Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What can I make with loads of mushrooms?

LilMissHissyFit

Disturbed in a pink bra
Ive got a huge load of mushrooms from my food co -op bag and they are going to go off unless I cook em.

My kids dont like them much so I need to get suggestions for things I can make and freeze in small portions for me.

any recipes to share anyone??:confused:

Soup, once you have made it and frozen it you can then add it to other recipes, and of course have it as soup. Just use some chopped onion as a base.

Soup, once you have made it and frozen it you can then add it to other recipes, and of course have it as soup. Just use some chopped onion as a base.
You could microwave sliced mushrooms. I sometimes put thinly sliced onions in a dish, micro for 4 mins (oh, add a bit of water first) then add sliced mushrooms and cook for a further four mins adding a little more water if necessary. This mixture can then be frozen and used as the basis for a spag boll or carbonera or a creamy sauce for chicken or anything like that.

Ive got a huge load of mushrooms from my food co -op bag and they are going to go off unless I cook em.

My kids dont like them much so I need to get suggestions for things I can make and freeze in small portions for me.

any recipes to share anyone??:confused:

Risotto - lots of recipies online. Or soup. Or try drying them in the airing cupboard?

Lots of mushroom and onion gravy. Just have that on mashed spuds for the next fortnight. My idea of heaven.

I wouldn't make anything I was going to freeze tbh. Even in spag bol the mushrooms go slimey and manky. Mushroom ketchup or something is a good idea. Why not make a huge mushroom stroganoff or risotto and just eat that for a couple of days.

I put them in pretty much everything so they wouldn't last long in this house.

If you can't use them all now, dry them out on some kitchen towel on a tray. They should retain a lot of condensed flavour and can then be added to risottos in the future (not the space-future but a month or 2 down the line).

Mushroom pate

Garlic mushrooms

Baked mushrooms with a topping of breadcrumbs and parmesan

there's a good mushroom and barley soup on the bbc good food website. I like it very much. you also need some dried porcini mushrooms though... it freezes well though. I make it lots.

Duxelles - best way to reduce a mountain of mushrooms to a manageable size, and very storeable too. Basically you chop the mushrooms reasonably fine (about the size you'd chop onions into); melt a bit of butter & oil in a pan, sweat a bit of onion and garlic in the fat (don't brown it them, but let them soften completely), then add in the mushrooms and cook down for quite a while - could be 20 to 40 minutes depending on what quantity you're making - over a medium heat, until it's no longer leaking any more liquid or juices - and means your stuffed-to-the-brim pan will now have only a smallish heap of duxelles paste sizzling away in it.

The paste will keep for at least a week in the fridge and much longer if you freeze it in small portions - like tablespoonfuls - and take them out to defrost as needed. Duxelles paste can then be put into the centre of an omelette, put into / onto pastry of various sorts for tarts/pies/filo packages, or used as a base for any number mushroomy sauces/soups/butters in the future.

Slice and then dry them on a tray in a very low oven (this takes a few hours) and then store in clean, dry warmed jars. They will last for months and can be added to all sorts of dishes once they have been rehydrated in a little boiling water.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Ooh, mushroom stroganoff and garlic mushrooms ftw!

I like to make a simple creamy mushroom sauce - chop garlic, fry, add sliced mushrooms, brown, add a pot of double cream and some freshly ground black pepper and sea salt - and pour over fresh tagliatelle. Serve with a green salad and some garlic bread.

Not really a recipe for freezing though, but very simple and lovely.

Slice mushrooms, fry in some butter, add a dash of brandy, lots of worcester sauce and some coarsely ground black pepper corns, add a few dollops of creme fraiche and serve on some lovely toasted bread. yum yum yum

Slice mushrooms, fry in some butter, add a dash of brandy, lots of worcester sauce and some coarsely ground black pepper corns, add a few dollops of creme fraiche and serve on some lovely toasted bread. yum yum yum

Ooh, that sounds lovely. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom