Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

I watched this again, because I showed it to a friend. This film appears to be divisive and I can see why some think this is a bad film but I believe the clunky dialogue and bad acting are intentional. Similar to what Stuart Gordon did with Re-Animator and From Beyond, this is a deadpan body-horror comedy. For an hour and a bit Malignant appears to be a middling horror film about a woman who shares a pysychic connection with a creepy serial killer. Then the last act reveales what or who its antagonist is, which leads into the most joyfully batshit last 30 minutes in recent cinema. Again I sat there with a big grin.
Yea I enjoyed it after you posted it. Some genuinely scary bits...and watching the trailer again I thought I could easily rewatch it.

The Night House, horror film with Rebecca Hall, which is quite good. Grief is a fertile ground for horror yet again as Hall plays a women who just buried her husband. Soon after the funeral it appears that there is presence in the house her husband had built for them and she finds out that he had secrets. Rebecca Hall is great and the film is an atmospheric slowburn, even if it turns out to be an artier take on
the Final Destination movies.

David Bruckner, director of this is now working on a Hellraiser remake/reboot and I can see him being a good fit.

Bad Day at Black Rock - With miserable weather outside and after a not great week it was nice to revisit this. A great cast (Tracy, Ryan, Marvin, Borgnine, Walter Brennan) in a good looking film with no fat (only 81 mins!). Wonderfully enjoyable. If you have not seen it go and watch it.

Man on a Swing - Not head of this before it showed up on KG, nor had I heard of the director Frank Perry (although I have seen Mommie Dearest) but after this I am tempted to check out some more of his work. A strange film, supposedly based on true events Cliff Robertson plays a sheriff who investgating a murder is approached by a supported psychic who wants to help (or hinder?). The ambiguity is very well constructed, the initial phases of the investigation and Robertson's performance (an actor I'm not always mad keen on) are low key, which works well with the contrast of Joel Grey's performance as the psychic (full of twitches, tics and voices). A interesting well made film that deserves to be better known.

A Bullet is Waiting - Jean Simmons plays a tomboy on a farm who while waiting for her father (an ex-Oxford don who disgusted by war has chosen to farm in American west) to return has two men, a deputy and a criminal, drop in from a plane that is going down. A sort of psychological western noir, with lots of discussion of what is right and wrong between the three characters, it's a very 50s movie. I've seen it referred to as a poor man's Naked Spur and that is not totally inaccurate, it is not of the same quality as Mann's film but it does look great - wonderful technicolour scenes.

What's New Pussycat - There are good reasons why this film is probably less famous than the Tom Jones theme song, it is a not particularly funny mess, and whereas there is not a space minute in Bad Day at Black Rock this needs a very severe editing. Woody Allen is credited as the writer and there are some good Allen-esque jokes but I strongly suspect that the script went though a lot of revisions. O'Toole does a decent job as the lead, but Schneider is landed with a pig of role and Sellers is given far too free a leash. One to avoid.

You Don't Nomi, a documentary about the initial critical annihilation and later re-assessment and eventual cult status of Paul Verhoeven's Vegas stripper epic Showgirls. I enjoyed it but then I love that film.

You Don't Nomi, a documentary about the initial critical annihilation and later re-assessment and eventual cult status of Paul Verhoeven's Vegas stripper epic Showgirls. I enjoyed it but then I love that film.
Oh Reno. It (Showgirls) is bloody awful :D. But each to their own and all.

Did you watch Burlesque? Reminded me of Showgirls but worse though with added Cher.
I quite enjoyed Burlesque but it's no Showgirls. :D I'll draw the line at Striptease with Demi Moore but then so does the documentary.

• Haha
Reactions: Sue
I'm not much of a bad movie connoisseur, something like The Room bores me after 20 minutes as it stays bad in exactly the same way all the way through. Showgirls is a mixture of bad writing (how much coke was Joe Eszterhas doing at the time ?) and great directing by Paul Verhoeven. The film looks gorgeous and it moves along perfectly. I find this All-About-Eve-on-meth wildly entertaining, while constantly going wtf at the dialogue and Berkley's bizarre, yet somehow I’m brave performance. There is a young, beautiful actress going to Klaus Kinski levels of deranged intensity at the centre of the film and it's a car crash of a performance which makes me sit open mouthed through the entire thing. Gina Gershon knows that she is in one of the campest films ever made and she channels ever drag queen she's ever watched. I mean...it's great !

Last edited:
I went to see The Room at the Prince Charles (where it's a bit of an event thing) as part of a double bill with The Disaster Artist. It was indeed truly dreadful and in an 'absolutely nothing at all to recommend it' kind of way. I was amazed by all the people there who'd obviously seen it loads of times and were shouting out dialogue and throwing plastic spoons and all that. I mean out of all the films ever made, why would you waste your life watching that loads of times...? :confused:

(It was also interesting to note the difference in production values even when The Disaster Artist was reproducing scenes from The Room.)

I went to see The Room at the Prince Charles (where it's a bit of an event thing) as part of a double bill with The Disaster Artist. It was indeed truly dreadful and in an 'absolutely nothing at all to recommend it' kind of way. I was amazed by all the people there who'd obviously seen it loads of times and were shouting out dialogue and throwing plastic spoons and all that. I mean out of all the films ever made, why would you waste your life watching that loads of times...? :confused:

(It was also interesting to note the difference in production values even when The Disaster Artist was reproducing scenes from The Room.)
I haven't seen the film, but I read the book The Disaster Artist and that made me laugh out loud several times. I only checked out The Room afterwards, alone at home without the benefit of alcohol and I didn't even make it to the end.

I haven't seen the film, but I read the book The Disaster Artist and that made me laugh out loud several times. I only checked out The Room afterwards, alone at home without the benefit of alcohol and I didn't even make it to the end.
I thought The Disaster Artist was really good (haven't read the book though.)

Last edited:
Over the weekend we watched a couple of DVDs that were discs three & four in an Orson Welles boxset. . . turns out he's only in either of them for no more than five minutes (we have Lady from Shanghai and Citizen Kane still to watch, so all's well on that front).

Waterloo

Not famous, but maybe it should be? A literal cast of thousands reenact the famous battle. Christopher Plummer is suave and sophisticated as Welly, and not once do you expect him to burst into song. Rod Steiger, as the Corsican monster, slices the jambon thickly. Welles, alas, is forgettable as the "official" French king. Battle scenes intense.

A Man for All Seasons

OW gets a bit more screen time as Cardinal Wolsey. This is all very good, and a (rare?) case of a stage play transferring effectively to the big screen. Scofield is damn good as Thomas More, communicating well that his obstinacy is rooted in principle. We're not quite at the point where Henry the Eighth will be seen simply as a monster, but he is an ass. Leo Mckern and John Hurt lend support in crucial roles (Thomas Cromwell and Richard Rich, respectively).

Over the weekend we watched a couple of DVDs that were discs three & four in an Orson Welles boxset. . . turns out he's only in either of them for no more than five minutes (we have Lady from Shanghai and Citizen Kane still to watch, so all's well on that front).

Waterloo

Not famous, but maybe it should be? A literal cast of thousands reenact the famous battle. Christopher Plummer is suave and sophisticated as Welly, and not once do you expect him to burst into song. Rod Steiger, as the Corsican monster, slices the jambon thickly. Welles, alas, is forgettable as the "official" French king. Battle scenes intense.

A Man for All Seasons

OW gets a bit more screen time as Cardinal Wolsey. This is all very good, and a (rare?) case of a stage play transferring effectively to the big screen. Scofield is damn good as Thomas More, communicating well that his obstinacy is rooted in principle. We're not quite at the point where Henry the Eighth will be seen simply as a monster, but he is an ass. Leo Mckern and John Hurt lend support in crucial roles (Thomas Cromwell and Richard Rich, respectively).
Well you'll definitely get more OW in The Lady from Shanghai and Citizen Kane. (The former has Welles' Oirish accent but also the fabulous Rita Hayworth so swings and roundabouts.

Spartacus (1960) 2015 digital restoration <looks lush and with previously cut scenes (oysters and snails) restored.
Something I hadnt noticed from watching previously (years ago) is the narrative that the bigger the slave rebellion gets the more fascistic Rome becomes.
The "exodus" scenes of thousands of ex-slaves traipsing across italy are really breathtaking - you just dont get that scale anymore without it being CGI

Waterloo

This appeals to me...just seen theres a 1080 upload of it on youtube at the moment

Halloween Kills, the middle film in David Gordon Green's Halloween trilogy, a franchise which, starting with the 1978 classic, now has three alternate timelines. Despite starring Jamie Lee Curtis being and Gordon Green having on occasion shown talent, these just aren't very good. Apparently it cleared up at the box office despite poor to middling reviews and we can look forward to Halloween Ends next year but I'm almost certain it won't.

...and I'll probably still watch it.

High Sierra - Bogart's big breakthrough hard and cynical with top support from Ida Lupino. Still great after the third time of watching

Colorado Territory - Raoul Walsh remakes his own High Sierra moving the genre to noir/(western) to western/(noir), Joel McCrea replaces Bogart and Virginia Mayo takes over the Ida Lupino role. It's a decent film and the shift of genre keeps things interesting. But it does not quite stand up to the original.

Bang Boom Bang AKA a Sure Thing - Not the John Cusack movie but a German comedy action flick. The action is weak and the comedy is mixed some nice dry touches with some sledgehammer rubbish. The plot has a lazy stoner having to come up with some money fast to cover his former partner's share of the heist that he has spent while his partner was in jail. There are a number of other intersecting strands. Not really one I'd bother with personally, if you want some Germanic comedy action you'd be better off watching some Wolfgang Mumberger.

Pushover - not from the top draw of noir but with more than enough to recommend it. Fred MacMurray recycles his Double Indemnity role and Kim Novak is rather good as the the femme fatale drawing him into trouble. The set up of the locating the action in the apartment block during a stakeout keeps things on edge.

The Lost Command - Strange US/European collaboration, Anthony Quinn is a colonel in the French paratroop regiment who unlike his commanding officers he's risen though the ranks and knows how to fight (as so often is the case). The film starts as with the French being driven out of Vietnam before Quinn, Alain Delon and co head for Algeria. Its not a pretty average film despite the quality of the cast, the most interesting thing is that this was released the same year, and covers the same sort of story, as The Battle of Algiers. There's a gulf both artistic and political between the two films but there is some interest in the comparison.

Last edited:
Really liking Justified on All4. Based around an Elmore Leonard modern day marshall with an old fashioned cowboy vibe. Great dialogue and storylines and excellent acting. Also interesting to see a side of the US (rural poor Kentucky) that you never normally see. Highly recommended.

Really liking Justified on All4. Based around an Elmore Leonard modern day marshall with an old fashioned cowboy vibe. Great dialogue and storylines and excellent acting. Also interesting to see a side of the US (rural poor Kentucky) that you never normally see. Highly recommended.
That sounds right up my street. I will suggest to my Dad as I reckon he’ll like it too.

I’ve been enjoying Deadwood a huge amount.

Reactions: Sue
Four Hours at the Capitol, an HBO documentary about the rioting at the Capitol on the 6th of January. The fact that it gives a voice to far right nutjobs and conspiraloons without comment or context is rather disturbing, but that is probably the reason why they got hold of all the new footage, some of which is shockingly violent. The "evenhanded" approach did stick in my craw though, like making a documentary about IS/Daesh where they get to make their case for sawing people's heads off without being challenged. On the other hand you get the undiluted crazy of these people.

Last edited:
Four Hours at the Capitol, an HBO documentary about the rioting at the Capitol on the 6th of January. The fact that it gives a voice to far right nutjobs and conspiraloons without comment or context is rather disturbing, but that is probably the reason why they got hold of all the new footage, some of which is shockingly violent. The "evenhanded" approach did stick in my craw though, like making a documentary about IS/Daesh where they get to make their case for sawing people heads off without being challenged. On the other hand you get the undiluted crazy of these people.
If you’re HBO, operating in a country split around 50/50 between two opposing parties whose supporters mainly hate the other side and think they’re crazy, even handed is probably all you can do.

If you’re HBO, operating in a country split around 50/50 between two opposing parties whose supporters mainly hate the other side and think they’re crazy, even handed is probably all you can do.
50% of the population didn't violently storm the Capitol though and I would classify those who did as right wing terrorists. There is a long history of going easy on right wing terrorists in the US and in many other countries.

50% of the population didn't violently storm the Capitol though and I would classify those who did as right wing terrorists. There is a long history of going easy on right wing terrorists in the US and in many other countries.
Indeed.

Back
Top Bottom