Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

L'ardoise

Fascinating 1970 crime/jail caper with Salvatore Adamo. Adamo also supplied the music.

Rather abrupt ending, but that's possibly the online upload for you.

Finally got around to watching Saltburn. Didn't really live up to the hype - basically seemed like a more erotically charged Talented Mr Ripley.

Irish Wish on Netflix. Maybe this should go in the Netflix thread, but I'm not recommending it. It's a silly rom-com. But what I needed last night. "Be careful what you wish for" was the theme of the movie.

Resurrected the Hugh Laurie vehicle, House. Still only on season 1 and can't figure whether his character is engaging or obnoxious. Either way, it's not so much the character of Gregory House - it's Laurie's acting. The voice, the mannerisms, etc. You can see him acting (if that makes and sense).

The show hoovered up many awards throughout its existence, so am guessing the acclaim is deserved and he eventually settles into the role?

Struggling through Zeffirelli's epic Jesus of Nazareth at the moment. It's veering between overtly reverential and flat or hammy acting. Great cast, though. James Earl Jones and Donald Pleasance as 2 of the 3 wise men!

Saw this when it was originally shown and all can remember from then was Robert Powell as adult Jesus. Haven't seen him yet but hopefully the story picks up. No spoilers!

Catching up on "Chernobyl" which I didn't watch when it first came out.

It's brilliant, powerful, some excellent performances but harrowing.

Watched the two "Venom" movies over the weekend. First one was fun, second was alright however the nearly 12 year old thought they were both great and now regularly asks if he can eat people's heads!

• Wow
Reactions: Sue
Lone Star - John Sayles' best film, putting a murder mystery on the Texan-Mexico border as a reason to explore people and politics. One of my favourite films of all time and with the always good Chris Cooper in great form - he should have got more lead roles from this.

Diamond Head - Charlton Heston is a domineering Hawaiian plantation owner, picked for a run to be one of the first senators for Hawaii. Only for his sister's intention to marry a native Hawaiian to set in chain events that cause his downfall. Pretty bad politics by modern standards but it was probably very liberal at the time. It's not very good, can't seem to make up its mind if it wants to be Guess Who's Coming to Dinner or a sort of Hawaiian Gone with the Wind and veers about the place. A sort of curiosity.

Deadline USA - Bogart is the editor of the last crusading newspaper, now facing the chop and being takeover by more commercial competition. One of his reporters gets killed by the mob and there is a last minute fight to report a real story. Very liberal picture of journalism as the great fourth estate. But it is pretty tight, well written stuff with Bogart doing his stuff surrounded by a good cast of character actors.

The Night Fighters

Aka A Terrible Beauty, the1960 drama about Irish freedom fighters starts off promising but veers into melodrama. Odd Man Out and Shake Hands with the Devil did this kind of film much better.

On the plus side, Robert Mitchum, Richard Harris, Dan O'Herlihy and Cyril Cusack give it their best.

Lone Star - John Sayles' best film, putting a murder mystery on the Texan-Mexico border as a reason to explore people and politics. One of my favourite films of all time and with the always good Chris Cooper in great form - he should have got more lead roles from this.

Diamond Head - Charlton Heston is a domineering Hawaiian plantation owner, picked for a run to be one of the first senators for Hawaii. Only for his sister's intention to marry a native Hawaiian to set in chain events that cause his downfall. Pretty bad politics by modern standards but it was probably very liberal at the time. It's not very good, can't seem to make up its mind if it wants to be Guess Who's Coming to Dinner or a sort of Hawaiian Gone with the Wind and veers about the place. A sort of curiosity.

Deadline USA - Bogart is the editor of the last crusading newspaper, now facing the chop and being takeover by more commercial competition. One of his reporters gets killed by the mob and there is a last minute fight to report a real story. Very liberal picture of journalism as the great fourth estate. But it is pretty tight, well written stuff with Bogart doing his stuff surrounded by a good cast of character actors.
Lone Star is a great film

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex

Bette Davis and Errol Flynn as the eponymous pair. Also Vincent Price as a conniving courtier. Early example of a colour blockbuster. One of those ones that has aged surprisingly well for what it is.

Synecdoche, New York

Yeah, it's well-acted. But while I enjoy a bit of Ars Gratia Artis there's a limit to just how much self-indulgence I can tolerate. I understand why some people think it's a great film, but I found it intolerable. Much as I liked Eternal Sunshine, it made me want to slap Kaufman if I ever see him and tell him to get over himself.

Synecdoche, New York

Yeah, it's well-acted. But while I enjoy a bit of Ars Gratia Artis there's a limit to just how much self-indulgence I can tolerate. I understand why some people think it's a great film, but I found it intolerable. Much as I liked Eternal Sunshine, it made me want to slap Kaufman if I ever see him and tell him to get over himself.
Too late :(

Finished off Jesus of Nazareth (1977).

Don't remember being bored with it as a kid, but it was a bit of a trudge. Still reeling from a magnificent cast. One scene had James Mason, Laurence Olivier, Anthony Quinn and Ian Holm in it... none of whom I was particularly aware of decades ago.

Still prefer the Scorsese take.

Argylle. Matthew Vaughn’s latest action film. Echoes of Kingsman but a notably inferior product to his previous work, and pretty flawed and underwhelming.

The script goes a bit all over the place in places, and whereas there are some good fight sequences as you would expect from him, there’s a much cheaper pedestrian feel to the film, with some shockingly bad CGI during the action scenes.

It’s not all terrible; it has an impressive ensemble cast, and any spy comedy with Sam Rockwell, Samuel L Jackson, Catherine O’Hara, Bryce Dallas Howard, and Bryan Cranston among others is surely worth a punt if you can watch it for free. Absolutely don’t pay for it, though. 5/10

Love Songs - I've never really been that impressed by a Christophe Honoré film and this has not changed my view of him. It's probably unfortunate that I watched it so soon after the French Musical season as despite in that genre and with nods to Demy, Honoré is definitely no Demy. Umbrellas works because Demy creates an emotional world we buy into despite the thinness of the plot. Here, as in all of Honoré's film the main feeling I have for the characters is annoyance. And the attempts to land the film in reality jar not with the fantasy elements but the simple things like people walking into each others apartments. There are some good performances, I will say Honoré does get the best from his actors. But I'd skip and (re-)watch Demy. Also I'm not sure exactly how old one of the characters is meant to be, but the talk of school and homework implies below 18, making the relationship between them and Louis Garrel a bit sus.

Inferno - Selfish millionaire Robert Ryan breaks his leg and is left to die in the desert by his wife and her new lover. He has to pull himself to together to survive. No time for nonsense here, everything pretty much stripped to the bone, and for someone that has broken his leg Ryan is awfully agile, but still a nice 80 minutes of escapism. It looks good too with the Technicolor used to show both the desert and Rhonda Fleming (the no good spouse) to best effect.

Vice Squad - neat little police procedural with Edward G Robinson a captain of detectives trying to deal with a number of problems - a dead cop, a gigolo, a possible bank robbery and more - some of these strands coming together. It's no masterpiece but it is one of those 90 minute films that deserves to be better known. Very enjoyable.

Force of Evil - a noir with John Garfield focusing on the damage illegal gambling does. The message comes on a bit too heavy at times but there is enough in the film to keep it going. With plenty of events, lines and still some decent characterisation in 80 minutes.

The Last Witness - Wolfgang Staubte's film about the flaws of the West German legal system. A child has been murdered and not long after the mother is arrested. The father is a well to do business man who is already married and so the system is stacked against the mother. It's not as good as Staubte's excellent The Murders are Amongst Us, about re-building after the war, but it rollicks along at a good pace and has enough to keep you interested.

Highway to Hell - Chad Lowe falls asleep at the wheel and as punishment a Hell Cop takes his girlfriend, Kirsty Swanson (Buffy from the film version of the Vampire Slayer) to hell for Lucifer. I suppose it is a horror although there is nothing in it remotely frightening. It's as cheap as chips, has a daft plot and a pretty ropey script yet it kind of gets away with it. Partly because it plays it straightish and doesn't got for the sort of nudge nudge, wink wink smarts that too many horror comedies do. And partly because despite the budget obviously being tiny it has some imagination which makes up for the lack of money in terms of the films look.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom