Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's Romford like to live in?

skyscraper101

0891 50 50 50
Karl Hyde of Underworld describes it as his New York. It also used to be home to the Strictly Underground and Suburban Base record labels - I've never even been, but I quite fancy looking around that sort of area distance-wise from London for somewhere to rent as better value for money.

I'm working around WC1 area so thinking of a convenient commute from area. Romford came up as about 45-50 mins. I'm currently clocking over an hour on the 14 bus crawling in traffic from Fulham to Tottenham Ct Rd so thats no problem. Plus I quite like the idea of it being a base to get out into the Essex countryside at some point while still being London-ish without feeling like I've moved to the hinterlands - it's Zone 6 but seems to get regular trains to Liverpool St. and will get crossrail too in the next couple of years which I'd quite like to travel in on. Plus I get to sing the lyrics in born slippy "mega mega mega going back to Romford" everytime I go home.

Er.. what else should I know? Are there nicer areas around there I should consider etc? I haven't really mentioned South London, probably unfairly but I'm open to looking all over really. Just trying to strike the living/travel cost balance right really. So, Romford or similar ish?

have been to Romford a couple of times for work purposes.

Like most of London and surrounding areas, it's a bit of a patchwork.

Still some traces of the old Essex market town, and still used as such by some of the surrounding rural patch - quite a big shopping centre. Seems to have a fair amount of pubs / clubs. Not sure what they are like.

Used to have a fair bit of industry, mostly now gone, as has most of Fords at Dagenham which was a big employer in the area.

Big 1930s LCC council estate at Harold Hill (NE of Romford) and a fair amount of 1920s / 30s private suburbia sort of development.

Less ethnically diverse than London in general (82% white british at last census, according to wikipedia)

had a labour MP in 1997 - 2001 and went back tory. UKIP second in 2015. Havering council has one labour councillor.

Don't know what you're looking for.

If you're looking to buy, then crossrail will already have pushed prices up and will probably do so more. If you're looking to rent, then crossrail will push rents up.

I still can't see it becoming the new hoxton / shoreditch / brixton / whatever.

All I can suggest is visit a time or two. Have a meander - drive around or take a few bus journeys.

I'm a big fan of Romford. We moved here to start a family after living in Hackney for a decade. With neither of us being massively sociable types, moving here made sense and suits us down to the ground. Mostly it's our particular location that's great, 5 supermarkets within walking distance, a market, proper shops, 8 minutes to the train station and a hospital so close to home that my wife walked there and back home when she gave birth.

I would say that it's culturally very different to inner London though it's not as white as it might have been 20 or 30 years ago. It's more geared towards families. There are a lot of night clubs in the centre of town but it's a very young crowd from what I can tell.

Which part you might want to move todepends a lot on your budget and transport needs. Feel free to ask though.

Hope I wasn't the first wave of gentrification. One of the things I like about the area is the solid working class feel of the place (and no 'working class' doesn't mean white working class).

I will say that despite thinking we were moving 'to the country' ( :facepalm: )after 5 years living on the river Lea we feel a bit deprived of green space. There's a couple of very nice parks but a bit of a mission on foot given that we take a pram everywhere now. Looking forward to getting a car.

I used to live in Dagenham and would go to Romford a lot for shopping, cinema, drinks... if i couldn't convince my friends to go into London. Its pretty much the same as most of Londons out of town suburbia with a TOWIE garnish.

I moved back into London, then due to kids and house prices moved out to Hertfordshire. Which i like a lot more and is basically the same distance out. The routes out via Kings Cross are better than Liverpool St, i.e its 15-25 mins vs 30-45 mins.

I'm a big fan of Romford. We moved here to start a family after living in Hackney for a decade. With neither of us being massively sociable types, moving here made sense and suits us down to the ground. Mostly it's our particular location that's great, 5 supermarkets within walking distance, a market, proper shops, 8 minutes to the train station and a hospital so close to home that my wife walked there and back home when she gave birth.

I would say that it's culturally very different to inner London though it's not as white as it might have been 20 or 30 years ago. It's more geared towards families. There are a lot of night clubs in the centre of town but it's a very young crowd from what I can tell.

Which part you might want to move todepends a lot on your budget and transport needs. Feel free to ask though.

Hope I wasn't the first wave of gentrification. One of the things I like about the area is the solid working class feel of the place (and no 'working class' doesn't mean white working class).

Oh I hoped I might find a Romford urbaner. Would you recommend any areas to look at?

I want to rent a place, 2-bedrooms ideally just for me and the wife. Could be a garden house or a flat. I would like it to be reasonable walking distance of the station so ideally not more than 10-12 min walk. I like 5 supermarkets :) - I've seen places from between £1k-£1.2k a month which don't look bad.

Oh I hoped I might find a Romford urbaner. Would you recommend any areas to look at?

I want to rent a place, 2-bedrooms ideally just for me and the wife. Could be a garden house or a flat. I would like it to be reasonable walking distance of the station so ideally not more than 10-12 min walk. I like 5 supermarkets :) - I've seen places from between £1k-£1.2k a month which don't look bad.

If you're that close to the station it's all pretty much the same. We just drew a walking distance sized circle round the station and ignored anything outside it. As far as I know you can actually rent a 2 bed semi with a garden for that price.

If you're that close to the station it's all pretty much the same. We just drew a walking distance sized circle round the station and ignored anything outside it. As far as I know you can actually rent a 2 bed semi with a garden for that price.

Good to know. I'm going to look around with interest. What's the commute/tfl trains like between Romford and Liverpool St? I'll also look around also for parks and sports centres as I want to start playing badminton again.

Good to know. I'm going to look around with interest. What's the commute/tfl trains like between Romford and Liverpool St? I'll also look around also for parks and sports centres as I want to start playing badminton again.
Trains are packed at rush hours but pretty reliable and there's one every 3 or 4 minutes when it's busy. Off peak there are fast trains that get to Stratford in 8 minutes and Liverpool St in 15. I didn't like TFL at first because they changed the early train times so I had to get up 10 minutes earlier but I forgave them when I realised my commute had gone down nearly 3 quid a day. I travel at stupid o'clock in the morning so generally trains are on time and not crowded for me. Mrs maomao started work at a civilised hour when she was working and found that any delays lead to overcrowding but otherwise very good.

Go and have a look around anyway. There's no really trendy eateries or anything but loads of caffs for a FEB (cafe bueno next to the market is good), pie and mash shops and the pan Asian buffet at the Brewery shopping centre is great and very very Romford.

There's plenty of gyms about but I'm really the wrong person to ask about that.

What's Romford like to live in?​

It was like this in South Street, Romford, on Saturday 21 April 2024 at around 4.50 p.m.:

83905217-13340855-The_man_can_be_seen_following_the_women_down_South_Street_in_Rom-m-3_1713880280056.jpg

83908823-13340855-One_of_the_group_asks_the_man_to_stop_and_tells_him_that_he_is_b-m-5_1713880294536.jpg

Terry Eury, of Wapping, was filmed racially abusing Muslim women, calling them "f*** c*s". The women, who were returning from a protest in support of the Palestinian people, tried not to engage with him. Terry Eury started talking about the Israel-Palestine conflict. He started calling them "Muslim c**, s*, traitors". He also told them to "f off to a Muslim country".

Terry Eury also said "You Muslim f*** c*. You're c**. Muslim c*. You f* Muslim s*. Go away you f** idiots."

One of the women asked him to stop and tells him that he is 'being racist'.

Terry Eury replied: "Harassing? We don't like you. 'We are a Christian country and we don't f*** like you. F** off out of England".

"You are a cancer on our country. F*** off. You are a cancer. We are a Christian country and we don't like you. we are not a Muslim country".

When arrested Terry Eury gave the alias Adolf Hitler.

Terry Eury subsequently appeared before Thames Magistrates' Court, when he pleaded guilty two counts of religiously aggravated abuse against Rubina Rahman and Jimena Pardo.

83912235-13340855-image-a-1_1713880267095.jpg

Terry Eury was released on unconditional bail ahead of sentence at Thames Magistrates Court on 21 May 2024. He already has a previous conviction for racially aggravated abuse.

It was like this in South Street, Romford, on Saturday 21 April 2024 at around 4.50 p.m.:

83905217-13340855-The_man_can_be_seen_following_the_women_down_South_Street_in_Rom-m-3_1713880280056.jpg

83908823-13340855-One_of_the_group_asks_the_man_to_stop_and_tells_him_that_he_is_b-m-5_1713880294536.jpg

Terry Eury, of Wapping, was filmed racially abusing Muslim women, calling them "f*** c*s". The women, who were returning from a protest in support of the Palestinian people, tried not to engage with him. Terry Eury started talking about the Israel-Palestine conflict. He started calling them "Muslim c*, s, traitors". He also told them to "f off to a Muslim country".

Terry Eury also said "You Muslim f*** c*. You're c*. Muslim c. You f* Muslim s*. Go away you f** idiots."

One of the women asked him to stop and tells him that he is 'being racist'.

Terry Eury replied: "Harassing? We don't like you. 'We are a Christian country and we don't f*** like you. F** off out of England".

"You are a cancer on our country. F*** off. You are a cancer. We are a Christian country and we don't like you. we are not a Muslim country".

When arrested Terry Eury gave the alias Adolf Hitler.

Terry Eury subsequently appeared before Thames Magistrates' Court, when he pleaded guilty two counts of religiously aggravated abuse against Rubina Rahman and Jimena Pardo.

Terry Eury was released on unconditional bail ahead of sentence at Thames Magistrates Court on 21 May 2024. He already has a previous conviction for racially aggravated abuse.

Yesterday at Thames Magistrates’ Court Terry Eury, of Burr Close in Wapping, was given a 12 week suspended prison sentence and was also ordered to pay £85 in prosecution costs and a £154 victim surcharge, and to complete a three month alcohol treatment course and 35 days' rehabilitation with probation services.

One of Terry Eury's victims said that she was traumatised by the incident and had difficulty sleeping. She said it was the worst experience of racism she had ever suffered and that she had been triggered by watching the incident on video.

The second of Terry Eury's victims said that she has suffered from the incident “as if she had been physically assaulted” and finds going to work difficult now:

South Street, Romford racist rant: Terry Eury avoids prison

(Source: as stated in image)

Terry Eury, offering mitigation on his own behalf, said:

“I am not anti-Muslim. I go to Indian restaurants run by Muslims, I take cabs driven by Muslims, I used to work with an Iranian Muslim and we had no issues. I don’t know why I said those things. I have never been anti-Muslim and never will be. I am ashamed and just want to put this behind me. This will never happen again.”

Back
Top Bottom