Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommendation VPN preferably free, or inexpensive 2021 edition

dessiato

🇪🇸 my spirit is crying for leaving
As above. I need to be able to appear to be in the U.K. so your suggestions greatly appreciated. I need it to work on iPad and Samsung. And possibly on my tv through firestick

The trouble with free ones is that they are very inconsistent and very often over loaded . Depends which sites you want to access in the UK. If its BBC/ITV then you need to be aware that because of intellectual rights and copyright the UKTV companies have dedicated teams that try and block VPNs even the paid ones so very hit and miss, one day one VPN might work other times it wont. I've given up with trying the UK TV apps tbh mainly because I rarely used them in the UK. If you want UK TV channels then IPTV is better value.
I use PIA Private Internet Access , Private Internet Access | Anonymous VPN Service Provider it works on both Apple and Android and Firesticks. IronSocket is good works on all platforms and they also do DNS Proxy which achieves the same results IronSocket - Your Best VPN Service to Torrent, Hide IP Address, Smart DNS Proxy, HTTP Proxy, SOCKS5 Proxy and More!

I also use PIA, its decent, but whether its in your price range is another story. There's apps for iOS, Android and Fire TV. Also Windows/Linux and browser extensions. You can also use OpenVPN which I use on my Asus Router if I need to force a particular client through the VPN that doesn't have a app (as its easier to set that up once than faff around with OpenVPN on multiple devices) and on my QNAP NAS. I think you can have upto 5 devices connected concurrently.

They did get took over recently, so I should probably review their privacy policies again, but I know previously there was 'no logging' of what a user gets up to on their network.

I've been letting it auto renew the last few years and should probably shop around for a cheaper solution, but it's one of those 'it works' so I just leave it type things.

PIA here too, works really smoothly. Mozillla does one but don't know what it's like, starts at $5/month for some reason.

I use Freedome VPN (cost £3-£4 a month) depending on plan, you can choose from a list of gateways one of which is in Dublin, I'm actually in the Midlands
1631732771188.png

I use Pure VPN. it's alright.. probs not the best but I've had various cheap deals with it.

Ive used it on linux terminal, the windows app and as a browser extension. No problems really.

You definitely do have to pay for a decent one with good software.

I'm using Nord VPN, but it isn't free.

Same - always get it when it is on offer through TopCashBack. Have it on iPad, MacBook, Win10 and Android. Works well on all of them.

View attachment 288511

I use Nord too. Not free but it’s not very expensive. Under £30/year if you sign up for 2 years.

Another vote for Nord

Nord VPN is run by members of Anonymous. How else do you think Anonymous makes its $$$.

Anonymous goes on about how they're a group of online activists that's a de-centralised organisation who's chief goal is to promote truthfulness and make everyone accountable blah blah blah, but really Anonymous is just another online money making machine. And yeah the upper levels of the Anonymous is completely made up of social anarchy movement revolutionaries who are secretly hoping the corona virus will cause the collapse of the global economy/capitalist system.

These social anarchy movement revolutionaries want to overthrow all the governments of the world and do away with the leaders/political class. How that would work I'm not sure, to remove the power base of the entire political classes isn't going to be that straight forward.

Just had my NordVPN renewal in 30 days email.

I think I paid summat like £40 for 3 years after some cashback deal.
Now - $99 for 1 year. Fuck. That.

Opinions sought on a replacement that plays nice with MacOS, iPad OS, Android and Windows 10 - that's what I use Nord on now and it works well across all of them.

Last edited:
For my phone, I use something called Thunder VPN, which is free. It gives you ads after connection, but you can just minimise the app at that point. I don't really see what I'd be paying for if I paid.

Just had my NordVPN renewal in 30 days email.

I think I paid summat like £40 for 3 years after some cashback deal - when I first started using them.
Now - $99 for 1 year. Fuck. That.

Opinions sought on a replacement that plays nice with MacOS, iPad OS, Android and Windows 10 - that's what I use Nord on now and it works well across all of them.
This is what I see when I look at this page:

1641085021162.png

VPN cost? Buy VPN with Credit Card, Crypto, iTunes | NordVPN

* The price is valid for the first term of your subscription. After the first term, your subscription will be automatically renewed for an additional 1-year term annually and you will be charged at then-applicable renewal price. The price is subject to change, but we will always send you a notification email prior to charging. Learn more

Nord VPN is run by members of Anonymous. How else do you think Anonymous makes its $$$.

Anonymous goes on about how they're a group of online activists that's a de-centralised organisation who's chief goal is to promote truthfulness and make everyone accountable blah blah blah, but really Anonymous is just another online money making machine. And yeah the upper levels of the Anonymous is completely made up of social anarchy movement revolutionaries who are secretly hoping the corona virus will cause the collapse of the global economy/capitalist system.

These social anarchy movement revolutionaries want to overthrow all the governments of the world and do away with the leaders/political class. How that would work I'm not sure, to remove the power base of the entire political classes isn't going to be that straight forward.

Couldn't have asked for a better recommendation on these boards, do you do marketing for Nord and have sussed this place out? I have used Nord in the past, will definitely use again if I need a VPN, thanks for providing that information.

* The price is valid for the first term of your subscription. After the first term, your subscription will be automatically renewed for an additional 1-year term annually and you will be charged at then-applicable renewal price. The price is subject to change, but we will always send you a notification email prior to charging. Learn more

I think I will try signing up with a different email account - that should sort it and save me a few quid - bit of a pain but it should only be a pain at the start of a new 2 yr term I suppose

I think I will try signing up with a different email account - that should sort it and save me a few quid - bit of a pain but it should only be a pain at the start of a new 2 yr term I suppose

Have just done this via TopCashback. Changed my email addy @TCB first to the one I was going to use @NORD.

Paid £74 and change for 2 yr subscription and will get a 90% cashback refund because it is a 'new' subscription - which means I have paid just under £22 for 2 years of NordVPN :) as they exclude the VAT in the calculation

1644701725207.png

1644698896910.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom