Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Whatsapp -Two phone & one SIM scenario/'mare

Throbbing Angel

uncivilly servile
Morning,

I had a couple of hours of annoyance with this scenario yesterday morning, so much so I was on the brink of launching a phone out the window.
There are a number of threads about WhatsApp but not any that seem to cover this, so...

• I want to have a BIG phone and a little phone because it is the 21st century and I can
  • I don't want two phone numbers
  • I don't want to pay Vodafone another tenner a month this facility (one number 2 devices, dunno what they call it) because it means taking out a new contract of at least 12 months and I'm off to a cheaper MVNO in October
I thought that I'd just be able to stick the SIM in the phone I wanted to use that week/day/whatever and get on with it and it'd all be good as the phone number and SIM were the same on the two instances of Whatsapp - but Ohhhh Noooo.

I use a Droid as my main phone and am playing with an iPhone 13 mini to see if I want to go iPhone next time I get a new main phone as I use a mac and an ipad and airpods and it seems to make sense from an everything being in one system POV, which is what I want to achieve (especially when it comes to scanning handwritten docs and they appearing in some app I can access on any of the devices - this has been problematic between Android, MacOS, iPadOS and Win 11, but that's another fkn thread innit)

So I tried all the usual 'transfer all your stuff methods' that are available like using the Apple move from Android app, and the restore this phone from a (iPad?) backup.

Total pain in the arse and the Whatsapp thing never worked properly because all the methods don't inform you which phone the fkn SIM needs to be in before you start, so you can't authenticate with a code or SMS, and when it was in the iPhone it needed me to access the WhatsApp instance in the Droid, which I can't do because the 'move' is up and running and WhatsApp on the Droid has stopped working because it knows it's up and running (almost) on another phone.

Linking companion devices didn't work either which is very annoying because it works on everything else (Android tablet, macbook, Windows11, and an iPad if you run it through a browser)

So - what gives and can you help.

I'm interested in "I've done this or summat similar and here's how" rather than 'I found this webpage' - I say this now to save time because I've searched the shit out of this issue, trust me.

The only solution seems to be having a second SIM and then setting up a companion device - which makes no sense at all.

Thanks in advance.

From my rudimentary understanding this can only be done if you use the iphone as the main whatsapp device and the Android as the secondary device. I know you want first hand advice and don't want links but this video explains it better.

Cheers, will take a look at that when I get back in front of a laptop.

Nowt else I've seen mentioned this iPhone first position.

I don't understand how I maintain my chat history in this circumstance as you don't seem to be able to import it from Google drive backups to an iPhone :confused:

Cheers, will take a look at that when I get back in front of a laptop.

Nowt else I've seen mentioned this iPhone first position.

I don't understand how I maintain my chat history in this circumstance as you don't seem to be able to import it from Google drive backups to an iPhone :confused:
You don't need to import, it's synced. And skyscraper101 is right, you can't have iPhone as a secondary/linked device. It's got to be Android -> Android or iPhone -> Android

This has the steps you need to take. Don't do the import. Be logged into WhatsApp on iPhone, then do the linking as described here. It mentions beta, but I assume this has been rolled out to the main release of WhatsApp now so you can ignore those bits.

I used to think WhatsApp was associated with a phone number rather than a device. So, when I tried swapping out my normal SIM with another one from another operator, I expected WhatsApp to stop working, but it didn't.

Back
Top Bottom