Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What shape would actual spaceships of the future have?

The main issue of the shape of spaceships is, rather than their shape, where are they going to go? Mars just isn't that enticing to my way of thinking, unable to sustain life, ideally we need to identify a suitable goldilocks planet somewhere and head for that.
Why do we need a planet? Once we can start bringing water back to Earth orbit we will have nearly unlimited, cheap fuel. From there we can gather the material to build habitable platforms. "Asteroid mining" is a technology that is well within our current grasp and will likely emerge in the coming decade or two. In the next 50 to 100 years there is virtually nothing to stop us building habitable vessels beyond our atmosphere.

Planetary surfaces are a very anachronistic way of thinking about the future of space.

I think terraforming as was suggested on Mars is a possibility, as is mining minerals from the Moon. Of course, there's all the assembling of the equipment to be done and getting it there. Some kind of solar-powered cranes and drills?

You are trolling this thread with incoherent drivel because you have nothing of value to add that is on topic but are still are desperate for attention. Stop lying.

Ner, I gets lots of attention, mostly from people in white coats, but lots of attention.

As for the stray Russian mutt - google it, wanker

I disagree - not because you're wrong, but more because we have no clue if Albert got it right. Clever - absolutely, but the institute of Photonic Sciences in Spain released results of experiments they claim proved the hairy lad was wrong.

I'm not even close to clever enough to understand these experiments but plenty of people are, and that dismisses the impossibility argument in epic fashion.
Science doesn't really work that way, no one is ever "right". One theory rises to prominence until when or if it is supplanted by a "more" correct one. Absolute truth is the province of gods, not men. Einstein's theory of relativity has stood up to increasingly accurate scrutiny for well over a century now without being formally disproved. That does not mean it's "right", but it does mean that any evidence it's wrong has to be indisputable, and any experiments repeatable & verifiable.

Why do we need a planet? Once we can start bringing water back to Earth orbit we will have nearly unlimited, cheap fuel. From there we can gather the material to build habitable platforms. "Asteroid mining" is a technology that is well within our current grasp and will likely emerge in the coming decade or two. In the next 50 to 100 years there is virtually nothing to stop us building habitable vessels beyond our atmosphere.

Planetary surfaces are a very anachronistic way of thinking about the future of space.

There speaks some who likes the Culture novels.

For me I think there would be a huge gap between mining asteroids and building somewhere with enough space for a comfortable existence. Mind you plenty of people live in London, so it's obviously not a total barrier.

Indeed. Isaac Arthur has posted several videos relevant to this subject:

I can't post more than five videos, so these are far from exhaustive. I strongly encourage anyone with an interest in this subject to subscribe to Arthur's channel and watch his videos. I think they strike a perfect balance between being overly simplified and being overly-complicated.

Science doesn't really work that way, no one is ever "right". One theory rises to prominence until when or if it is supplanted by a "more" correct one. Absolute truth is the province of gods, not men. Einstein's theory of relativity has stood up to increasingly accurate scrutiny for well over a century now without being formally disproved. That does not mean it's "right", but it does mean that any evidence it's wrong has to be indisputable, and any experiments repeatable & verifiable.
Or to put it another way, Newton wasn't wrong, he just wasn't as right as Einstein. For the scales at which Relativity is indistinguishable from Newtonian physics, Newton is still correct, and it's what we use in everyday physics calculations.

Thing is that Relativity has been tested at extremely large scales. Light from very distant galaxies is bent by the mass of intervening galaxies, exactly as predicted. If there are flaws in the theory, they are hiding only in the furthest extremes of the cosmos; at the big bang, at the center of black holes etc.

For me I think there would be a huge gap between mining asteroids and building somewhere with enough space for a comfortable existence.
And among those intermediary steps will be a "cycle ship"

A ship that is in permanent orbit to travel between somewhere like Earth and Mars. It will be one of the first major uses of artificial gravity and massively reduce the costs for trips there. Whether the first ones will be built on Earth and flown to orbit in parts or assembled from mined metal and rock is an open question. But it is a question that in some ways is very much a part of this threads topic.

Near future space ships will be somewhere between the ISS and a small semi permanent colony. This one type of vessel will not need a lot of propellant once its is in solar orbit.

Don Troooomp do you really truly think that because some things have proved possible, that somehow provides evidence that literally anything is possible? Because that’s extraordinary if so.

As I have never claimed that, I'd be commenting on your made up bollocks. :)
I do claim big brains and imagination can do a lot, including many things we see as impossible today.

Don Troooomp do you really truly think that because some things have proved possible, that somehow provides evidence that literally anything is possible? Because that’s extraordinary if so.
I do claim big brains and imagination can do a lot, including many things we see as impossible today.

Er...

Nothing is impossible - only impossible at the moment

Do you actually understand the words you write?

Ah, must be the Kirk belt where geostationary satellites hang around.

Clarke *predicted* geostationary satellites, he didn't invent them. Anyone seeking to provide static coverage of satellite-borne signals over parts of the Earth would have arrived at that solution sooner or later.

None of which addresses the fact that imagination only takes us far in terms actually building stuff, as opposed to projecting based on speculation. It's one thing for physicists to conjure up things like negative energy in order to make their warp-drive proposals work on paper. But without a physical mechanism for generating that negative energy, or indeed any confirmation that such a thing can even exist in the first place, such proposals will remain on the drawing board and in the works of science fiction authors who like to crib off physicists when telling their stories.

Speculation and the fiction that often gets written based on that speculation has an important role to play, inspiring the next generation of scientists-to-be with tales set in worlds where both romance (in the literary if not the literal sense) and the awe-inspiring spectacle of human* ingenuity can go hand in hand. But actually working at the coalface of science can involve years of hard work with precious little to show for it. In fact much of science involves finding out that no, you can't do that.

*(and robot, and alien, any kind of liminal being)

"Many things"? Like what? Building an over-unity power generator? Violating conservation of linear/angular momentum? Knowing both the position and momentum of a quantum particle with exact precision?

How do you know?

Isaac Arthur is a good name for a sci-fi nerd.

His parents thought so too. Seems to run in families; my parents were kinda nerdy as well, although not to the same degree and neither of them actually worked in science like his did. Lucky bastard.

An optimistic vision of the future where intelligence & ingenuity achieve the once seemingly impossible is laudable. We'd all like to live in a Star Trek future full of shiny people & holodecks. But equally there are things which are impossible, not merely intractably difficult, and which will forever remain so. We may not know exactly which things we consider impossible today will turn out to have been merely very difficult, but those that are truly impossible today will be truly impossible in the future.

But equally there are things which are impossible, not merely intractably difficult, and which will forever remain so

Some things will remain impossible, but some will not.
As for a form of entertainment or a unit in a staff canteen that produces objects with physical form, less than likely at the moment or the foreseeable future but, as with most things, I refuse to dismiss the possibility they could exist in the distant future.
I've found two things drive technology:
Solid cash
War (or cold war)

The former will look after entertainment, convenience items, and normal transport, the latter will be driven by political idiots but still produce its one useful outcome - a massive technological leap forward (assuming the human race survives politicians)

Some things will remain impossible, but some will not.
As for a form of entertainment or a unit in a staff canteen that produces objects with physical form, less than likely at the moment or the foreseeable future but, as with most things, I refuse to dismiss the possibility they could exist in the distant future.
I've found two things drive technology:
Solid cash
War (or cold war)

The former will look after entertainment, convenience items, and normal transport, the latter will be driven by political idiots but still produce its one useful outcome - a massive technological leap forward (assuming the human race survives politicians)

The indications from mathematical models are that a warp drive would require literally astronomical amounts of energy to operate. We're talking about amounts equal to the mass-energy of Jupiter here. That's more mass-energy than 300 Earths. This is a separate issue from generating the required amounts of negative energy, by the way. So even if turns out that these currently-understood energy requirements are an over-estimate, they would have to be reduced to at least 1/300th of current estimates, likely much more than that, if we are to be able to operate a warp drive without first growing to become a Kardashev 2 civilisation.

Note that even if the warp drive mass-energy requirement can be lowered to the point where it equals the Voyager probe, the only fuel with the energy density necessary is antimatter, according to physicist Sean Carrol. Which has its own production issues, costing as it currently does about $100 trillion per gram to synthesise. And unlike with STL starships, we don't have the option of leaving the power plant behind and pushing the ship using lasers or particle beams.

The implications of all this are that even if warp drives are physically possible, and even if they don't require astronomical quantities of mass-energy to operate, then by the time we can seriously consider actually building one of these things, we'll have already been in space for centuries, or more likely millennia. We would have to have control of stellar quanties of energy, which under current understandings of physics would require a Dyson swarm.

But if you've built a Dyson swarm*, then even without having warp drives or antimatter, you're already in a position where the energy required to push a starship at relativistic velocities is trivial compared to the total output of the star you're collecting. So it's not like we even need warp drives to travel to the stars.

*(Which can be done in the Solar system without dismantling any the planets. There's more than enough material within the Sun itself, which can be mined using starlifting techniques. As a bonus, we could use starlifting technology to prolong the life of the Sun, preventing it from getting too bright as it ages and progressing to the red giant phase.)

The indications from mathematical models are that a warp drive would require literally astronomical amounts of energy to operate. We're talking about amounts equal to the mass-energy of Jupiter here. That's more mass-energy than 300 Earths. This is a separate issue from generating the required amounts of negative energy, by the way. So even if turns out that these currently-understood energy requirements are an over-estimate, they would have to be reduced to at least 1/300th of current estimates, likely much more than that, if we are to be able to operate a warp drive without first growing to become a Kardashev 2 civilisation.

Note that even if the warp drive mass-energy requirement can be lowered to the point where it equals the Voyager probe, the only fuel with the energy density necessary is antimatter, according to physicist Sean Carrol. Which has its own production issues, costing as it currently does about $100 trillion per gram to synthesise. And unlike with STL starships, we don't have the option of leaving the power plant behind and pushing the ship using lasers or particle beams.

To be fair they said all that about Fax machines in the early days.

To be fair they said all that about Fax machines in the early days.

Magic - A picture from nowhere - burn the witch
It's extremely hard to dismiss possibilities for massive technical advancement unless you dismiss human ingenuity.

Heavier-Than-Air Flight Is Impossible

The demonstration that no possible combination of known substances, known forms of machinery and known forms of force, can be united in a practical machine by which men shall fly along distances through the air, seems to the writer as complete as it is possible for the demonstration to be.
— Simon Newcomb, 1900

Newcomb was a respected scientist of the time but he totally failed to use any imagination, thus messed up in epic fashion.
He died in 1909, six years after the the Wright brothers proved him wrong - probably feeling right a right dick.

So many people dismissed the possibility of powered flight because they dismissed the possibility of technical advancement. The same goes for long distance (even faster than light) space travel - Just because we have no idea how it will work now doesn't mean some bright spark won't sort it out at some point in the future.
All I see on this thread are people explaining why powered flight is impossible, all using much the same reasoning as Newcomb and people like him, but talking about spaceflight instead.

Back
Top Bottom