Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK to Finland this spring?

scalyboy

They’re taking the piss now
Hello, bit of a long shot but was wondering if anyone had any advice if I wanted to go to Helsinki from London before May 17th... I’m quite bamboozled by the seemingly-conflicting advice and info on official sites.

There seem to be direct flights, but if Brits are being told not to go abroad, are people quizzed at Gatwick/Heathrow as to why they’re going? I would be travelling for work purposes in part, but also to see a friend.

The Finnish authorities seem to be saying they will only permit Brits to enter for exceptional circumstances, humanitarian / emergencies, not just work - but also say it’s up to individuals to comply... as if they will take your word for it?

My friend has suggested taking the Eurostar to Brussels or Amsterdam and then a plane (in fact that’s how she got back when she was staying here). But would that make any difference if arriving passengers are quizzed at customs / passport control at Helsinki airport? It’s still a British passport.

I wouldn’t attempt this unless I had the PCR ‘fit to fly’ Covid test just prior to departing, and would be happy to isolate and/or have another test in Finland upon arrival. I’ve also been lucky enough to have had the vaccination so that might help.

Thanks for any advice!
I’m quite baffled - I regularly pass through St Pancras station near the Eurostar, trains are running - but are they letting Brits on board as long as they have had the PCR test 72 hours or less? Or do they quiz people about their reasons for travelling?

Hello, bit of a long shot but was wondering if anyone had any advice if I wanted to go to Helsinki from London before May 17th... I’m quite bamboozled by the seemingly-conflicting advice and info on official sites.

There seem to be direct flights, but if Brits are being told not to go abroad, are people quizzed at Gatwick/Heathrow as to why they’re going? I would be travelling for work purposes in part, but also to see a friend.

The Finnish authorities seem to be saying they will only permit Brits to enter for exceptional circumstances, humanitarian / emergencies, not just work - but also say it’s up to individuals to comply... as if they will take your word for it?

My friend has suggested taking the Eurostar to Brussels or Amsterdam and then a plane (in fact that’s how she got back when she was staying here). But would that make any difference if arriving passengers are quizzed at customs / passport control at Helsinki airport? It’s still a British passport.

I wouldn’t attempt this unless I had the PCR ‘fit to fly’ Covid test just prior to departing, and would be happy to isolate and/or have another test in Finland upon arrival. I’ve also been lucky enough to have had the vaccination so that might help.

Thanks for any advice!
I’m quite baffled - I regularly pass through St Pancras station near the Eurostar, trains are running - but are they letting Brits on board as long as they have had the PCR test 72 hours or less? Or do they quiz people about their reasons for travelling?
why don't you get your friend to visit you?

The situation with travel is a bit confusing in that its supposed to be illegal in but a few circumstances but there are still lots of flights and trains going. Anyway...

Coming straight from the UK I very doubt you'd get into the country unless you had prior permission. If you do you'd need to self-isolate for 14 days before you could see your friend. There may be a chance that this isn't checked up on but there is also a good chance it will (a Brit would likely attract more attention than most at the moment).

Trying an around about route would likely raise more suspicion. Though all this depends on how much the guards check but given their borders are actually closed at the moment you would assume they are going to check everyone. You'd also need clean tests to return to the UK.

Honestly it sounds like a massive ballache with lots of potential to get into a fair amount of expensive trouble. All this is of course before you consider whether its the right thing to be doing at the moment which it clearly isn't and for good reasons.

Patience. Just give it a couple of months.

why don't you get your friend to visit you?
Yes, that would be the better option, but she's been here two or three times already, so it feels like my turn - especially since she'd be taking the risk travelling from a low infection country to a high one. But yeah it's best just to wait and see until May / June I guess

Last edited:
Tell you what....why not do the responsible thing and just not go.

Do you mean responsible towards myself or towards others? If the former, I've been super-cautious, wear a mask outdoors as well as in, always carry hand sanitiser etc. I've had the vaccine so I would feel safer in that sense. I've been participating in a national survey where they regularly test you, and each time I've been negative - so I've either been doing something right or have been lucky so far.

However if (as I expect you meant) you mean responsiblity towards others, well I certainly wouldn't travel unless I'd got a negative PCR test (and anyway you can't get on a plane without one is my understanding).
But I suppose there is the risk of becoming infected in the 72 or less hours between the test and arriving in Finland - and therefore the risk of infecting people during the journey. Even if I immediately isolated there.

So yes, it wouldn't be responsible, especially given that Finland has such a low infection rate...
So I guess I'll just wait.

Thanks for your response :) You've helped clarify my thoughts on the matter.

The situation with travel is a bit confusing in that its supposed to be illegal in but a few circumstances but there are still lots of flights and trains going. Anyway...

Coming straight from the UK I very doubt you'd get into the country unless you had prior permission. If you do you'd need to self-isolate for 14 days before you could see your friend. There may be a chance that this isn't checked up on but there is also a good chance it will (a Brit would likely attract more attention than most at the moment).

Trying an around about route would likely raise more suspicion. Though all this depends on how much the guards check but given their borders are actually closed at the moment you would assume they are going to check everyone. You'd also need clean tests to return to the UK.

Honestly it sounds like a massive ballache with lots of potential to get into a fair amount of expensive trouble. All this is of course before you consider whether its the right thing to be doing at the moment which it clearly isn't and for good reasons.

Patience. Just give it a couple of months.
Thanks. I've just been looking at the Finnish border police website, and there does seem to be one legitimate category by which I could enter, but it's ambiguous. I might give their embassy a bell to clarify, but all in all I reckon you're right and patience is the key.

Trying an around about route would likely raise more suspicion. Though all this depends on how much the guards check but given their borders are actually closed at the moment you would assume they are going to check everyone.
I think she'd suggested I try this train + place route, because it worked for her earlier this year.
But the difference is, she's a Finnish national so has a right to return.

Do you mean responsible towards myself or towards others? If the former, I've been super-cautious, wear a mask outdoors as well as in, always carry hand sanitiser etc. I've had the vaccine so I would feel safer in that sense. I've been participating in a national survey where they regularly test you, and each time I've been negative - so I've either been doing something right or have been lucky so far.

However if (as I expect you meant) you mean responsiblity towards others, well I certainly wouldn't travel unless I'd got a negative PCR test (and anyway you can't get on a plane without one is my understanding).
But I suppose there is the risk of becoming infected in the 72 or less hours between the test and arriving in Finland - and therefore the risk of infecting people during the journey. Even if I immediately isolated there.

So yes, it wouldn't be responsible, especially given that Finland has such a low infection rate...
So I guess I'll just wait.

Thanks for your response :) You've helped clarify my thoughts on the matter.
I do mean responsible towards others. I didn't mean to sound arsey but I'm just very tired of people trying to think of ways around The Rules when travelling around, potentially spreading disease, is wrong and we all know it. I think you know it too.

I mean it's up to you at the end if the day but I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:
The route you take is irrelevant, what matters is if it is safe to go and currently it is not and that is reflected in Finland not accepting people from the UK and the UK making it very expensive to return. This may well change if the risks subside, but until they do just put the idea on hold.

Thanks to everyone who replied. You've assisted me in deciding not to attempt what could be a harmful trip, for selfish reasons. I was in a sense thinking out loud, but the responses here have focussed my mind on what would essentially be an irresponsible act. So... patience is the key. And Skype.

I rarely post on Urban these days, but it's good to see the place hasn't lost its reputation for robust and common sense advice! Cheers all

Back
Top Bottom