Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Victoria Line closing early

The press release says the line will close at 11pm.
http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_release.jsp?releaseid=11710

During 2007/8, major Tube improvement works will include:

Victoria line: Over 18 extensive weekend closures for line upgrade work, including two weekends of full line closures and 4 partial weekend closures. Additionally, the Victoria line will close at 23:00 hours every night from Monday to Thursday between 23 July and 22 November 2007 to assist Metronet with delivery of this major line upgrade. Early closure of the Victoria line will be suspended if it coincides with a Premiership football match at White Hart Lane or Emirates and if there is a major event at Finsbury Park;

Alternative travel arrangements for the Victoria line early closures will include ticket acceptance on most local bus routes and two special bus services:

From Brixton to Victoria (where passengers will be able to use the Circle and District lines): starting at 23:00 to close of traffic; and
From Walthamstow Central to Finsbury Park (where passengers can catch the Piccadilly line): starting at 23:00 to close of traffic.

er, tube to Stockwell and a bus to Brixton will add on an extra 10mins of travelling to your life

I will personally make it up to you, honest gov. Here, take this sample of asbestos as a token of my love.

Oh doesn't affect me too much - tube to Oval, then bus up the hill. Pretty much the same, give or take ten mins.

But what about gigs happening at the Windmill? Offline at Jamm? It's going to be harder to entice people to Thursday night events here if they have to leave at 10pm to get home.

mhwfc said:
That'll be fun after chucking out time at the Academy, with everyone trying to get onto the South Eastern train to Victoria instead :eek:

They'll just do what they did before.. put buses on. Great fun

NOT :D

I guess the alternative was pay staff more for working sunday night shifts. Dunno.

As for gigs at the Widnmill, maybe it will entice more people to go now they know it's not going to be packed out by folk travelling from cla'm?

It is a shame that we've become so reliant on a network of underground tunnels to get from one side of London to the other. It's quicker to cycle!

citydreams said:
?

It is a shame that we've become so reliant on a network of underground tunnels to get from one side of London to the other. It's quicker to cycle!

Is that the official TFL position :confused: :p

If I had my way, it would never open. :rolleyes:

(I don't actually mean this, I'm just testing out a new ultra irritating persona, that just tacks on the end of almost any thread, an entirely valueluess "If I had my way..." etc)

I guess the alternative was pay staff more for working sunday night shifts. Dunno.

ah, money that WOULD explain why they're not doing it on Sunday :D

I was assuming it was something to do with key workers or disadvantaged groups or the like.

Usually one or the other ;)

citydreams said:
As for gigs at the Widnmill, maybe it will entice more people to go now they know it's not going to be packed out by folk travelling from cla'm?

It's quicker to walk or get a bus than get a tube up to Stockwell and back to Brixton. Doubt it will affect the numbers at all :D

keicar said:
I can't find owt on tfl, not that that means anything.

anywhere that links to the Vic Line is displaying big yellow signs. You can't miss them, especially the one at Brixton

ianw said:
The press release says the line will close at 11pm.
http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_release.jsp?releaseid=11710

[24-4-2007 ]

But this one says it's earlier:

09 July 2007

Last services will pass through the central areas shortly after 10pm, but passengers can use a dedicated replacement bus service at either end of the Victoria line, or alternative Tube, bus and National Rail routes.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/5463.aspx

laptop said:
But this one says it's earlier:

Maybe they're saying earlier so if you need to get from one end of Victoria Line to other, leaving at 10.00 would be your safety option.

I feel sorry for anyone who has late flights from Stansted :(

Minnie_the_Minx said:
Maybe they're saying earlier so if you need to get from one end of Victoria Line to other, leaving at 10.00 would be your safety option.

If the last train is passing through central London (Oxford Circus) at 10-ish, then it leaves Brixton at least 12 minutes before that.

And, the other way, Tottenham Hale (for Stansted) 18 minutes before that.

laptop said:
If the last train is passing through central London (Oxford Circus) at 10-ish, then it leaves Brixton at least 12 minutes before that.

And, the other way, Tottenham Hale (for Stansted) 18 minutes before that.

Yes, I know it doesn't take 1 hour to get from one end to the other as Tottenham Hale is only 1/2 hour, BUT, the sign on Brixton says 10.30, NOT 10.00

I picked up a leaflet about this from the tube station yesterday. The times of the last tubes from Brixton during this Mon-Thurs will be

22.11, going to Walthamstow
22.21, going to Seven Sisters

Last train to Brixton arrives at 22.30.

Minnie_the_Minx said:
and it's only up the road from Elephant where there's loads of buses
Sure, but it's a fucking Herculean task getting people up to JAMM in the first place. Start adding buses and trips to the Elephant and I can see a lot of people not bothering.

People have some very odd distance-stretched perceptions about how far away JAMM is.

Well people will still be able to travel there OK, it's just the getting back that will be slightly trickier. I'm facing the same problem with a couple of nights I have coming up at the Windmill. Hopefully as people already have to get a bus down the hill, they won't mind staying on until Oval or Kennington. But I know what you mean.

editor said:
Sure, but it's a fucking Herculean task getting people up to JAMM in the first place. Start adding buses and trips to the Elephant and I can see a lot of people not bothering.

People have some very odd distance-stretched perceptions about how far away JAMM is.

Offer them all a bed for the night :D

This is rightly fucking me off. (Christ I'm even talking like a londoner now)

It fucks me up heading south to the odd urban event, but like many people this is my man station.

There's leaflets at Seven sisters with a breakdown of then the last train leaves.

But to summerise The last train leaves Oxford Circus at 22:23 Going north, and 22:17 going south.

Cock.

That's gonna piss me off no end, just dealing without the lower half of the vic line the last couple of weekends has been a pain since i keep forgetting about it :oops: :rolleyes: :mad:

cor, I hadn't even noticed either, because In an effort to shift some lard I don't get the tube to work anymore, and I haven't bothered going anywhere at all in the evenings because I'm a miserable bastard.

Back
Top Bottom