Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UC income question

Suspect I know the answer to this but can't find anything online.

I'm 'self employed' rather than self employed so I'm technically a sole trader but really I have a boss. I only get paid when clients pay me, which I then have to split with the sort of agency I work for, in return they cover insurances and things like that.

Anyway I'm due my first UC payment soon-ish, and at moment have a grand total of about £200 income to declare so would still get some UC.

The agency I work for has (surprisingly because I didn't ask and they mostly seem like cunts) offered to loan me 1k a month for the next few months, but it is a loan which I will have to pay back at some point.

I suspect from UC point of view this will be self employed income so declarable and wipes out any UC, but a part of me was hopeful that, as it is actually a loan, maybe they would ignore it. Anybody know? Can't find any clear guidance. It will be paid to me by bank transfer from the agency so will look just like normal income on bank account (as all payments are made to agency who then take cut and pay rest to me anyway)

Turns out that yes it is treated as income and if I want to moan that its a loan then I should just declare the loan repayments to HMRC at my self assessment in about two years time to get tax relief on some of my income.

So will wipe out our joint UC entirely, but as I'm s/e I can count expenses against it, including rolling over expenses from this month. Did some basic calculations and reckon we'll get about £80 tops for next UC payment. Now ok I've got a payment holiday on the mortgage but fucks sake.

Back
Top Bottom