Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Using technology for the elderly to call for help

Just be aware, if you add the Echo device using your account, they can in theory call any of your contacts. Otherwise, you would need to set up an Amazon account for them, sign in with those details on the Alexa app, on a separate smart phone.

It was easier to add the Echo I put in my dad's house to my own account. He had dementia / brain injury and was very unlikely to call any of my contacts. Needed to drop in on him, especially during 2020 as he would usually not answer the landline and I was about 190 miles away.
She has a mobile phone and an Amazon account. She didn't use the phone much until a short stay in hospital gave her a crash course in how to use it. :D

She's very cautious doing online stuff, but she does a bit of banking and an occasional Amazon & Morrison's order.

As an aside, for anyone with family or friends who refuse to have an alarm, pill dispensers are available that text or email contacts when pills are dispensed. Provided much peace of mind when Stubborn Mother refused an alarm, at least we knew she was up and about

i'm fairly fortunate here - mum-tat joined the internet age in the late 90s (i think she had a home computer before i did, not sure which of us was on the interwebs first) and there's something on the internet that she visits and posts comments on a few times a day so that provides a welfare check...

Reactions: izz
i'm fairly fortunate here - mum-tat joined the internet age in the late 90s (i think she had a home computer before i did, not sure which of us was on the interwebs first) and there's something on the internet that she visits and posts comments on a few times a day so that provides a welfare check...
I can't even get my mum to have a mobile. Not even a dumb one. As for the internet that's one of those pointless modern inventions she will never have, along with the automatic washing machine and central heating.

Old people who refuse to even try get on my tits. I got my grandparents an Echo Show to help them with various stuff, and I showed them all the things you could do with it, including listening to the radio, calling people for free, asking questions etc etc.

They use it as a 'clock'

Old people who refuse to even try get on my tits. I got my grandparents an Echo Show to help them with various stuff, and I showed them all the things you could do with it, including listening to the radio, calling people for free, asking questions etc etc.

They use it as a 'clock'
I do have this rant every now and then. I mean it's not as if they are too busy to fit it in, is it?

I've given my Mum a Smart TV, she complains she missed the second part of Silent Witness and yet she won't push the BBC iplayer button.

In their defence, it's perhaps not as intuitive as we think it is.

She washes clothes by hand?
Some ancient twin tub contraption.

It's very frustrating not even being able to send her texts. I'd communicate with her so much more. Her landline doesn't even work properly half the time either. Anyway thankfully she is currently a very fit 80 something that still does 5 mile walks.

For some reason, the older you get, the less receptive you are to new technology. Is it because you are happy and satisfied with all you have already and really can't be bothered with the new stuff. There are many modern things I can't be arsed with like twitter, on line banking, phone banking tick tock etc. I don't need more stuff like that in my life

For some reason, the older you get, the less receptive you are to new technology. Is it because you are happy and satisfied with all you have already and really can't be bothered with the new stuff. There are many modern things I can't be arsed with like twitter, on line banking, phone banking tick tock etc. I don't need more stuff like that in my life

Brain plasticity.

Well it looks like the OH woman has persuaded my friend to go for the care alarm on the basis that she gets a few weeks free trial. :D

I still think she needs a stair lift, but apparently there is a year wait ( I wonder how many people die on this particular waiting list:() but they are going to install a 2nd bannister in the next couple of days.

Well it looks like the OH woman has persuaded my friend to go for the care alarm on the basis that she gets a few weeks free trial. :D

I still think she needs a stair lift, but apparently there is a year wait ( I wonder how many people die on this particular waiting list:() but they are going to install a 2nd bannister in the next couple of days.

If she’s got the legacy coming, would she even qualify for a disabled facilities grant? That would be the only reason to languish on a council waiting list.

When you’re paying for a stairlift privately the installers (as opposed to the council) can move very quickly, especially on a straight reconditioned setup. We had a few salespeople over and most of them tried to close on the basis of getting the lift installed within a couple of weeks.

If she’s got the legacy coming, would she even qualify for a disabled facilities grant? That would be the only reason to languish on a council waiting list.

When you’re paying for a stairlift privately the installers (as opposed to the council) can move very quickly, especially on a straight reconditioned setup. We had a few salespeople over and most of them tried to close on the basis of getting the lift installed within a couple of weeks.
Trust me , I tried. She said that she needs the exercise of the stairs and wouldn't use them if she had a stairlift. I pointed out that just because she has a lift, it doesn't mean she has to use it until she really needs it.

I've also suggested that it would be a good use of some of her sister's money but I can't really interfere more, I'm not family.

Back
Top Bottom