Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ultra long movies

TopCat

Putin fanboy
I have been invited to go movies but…

The new Scorcesie Movie, three and a half hours so I am told.

It’s a bit long. I did all nighters at the Ritzy in the 8o’s but it was the eighties.

Anyone seen it? Any good?

Depends on your tastes I suppose. I didn't think I was going to like it for about the first 30 minutes, but then understood it was about racism, sexism, greed, white supremacy and legal injustice.

I baulked at Toni Erdmann's two and three-quarters hours before it started, but I wasn't bored for a second. Even weirder when the premise is basically 'an eccentric bloke is estranged from his grown-up daughter'.

I have been invited to go movies but…

The new Scorcesie Movie, three and a half hours so I am told.

It’s a bit long. I did all nighters at the Ritzy in the 8o’s but it was the eighties.

Anyone seen it? Any good?
Posted on the 'underwhelming' film thread (it wasn't).

I agree re: long films. Though I loved The Irishman first time round; less so on repeated viewings.

Kermode talks about this on his Killers of the Flower Moon review. Basically there's a cinematic length and a 4 part series length; films are getting caught between the 2 - basically what's your story and how long do you need to tell it?

Fwiw, I saw Killers of the Flower Moon on Saturday and loved that too, though I love Scorsese/De Niro/DiCaprio so was always going to be biased. I didn't mind the running time but others in our party had to make a run for it at the 2.5 hour mark.

Kermode saying what Sue said from 7:12 onwards:

I baulked at Toni Erdmann's two and three-quarters hours before it started, but I wasn't bored for a second. Even weirder when the premise is basically 'an eccentric bloke is estranged from his grown-up daughter'.
I watched this a week or so ago. You're right, it's very entertaining, without a lot happening. Really enjoyed it :)

Off to see KotFM later today. The book is amazing, love Scorsese films, love lengthy films.

Longest film watched to date was the weird Love Exposure (4 hours).

I watched the director's cut of Das Boot, which wiki tells me is 208 minutes.

It felt long, but I think it was really good. Can't remember much about it now, except it was claustrophobic and there were no women.

Off to see KotFM later today. The book is amazing, love Scorsese films, love lengthy films.

Longest film watched to date was the weird Love Exposure (4 hours).

Actually, I tell a lie. Watched the 1963 Cleopatra a few months ago, clocking in at around 4 hours 20 minutes.

I watched the director's cut of Das Boot, which wiki tells me is 208 minutes.

It felt long, but I think it was really good. Can't remember much about it now, except it was claustrophobic and there were no women.
I thought it was pretty good, at least up until the point they showed the shark

Haven't seen his latest one, but looking at his filmography, he hasn't made a good film since the 90s. And quite a few in the 2000s I've really, really hated. Dunno, maybe he needs to hang up his camera. 🤷‍♀️

Haven't seen his latest one, but looking at his filmography, he hasn't made a good film since the 90s. And quite a few in the 2000s I've really, really hated. Dunno, maybe he needs to hang up his camera. 🤷‍♀️

For me, Goodfellas was his peak.

That said, he's made plenty of good films since. Just not at that level.

Back
Top Bottom