Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question What killed sega hardware

I'm surprised nobody had mentioned the fact you could play copied games on the dreamcast without any kind of modification?

playstations were sold at less than cost. Sony and Sega were going to collaborate on bringing a console of that gen to market but the SEGA board vetoed.

almost every console released has been sold at less than cost...

all about game resale

jebus nintendo's almost demise before it carved a niche as quirky

was using its own branded type of media

playstation used cds

that was the down fall

nintendo backed out

sega was caught snoozing

Nintendo have never sold their products at less than cost, as far as I am aware.

It was fun setting up the infrastructure for Sega's online folly though :)
I had more than one person telling me Phantasy Star Online was the best online experience they ever had. Dreamarena Certainly was a worthwhile experience - it proved online console gaming was feasible, but to be successful, it needed to be either a free number or some sort of subscription/flat rate service. I barely used it (so maybe that's why), but it's one of the few things I don't hate about the Dreamcast.

Heres Digitiser's take on it, with comments from insincere Dave.

http://www.digitiser2000.com/main-p...or-20-years-with-comments-from-insincere-dave

While not wanting to turn today's Digitiser into an inadvertent Sega-bashing sesh, we nevertheless feel compelled to report that ex-Sega Boss Tom Kalinske has laid into his former employer, stating that it has been making the wrong decisions "for literally 20 years".

Coincidentally, this is around the time Kalinske - who oversaw the firm during its Mega Drive heyday, where he gained a reputation for his aggressive attempts to bury competitor Nintendo - left the company.

Speaking to Gamesindustry.biz, Kalinske chimed in on Sega's recent woes - it has been forced to move offices, reduce staff, and adopt a strategy that places focus on mobile titles.

Hissing through a cardboard tube with each alternate word, he said: "It could have been avoided if they had made the right decisions going back literally 20 years ago, but they seem to have made the wrong decisions for 20 years."

2535629.jpg

Intriguingly, Kalinske also spoke about a mooted Sony/Sega union - bringing together Sega's game expertise with Sony's hardware experience.

As he gently caressed an old man's foot, Kalinske revealed: "We went to Sony and they agreed, 'Great idea.' Whether we called it Sega-Sony or Sony-Sega, who cared? We go to Sega and the board turned it down, which I thought was the stupidest decision ever made in the history of business. And from that moment on, I didn't feel they were capable of making the correct decisions in Japan any longer."

Since leaving Sega, Kalinske has worked in the interactive edutainment industry, and is currently vice chairman of Leap Frog. Who cares?
6192808.jpg

"Well done to Tom for bravely saying what we've all been thinking!!!!!!?! And who can blame him for jumping off the Sega boat just at the point things started to go wrong?!??!!!!! Sega are a bunch of idiots for letting him go!!!!?!! If they'd paid him more money to stick around I'm certain Sega wouldn't be in the toilet today!!!!?! After all, I'm sure Tom never made a bad business decision in his life!!!! Tom Kalinske is a legend!!!!!!?"

And don't get me started on them allowing Yu Suzuki to basically empty the entire company bank account on Shenmue, which cost the equivalent of between 10 to 15 triple-A titles of the time

:facepalm:

Heh, while Shenmue pushed the industry in the right direction, I think sinking so much resources into a single game for a not very well established platform was a huge mistake, Although I'm not sure how they'd say "no" to the guy who produced pretty much all big money-makers in the company.

Although I'm not sure how they'd say "no" to the guy who produced pretty much all big money-makers in the company.

"Can I have $70 million dollars to produce a game which will have to sell to every single user on the single platform we are selling it on to break even?"

"No".

Wish they'd make a third Shenmue, but I was reading that Sega might stop making console games altogether :(

Dreamcast was the best console I have owned I think
What are your criteria, what is its competition and how does it rank as the best against those competition under those criteria?

For quality of games in the context of their era, my order of those I've owned would be:

PlayStation 2
Xbox 360
Atari ST (pushing the definition but it was effectively a games machine)
DS
SNES
Wii
GameCube
ZX Spectrum (as above)
3DS

And then the Dreamcast right at the very bottom. It just didn't consistently deliver the right games at the right time. They were backward looking, narrow and basically too arcadey for the era, for me at least.

Last edited:
The Dreamcast was fantastic. I loved Crazy Taxi for it's arcadey-ness. Soul Calibur, Shenmue....probably in my top 5 games of all time.

Soul Caliber wasn't a patch on the Virtua Arcade series. Dreamcast did have VF3tb but PS2 had VF4, which was the series peak. And Soul Caliber wasn't an exclusive anyway!

Crazy Taxi was a good enough game but it was a throwback. A solid 8/10 kind of game. If that's the highlight then the console really is in trouble.

Shenmue was Shenmue. It was alright but actually rather tedious to play, in my opinion.

What are your criteria, what is its competition and how does it rank as the best against those competition under those criteria?

Honestly my memory of the console probably in part comes from the fact that so many fond memories of my childhood and childhood friends involve it. I can't give a broken down objective view of why it is the 'best' console, I am sure it isn't, but for me at that point in my life it was.

Soul Caliber wasn't a patch on the Virtua Arcade series. Dreamcast did have VF3tb but PS2 had VF4, which was the series peak. And Soul Caliber wasn't an exclusive anyway!

Crazy Taxi was a good enough game but it was a throwback. A solid 8/10 kind of game. If that's the highlight then the console really is in trouble.

Shenmue was Shenmue. It was alright but actually rather tedious to play, in my opinion.

When Dreamcast had the all time classic Soul Calibur, PS2 had Tekken Tag Tournament, which was shit.

If I'm to judge consoles by a single, defining game, my list still works, pretty much. Off the top of my head:

PS2 -- Shadow of the Colussus
360 -- Mass Effect
ST -- Virus
DS -- Disgaea
SNES -- Mario Kart
Wii -- Wii Sports
GameCube -- Wind Waker
Spectrum -- Elite
3DS -- Pokemon X/Y (not exactly era-defining, but opened up multi player in a new way)
Dreamcast -- Rez, maybe? Hard to really think of one worth defining it by.

But it's the breadth of quality that the top 5 really win on, not just a few AAA-titles.

Dreamcast had "magic". I can't explain to you what it is, how you quantify it, or put it in a list. That's why it's one of the best consoles ever, my second favourite after the Saturn.

Dreamcast had "magic". I can't explain to you what it is, how you quantify it, or put it in a list. That's why it's one of the best consoles ever, my second favourite after the Saturn.

I think it was something about the controller too

Not to me it didn't. I had one too. To me, it felt like a white elephant.

Yeah, about two years after Soul calibur was out. I meant at the time.
Well, PS2 came out later. If you want to compare consoles across the years, you can't do it by what had what game earlier, or the Atari 400 is going to win hands down. After all. In 1979, the Dreamcast had no games at all.

Well, PS2 came out later. If you want to compare consoles across the years, you can't do it by what had what game earlier, or the Atari 400 is going to win hands down. After all. In 1979, the Dreamcast had no games at all.

You are the one comparing games from different times, not me.

Honestly my memory of the console probably in part comes from the fact that so many fond memories of my childhood and childhood friends involve it. I can't give a broken down objective view of why it is the 'best' console, I am sure it isn't, but for me at that point in my life it was.
Which is fair enough. But you said it was your best console, not your favourite one. I can accept the latter but I'm going to have to take issue with the former. "Best" implies some kind of ranking metric.

Back
Top Bottom