Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Movies set at Christmas that aren’t necessarily ‘Christmas movies’

There never is anything chritmassy about Christmas in Australia. I spent one Christmas in Sydney and got invited to a barbecue. The Christmas tree next to their swimming pool looked so out of place.
I have relatives in Australia. They emigrated in the 80s. They’d send Christmas cards that were a weird mixture of summer and winter scenes. They also said that people would spray fake snow around their windows but then hold barbecues. It’s like Australia isn’t sure if it’s a European country or not. I think that’s probably quite a telling confusion.

I have relatives in Australia. They emigrated in the 80s. They’d send Christmas cards that were a weird mixture of summer and winter scenes. They also said that people would spray fake snow around their windows but then hold barbecues. It’s like Australia isn’t sure if it’s a European country or not. I think that’s probably quite a telling confusion.
I lived there for a year and found it culturally weird. It’s a mostly Anglo-Saxon culture, whatever was big in the UK makes it there a couple of years later and yet they do nothing but bitch about the ”poms“.

Just realised that part of About a Boy takes place at Christmas, and the theme pretty much fits Christmas movies, but it's never considered a Christmas movie. Probably because it's a more realistic London Christmas in a small flat and with no snow.

Has anyone seen Tangerine, Sean Baker’s debut? Is that Christmassy?
I'd say it's a backdrop to the film and probably complements some of its themes but it is not Christmassy in a Great Movies: Christmas! way. Definitely worth seeing it is excellent - though it is not his debut he directed a number of films before Tangerine, including the also excellent Starlet

A cinema I'm a member of is showing Wake in Fright to 'get you in the mood for the Christmas period'. Guess they're not going for jolly and feelgood.

Back
Top Bottom