Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urgent help needed please - movie selection!

I'm having trouble with Sandman. I have taken three shots at it but have not managed to get through episode one yet. I feel like it should be right up my street. Gaiman, comic book adaptation, well received.
To be fair to the original work, it's been a long time since I read it, but I think I had exactly the same reaction.
I am either missing something that everyone else is seeing or everyone else is wrong (I've not even heard a 'meh' review, they have all been glowing).
I must force myself through it.

I was ambivalent until ep3. Now I love it.

indeed it is. i don't think it's available apart from DVD.
his nemesis Trentino went on to immortality as the swell in Asphalt Jungle, and Edgar Kennedy was the king of the double-take.
I find it absolutely fascinating. I am laughing mostly because it is so absurd. How could anyone else at the time have found this funny? It's not funny. All this money and time. Production value. Am I finding the fact it's not funny funny? Like someone doing a skit on what comedy used to be (wheres me washboard?).
But it IS funny. I'm still finding it funny. I played it (some of it) to my daughter a couple of years ago and she agreed that it wasn't funny, but was somehow fascinating (why would they make this? How was it popular?) . . but also actually genuinely entertaining and 'funny'. Does my nut.
Does sag a bit in the middle though. "Peanuts".

This is heartening.

Narratively, 1 and particularly 2 are wishy washy as fuck. Think of them as scene-setting. It gets going in 3 and thereafter improves even more.

Be warned though, there are some ... departures from the source material/s

This is heartening.
Well, surely anyone who watches television regularly will be aware that it would be completely foolish to judge a series by its first episode, certainly when the entire world and their dog is telling you it’s brilliant.

Fuck, I lose count of how many series I love had decisively underwhelming first episode. If I had not stuck with them based on the general consensus, I would have missed about three quarters of every series I’ve watched.

FWIW, the first episode is the weakest (even if still more than decent enough for me), but be assured it gets better with every passing episode, and the mid series episodes in particular are nothing less than excellent. Most noticeably the two with David Thewlis.

I judged it terrible enough after the second episode not to bother, and will happily stick with that. Who gives a fuck what the world and the world's dog think - the world and their dog vote tory and listen to coldplay.

I judged it terrible enough after the second episode not to bother, and will happily stick with that. Who gives a fuck what the world and the world's dog think - the world and their dog vote tory and listen to coldplay.
I’d never criticise other people’s taste in films and TV because ultimately there is no right or wrong, but there’s merit in advising someone who is skeptical about a multi-episode series that they might well change their mind later on.

Every episode is different anyway, and the David Thewlis episodes in particular (4 & 5) are de facto standalone stories that work extremely well on their own even if you hadn’t paid attention to the overall premise. They feel like a play, really, and imo are bloody fantastic.

I’d never criticise other people’s taste in films and TV because ultimately there is no right or wrong, but there’s merit in advising someone who is skeptical about a multi-episode series that they might well change their mind later on.

Every episode is different anyway, and the David Thewlis episodes in particular (4 & 5) are de facto standalone stories that work extremely well on their own even if you hadn’t paid attention to the overall premise. They feel like a play, really, and imo are bloody fantastic.

See also The Queen episode of Castle Rock and Master of None S2 Ep6 New York, I Love You, TV so, so good that they made me glad I'd been there to see them.

A good point. I can't believe the gushing of love the shite three part documentary on Woodstock 99 got. Great story, piss poor to the point of irritating doc. Anyone could have made something half decent with that footage and that story. . . but we got some low rent MTV level trash. . . . but like you say. People loved it, and people vote tory and listen to coldplay, they can't be trusted.

RE Sandman, I think I am going to have to wait until I have some serious time on my hands. It's not something I can watch with the family, it's not washing up fodder and it's not something I can be arsed to sit down and watch on my own at the moment.

We watched The Sixth Sense on (I think) Netflix last night. Made me realise they don’t make movies like this any more - slow moving but holds your interest. Suspenseful without needing to be full of action. Maybe the place to look for good movies is the 90s category on your favourite local streaming service?

Back
Top Bottom