Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vampires in literature, folklore, film etc

krtek a houby

Anger is Hi-NRG
Inspired by eh, discussion on the Anne Rice is dead thread, thought it would be agreeable to start a tasty one on the subject of the bloodsuckers/undead/leeches/legends etc.

Derry's infamous Abhartach might well have inspired Bram Stoker.

Abhartach The Irish Vampire - Irish Folklore & Ghost Stories From...

What legends/movies/tales/books etc have you developed a taste for? No expert, but am a sucker for many things vampire...

Speaking of which, I thoroughly enjoyed The Boys from County Hell

Bit uneven but - ahem - bloody good fun
I watched this the other night and enjoyed it.

Over the weekend I watched My Heart Can't Beat Unless You Tell It Too which was quite good. Its about a brother and sister who care for their younger brother, who appears to be a vampire, by preying on homeless people. It's more in the tradition of Romero's Martin, the vampire has no supernatural powers or fangs and may suffer from some sort of psychosis.

Last edited:

In China vampires are called Jiangshi and they are known as hopping vampires. They were popularised by the Mr. Vampire movies in the 80s and they were revived in a very stylish horror film called Rigor Mortis, featuring actors from the 80s movies. While the Mr Vampire films were martial arts horror comedies, Rigor Mortis is melancholy and atmospheric, closer the J-horror films from the turn of the millennium.

Back
Top Bottom