Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommendation VPN preferably free, or inexpensive 2021 edition

Contemplating a VPN - new job is going to mean some nights away, so might be doing slightly more than before with mobile phone or laptop (although not intending to do anything like online banking / shopping while i'm away)

presume it's a good idea to have a VPN in the circumstances?

have seen some good reviews of Proton VPN (which has the advantage of being free) - any thoughts?

Me too, but IIRC, isn't that dear. I took a three year deal so paid up until 2025.

The full price is ridiculous (£210 for 2 years). They always have deals on for newbies and various offers throughout the year. So you get the first year(s) at the reduced price and if you let it roll over you pay full whack from renewal depending on which deal you're on.

Hence my post earlier about paying about £10 per year upthread.

1644775112163.png

Last edited:
Contemplating a VPN - new job is going to mean some nights away, so might be doing slightly more than before with mobile phone or laptop (although not intending to do anything like online banking / shopping while i'm away)

presume it's a good idea to have a VPN in the circumstances?

have seen some good reviews of Proton VPN (which has the advantage of being free) - any thoughts?

Good but limited when using the free version. iirc you can only choose from three countries. It works well, though.

Good but limited when using the free version. iirc you can only choose from three countries

I'm not really looking to use a VPN to pretend i'm somewhere else, just a security thing - is UK one of the three countries? And if not, will this cause issues?

(ETA - my nights away will be in the UK not elsewhere)

I'm not really looking to use a VPN to pretend i'm somewhere else, just a security thing - is UK one of the three countries? And if not, will this cause issues?

(ETA - my nights away will be in the UK not elsewhere)

Unfortunately, UK not included in free version. If you're using it for the iPlayer or National Lottery it'll block your access. Depends what you're doing I suppose.

1644776608212.png

After going with several big names over the years I settled on Mullvad and cannot recommend them enough. €5 per month PAYG (they don't do contracts) and works on everything I have, reliably, even on tricky set-ups.

I'm trying out PIA as I need social accounts to appear as if I'm posting in certain countries where my clients are, rather than where I actually am. Hoping it will work for that?

May also try and sneak in some i-player....the problem I've had before is getting it to cast from mac to chromecast and keep the VPN going. I can play player via VPN on imac totally fine but when it's casting something happens! Think I maybe need to VPN the router?

I'm using Super VPN on my Samsung, the free version. It's fine and allows me to watch iPlayer in Spain. So far it's absolutely rubbish on my ipad.

Back
Top Bottom