst luck with these damn things. Over the past 3 months I've managed to smash three of them(!), and I think the only pint glass I have left is a really grotty one that would look like shit even after the deep clean it desperately needs.

Can you get straight-sided pint glasses made of Pyrex? I like to have cola with loads of ice when I'm not having beer, and I'm thinking that maybe the thermal stress was a contributing factor in their structural failure. I know that the pint glasses I bought from Tesco were too damn thin, those fucking things broke really easily.

Somewhere that I can order online and isn't Amazon would be nice.

the pubs are open again. Go and grab a few, hot tap water and a splash of bleach left to soak for a few hours and jobs a good un.

Reactions: Ax^
These are structurally much tougher than a straight pint glass and can double as a weapon if someone suprises you.

153657.jpg

depends if you manage to drop them on to something else that is breakable...

Thing is, I haven't dropped any of the glasses I've been accidentally smashing. Two of them went when I gently knocked them against the side of the sink, and the latest one to go, shattered when it fell over while it was sat in the sink. All of this happened while I was washing them.

The thick glass pint mugs with handles look like a good suggestion. For the moment I've washed up my Maßkrug which I got last Christmas.

Masskrug-neutral.jpg

Reactions: Ax^
Just thought my now milky white pint glasses due to the dishwasher came from my then local in Sydenham in the early 90s. They've got the crown pint mark and are now in Glasgow.

I have stone and tile floors, and a Belfast sink, so it's a dangerous place for fragile things. I either go for Duralex glasses (not available in pints, but come in 500ml) which last for ages, or get IKEA glasses and treat them as disposable. Or steal them from pubs.

Thing is, I haven't dropped any of the glasses I've been accidentally smashing. Two of them went when I gently knocked them against the side of the sink, and the latest one to go, shattered when it fell over while it was sat in the sink. All of this happened while I was washing them.
Maybe you don't need glasses at all and should just buy one of these

Screenshot 2020-07-17 at 18.36.31.pngt

Reminds me of seeing who could steal the biggest stack of glasses without being spotted.

I've only got one of the stolen glasses left - a hoegarden one, damn near indestructible.
I am drinking out of a half pint hoegaarden right now and yes they are.

image.jpg

Paulaner glasses are also very tough and tbh a pain to wash - they are tall and ridged on the inside so unless you have tiny hands you rattle your knuckles while you're getting to the bottom with a sponge. But neither of the ones I have have broken.

Don't nick Peroni glasses, they shatter if you whistle at them. All the pub staff I've known have hated them.

Back
Top Bottom