Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's ASDA Delivery Service Like These Days?

Epona

Sonic: 1 Nov 2006 - 8 Jan 2022
I've been with Morrisons for ages (apart from a break using grocery delivery services at all during COVID lockdown years, to leave the delivery slots for those more vulnerable) - they are very reliable in terms of turning up when they say they will, very few substitutions or items with short dates.
Overall I am pleased with their delivery service.

However, their prices are increasing more relative to other supermarkets and it isn't possible to order their full range of Savers items for delivery, which is making them a bit more of an expensive prospect for grocery deliveries these days. Also their range of items has decreased over the last few years, I was wowed when I first started using them by the fresh produce that was available, but their veg selection has shrunk considerably (not just seasonal, I mean in general over the last few years).

Am looking at switching to ASDA which has an extensive budget range (Essentials) available for delivery, as well as all my usual favourites, and their own brand stuff is on average cheaper than Morrisons now.

Does anyone have any recent experience with ASDA deliveries? - Any good? or Avoid Like The Plague?

(I started a new thread rather than bumping my previous one or other similar ones because I know from experience that people will just start responding to posts from 5 years ago rather than addressing the new question! :D )

The only issue I've had is they don't pack it so you have to awkwardly unpack it on your doorstep which is a bit awkward for us. We are still using Morrisons but I agree you don't get much for your money these day!

The only issue I've had is they don't pack it so you have to awkwardly unpack it on your doorstep which is a bit awkward for us. We are still using Morrisons but I agree you don't get much for your money these day!

What do you mean by they don't pack it?
I just have Morrisons leave everything outside my door on the communal landing because I don't want anyone in my flat so they just put everything out there, I stick my head out of the door so they can see I'm over the age requirement for alcohol, then I bring it in once they have gone.

And yeah Morrisons prices have gone up a lot on some items, ASDA prices are what Morrisons prices used to be like, hence me considering the switch :D

I don't have a problem at all with Morrisons delivery, they provide a good service and absolutely recommend them for that. Just the price of their items generally has increased more than average so they aren't in the cheaper supermarket bracket any more!

They don't put it in bags. You have to unpack the trays. There might be a way of requesting bags.

I haven't used them in a while but they're OK. I don't have anything to compare them to.

Can't comment in Asda.
But I was ill the other week so ordered some stuff on just eat an it worked quite well. No messing about with delivery slots, just turned up about 45min after I ordered and was cheaper than the last time I tried ordered direct from the supermarket.

Don't know if that is a better option for anyone for ordering for delivery.

I find Asda fine, usually turn up in booked hour but occasionally run late. Never allow substitutions myself but most things are usually in stock. Can’t get Morrisons deliveries here anymore, must have got robbed some time although doesn’t stop their junk mail.

I've been with Morrisons for ages (apart from a break using grocery delivery services at all during COVID lockdown years, to leave the delivery slots for those more vulnerable) - they are very reliable in terms of turning up when they say they will, very few substitutions or items with short dates.
Overall I am pleased with their delivery service.

However, their prices are increasing more relative to other supermarkets and it isn't possible to order their full range of Savers items for delivery, which is making them a bit more of an expensive prospect for grocery deliveries these days. Also their range of items has decreased over the last few years, I was wowed when I first started using them by the fresh produce that was available, but their veg selection has shrunk considerably (not just seasonal, I mean in general over the last few years).

Am looking at switching to ASDA which has an extensive budget range (Essentials) available for delivery, as well as all my usual favourites, and their own brand stuff is on average cheaper than Morrisons now.

Does anyone have any recent experience with ASDA deliveries? - Any good? or Avoid Like The Plague?

(I started a new thread rather than bumping my previous one or other similar ones because I know from experience that people will just start responding to posts from 5 years ago rather than addressing the new question! :D )

FWIW, I've found Sainsburys, with a Nectar account, to be no more expensive than Asda, and often cheaper on own-brand (Stamford Street) stuff.

Tons more delivery slots too.

Last edited:
I've always had good service and have used them a lot. I think it may depend to some extent on your locality because I found Morrisons pretty poor.

Yeah i think it's very localised. Asda always gives me way too many substitutions and the variety is crap, but it's based on your local store - I think I know your local store Epona :D and it's brilliant. Here Morrisons is OK. Sainsburys is too expensive and the quality is terrible.

What do you mean by they don't pack it?
I just have Morrisons leave everything outside my door on the communal landing because I don't want anyone in my flat so they just put everything out there, I stick my head out of the door so they can see I'm over the age requirement for alcohol, then I bring it in once they have gone.

And yeah Morrisons prices have gone up a lot on some items, ASDA prices are what Morrisons prices used to be like, hence me considering the switch :D

I don't have a problem at all with Morrisons delivery, they provide a good service and absolutely recommend them for that. Just the price of their items generally has increased more than average so they aren't in the cheaper supermarket bracket any more!
Yeah as quincunx said they don't put it in bags so you just unload it at the door which can be a bit awkward for us. Otherwise it was fine.

Can't comment in Asda.
But I was ill the other week so ordered some stuff on just eat an it worked quite well. No messing about with delivery slots, just turned up about 45min after I ordered and was cheaper than the last time I tried ordered direct from the supermarket.

Don't know if that is a better option for anyone for ordering for delivery.
Am surprised they were cheaper, you usually pay a premium for on demand groceries.

There's a thread about them here:

I second Sainsbury's - we used them during lockdown {some of our household were classed as vulnerable}.

I wouldn't use asda, I knew someone that worked there.
Their opinion of the way the staff were treated was illuminating ... they left as soon as they got another job with better pay and less bullying / stress etc.

Am surprised they were cheaper, you usually pay a premium for on demand groceries.

There's a thread about them here:
It was 10pct with max of £2 and free delivery over £15.

If budget is a key factor…
Have you considered Iceland?
They deliver.
They're cheaper for frozen food but more expensive for anything else. As a result an average basket of goods comes out quite pricey.

Surprisingly Ocado has some good budget buys. You assume not because they stock Waitrose and M&S stuff but some of their basic goods come out cheaper than Sainsburys.

As there seems to be lots of claims over which supermarkets are cheaper. here's the Which results from Nov 2023.

SupermarketAverage basket price
Aldi£76.77
Lidl£77.56
Asda£84.42
Tesco£87.42
Sainsbury's£87.79
Morrisons£89.54
Ocado£93.40
Waitrose£97.39

Looks like Epona would do well to switch from Morrisons as they are now more pricey than Tesco and Sainsburies.

How do you mean, no bags? Tesco and Sainsburries do similar. Except for bleach and maybe 1 or 2 other things, which is OK for me.

I'm not far from a big Asda but I hate going in supermarkets so should maybe try Asda again. I did it on Just Eat once and loads of items were missing.

How do you mean, no bags? Tesco and Sainsburries do similar. Except for bleach and maybe 1 or 2 other things, which is OK for me.

I'm not far from a big Asda but I hate going in supermarkets so should maybe try Asda again. I did it on Just Eat once and loads of items were missing.
:D literally means no bags. Morrisons pack it into bags and then you give the bags back the following week. We find it a bit awkward if it's not in bags due to the way our flats are set up.

I do an Aldi/Lidl run every couple of weeks to get things that are much cheaper there.

As there seems to be lots of claims over which supermarkets are cheaper. here's the Which results from Nov 2023.

SupermarketAverage basket price
Aldi£76.77
Lidl£77.56
Asda£84.42
Tesco£87.42
Sainsbury's£87.79
Morrisons£89.54
Ocado£93.40
Waitrose£97.39

Looks like Epona would do well to switch from Morrisons as they are now more pricey than Tesco and Sainsburies.
Without delivery costs?

Also does it factor in any post shop price matching?

They're cheaper for frozen food but more expensive for anything else. As a result an average basket of goods comes out quite pricey.

Surprisingly Ocado has some good budget buys. You assume not because they stock Waitrose and M&S stuff but some of their basic goods come out cheaper than Sainsburys.

Yeah we've found ocado is cheaper on some things than Sainsburys, which is really overpriced. The quality is way better too - the meat from sainsburys was shocking and we kept having to throw it away within date. And ocado haven't put their prices up as much as other shops, presumably bc they were more expensive to begin with. But overall I think you have to shop around to get best value. Which is about as boring as this post.

If budget is a key factor…
Have you considered Iceland?
They deliver.

My 3 nearest supermarkets are all Iceland, not paying for delivery from them!
They are cheaper for some things if you take advantage of their "3 for £3", "3 for £5", and "3 for £10" offers, but they've been trying to go upmarket with a lot of branded ready meals instead of own brand, so a lot of their stuff is more expensive now.
Also for fresh stuff they are not so good with a very limited and sometimes more expensive range (cucumbers 20p more expensive than Morrisons last time I checked), and I rarely buy ready meals.

The stuff I get delivered (alcohol, fizzy pop, fresh goods) aren't things I would go to Iceland for. Their beer and pop is way more expensive than Asda for example.
I do use them when I need something in a hurry as I can just pop round the corner in a round trip on foot of 20 minutes, or for some of their offer stuff (their own brand sausages are actually pretty nice, frozen prawns and fish on a 3 for £10 deal is pretty decent etc.) but I wouldn't get a delivery from them - as I order stuff I can't get cheaply there!

Not including delivery costs, just shopping.

I have never heard of post shop price matching. How does that work?
I only know about Ocado. But with them, after your shopping is delivered the cost of your shopping is price matched with Tesco, and if Ocado is more expensive you get a voucher for.the difference.

For over 10,000 products you know (and love), we now match the price of your like-for-like shop to tesco.com, including promotions and Clubcard prices. If we're not already the same price or less, we'll email you a voucher for the difference within 72 hours.

In short, you get Ocado quality at Tesco prices. Win win.
Delivery-wise I get charged £8.99 per month for deliveries on one of their smart pass schemes.

This week, cos we wanted a side of salmon (we're doing our postponed Xmas dinner with my parents coming round on Tuesday for it!) I've gone with Sainsbury's - a lot of their prices are matched to Aldi, a lot of their prices are cheaper than Morrison's (which I wasn't expecting), they sell more loose veg online than Morrison's do too, which suits me better (I rarely need a whole bag of carrots!)

The only thing they don't do, or at least not that I could find, was a cheap low-mid alcohol content beer (they have an own brand lager at an excellent price, but it's a bit too high abv for what I want most of the time - I curb my drinking by sticking to under 3% abv), so I still ordered that and a couple of other bits and bobs from Morrison's - there's also a current More card promotion on so will order from them again the week after to get our promotional £10 voucher.
I was comparing prices as I went, to make sure I got the best option for each shop.

After that, we'll try ASDA.

Last edited:
Finally tried ASDA.
Punctuality 10/10
Delivery Service
- Driver wanted me to come downstairs to the main door and carry all my shopping upstairs myself, no that is the point of a delivery service is it comes to my door - I explained that I was disabled which is why I book a delivery, and he did bring the shopping to my door but was very grumpy about it and refused to talk to me. Next time I'll include in the delivery instructions box that it has to be brought upstairs to my door and if they don't want to deliver to me they can let me know before taking the money and loading the goods onto the van and I'll shop elsewhere (because everywhere else brings it upstairs without quibbling). And I hate having a disagreement with someone I don't know, confrontation and being assertive make me feel very anxious. 3/10
Breakages
- Nothing broken, Morrisons are dreadful at this tbh. but it's because they put everything in carrier bags which break on the way upstairs - 10/10
Substitutions
- 3 substitutions - 1 bottle of cola zero was substituted for a bottle of diet cola - not a problem. 1.1kg bag of no added sugar ASDA muesli substituted for 500g Alpen at the same price - absolutely not. 20 ASDA Essentials Breaded Fish Fingers substituted for 8 Birds Eye Battered Fish Fingers at the same price - absolutely fucking not (I don't understand battered fish fingers, and I'm certainly not paying the same for a lot fewer expensive ones) - that's as many substitutions in one order as I've had in several years of ordering from Morrisons - 3/10
Value for Money
- Excellent value, the amount I saved on their own brand cans of bitter vs Morrisons equivalent basically meant I got a kilo of boneless chicken thighs (which were properly filleted, please take note, Morrisons) for free. 10/10
Packaging
- Some veg in plastic bags and the chicken in a plastic box (which I knew when ordering, unfortunate lack of budget loose veg options online). 4-packs of bitter in cardboard holders which is great, and no carrier bags. 6/10
Choice of Goods
- I don't need to go into detail, we know ASDA does a good range of products and their own brand and budget Essentials ranges are good value for money. 9/10

Overall 7/10
- will order from them again, on the proviso that they provide delivery to my door, not just into the building, without having a strop about it on my doorstep. Oh and I must remember to check the no substitutions box!

What floor is your flat on? I take it your block doesn't have a lift?

2nd floor, low rise block, no lift. Pretty much like most post-war social (or ex-social) housing in the borough.
They should say on their website that they won't bring goods up stairs if that is their policy, especially given that every other supermarket I've ever ordered from does not have an issue with it.

My Asda guy always carries the boxes upstairs without being asked. I'm only on the first floor but it's never been an issue.

That's good to know, I don't feel so bad about insisting he bring it upstairs knowing that :)
(I mean I was perfectly polite about it, but I still didn't enjoy the situation)

Back
Top Bottom