Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vauxhall & Nine Elms regeneration (and new river crossing?)

Brixton Hatter

Home is south London mate
Not sure if anyone is interested in Lambeth Council's proposed plans for Vauxhall and Nine Elms - details here:

http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/HousingPlanning/Planning/PlanningPolicy/VauxhallareaSPD.htm

- One of the things that caught my eye was a proposal for a new river crossing between Vauxhall/Nine Elms and Pimlico - which would be pedestrian and cycle only :)

- There's some nice words about making the junction (Vauxhall Cross) better for pedestrians and cyclists, but not many firm plans.

- Council seem to think they can build lots of new retail/commercial space, and a large number of tall buildings

- A continuous riverside walk is planned from Lambeth Bridge down through Battersea - this I would like to see.

There is an online exhibition you can view for more details here: http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/...ngPolicy/AVisionForVauxhallAreaExhibition.htm

Interesting thx. Does seem a bit vague so far. Funny bit of London, vauxhall. Pleasure gardens are cool, tho those cigarette things by the RVT entrance are strange.

I'm not against tall buildings per se - in fact they make complete sense in central London, but I'm reluctant to encourage Lambeth Council in Vauxhall given what they've already done to the area.

I'm not against tall buildings per se - in fact they make complete sense in central London, but I'm reluctant to encourage Lambeth Council in Vauxhall given what they've already done to the area.
Poss better to keep them all in one cluster round the Lego building than have the odd one or two round Lambeth?

This is what it could look like in future:

vauxhall%20towers-thumb-500x335-139648.bmp

Can I just use this opportunity to voice again how much I dislike St Georges fucking Wharf. It's a horrible miss-mash and po-mo monstrosity, right down (well up) to the daftly surplus tampax style wings on the roofline. Given the prices of that hole you'd expect something with more taste and ambition

Worse than that it's desolate landscaped drabness most of the time, many of the properties bought as pied a terre or overseas investment properties.The sparse remaining businesses in the complex, Tescos Express perhaps excepted, struggle away unconvincingly. There are a few affordable housing shoeboxes reluctantly left in there admittedly - all with cracking views of the bus garage or apartment walls - but it seems to be a building designed by wankers, for wankers.

One thing the plan will apparently do is get rid of the "hated Vauxhall gyratory" system. That's all good for me.

There's an article in the Lambeth Weekender with comments from the Vauxhall residents association complaining that the plans - which include 16,000 new homes, 3,500 in Vauxhall, "up to 40% 'affordable' " - don't offer anything for elderly people, or any sheltered housing, or anything for lower paid workers like nurses and teachers who will be needed in the area. "What we will see is in fact wealthy ghettos" they said.

And of course, the major development in this regeneration plan is the new US embassy, that fucking carbuncle of a shiny box surrounded by a fucking moat where we'll probably get shot if we get too close to the fence :mad:

embassy-london-front.jpg

Its become a BID now too, complete with 'community wardens' to address anti social behaviour.

Bets on how long the wet house / big issue remains next to the new waitrose / premier inn?

- One of the things that caught my eye was a proposal for a new river crossing between Vauxhall/Nine Elms and Pimlico - which would be pedestrian and cycle only :)

They're having an open competition to decide the design. The entries are all anonymous, so no famous architects or engineers get special treatment. The final decision will be by a panel of judges, but they're after public feedback too. You can check out all 74 (!) entries here: http://www.nepbridgecompetition.co.uk/gallery.html

My favorites:

82530_orig.jpg

6607928_orig.jpg
8406725_orig.jpg

There are some real art-school designs in there too. Completely impractical :D

They're having an open competition to decide the design. The entries are all anonymous, so no famous architects or engineers get special treatment. The final decision will be by a panel of judges, but they're after public feedback too. You can check out all 74 (!) entries here: http://www.nepbridgecompetition.co.uk/gallery.html

My favorites:

View attachment 68089

View attachment 68090
View attachment 68091

The first two arent anything new compared to what crosses the river already, but that third one does look nice.

My favorites:

View attachment 68089

View attachment 68090
View attachment 68091

I like the ruler.
wild-designs-fierce-opposition-for-another-new-bridge-across-thames-nine-elms-pimlico

For christs sake, how many crossings does west London need? How about a pedestrian/bike crossing at Rotherhithe so that I don't have the choice of either taking months off my life by cycling through the road tunnel, or taking a 2 mile detour to the nearest crossing?

I know, I know, it's up to Southwark to sort this out, not Lambeth, but it still looks like a fuck you to east London, which could do with three or four pedestrian/bike crossings. That don't go to the almost uninhabited Greenwich peninsula.

I like the one made of millions of glowsticks best. I mean, fuck going on it, it doesn't look remotely safe. But it looks awesome.

It's not particularly West London is it? More central.

Not saying that East London river crossings aren't needed - just never heard vauxhall being described as "west London".

It's not particularly West London is it? More central.

Not saying that East London river crossings aren't needed - just never heard vauxhall being described as "west London".

I adhere to ye olde idea of West i.e. West of the dragons guarding the City of London, which latter is the true centre of everything, hence the 'West End' being in the inaccurately called 'centre' of London :mad:

Back
Top Bottom