Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New claim for UC

Just got a reply from DWP about my PIP claim and have an appointment,So keeping my fingers crossed for that.
My experience with PIP has always been that claims usually get knocked back first attempt even with the most serious conditions. It used to be that very high numbers of claims awarded on appeal.

The other thing is with some conditions it's best if you have someone experienced at applying to help you complete the form who also accompanies you to the meeting to speak for you because they know how to word things so you get the payment.

Hope you get paid out.

Last edited:
My Spanish friends at work are having a baby. First child. Both working full time currently. The mother to be hasnt been there long enough to get any money from the company. Her partner has been there longer and probs earns a bit more.

As it stands when she has the baby she will get the minimum statuatory £150 a week but from the government rather than the employer.

What should she do about a universal credit claim? They dont have any savings really. The partner earns about 25-26k so that would be the household income once she stops working. She's worried about money and having to return to work but I told her it might be advantageous to take the first year off and claim benefits.

What's the procedure with this in this situation? Where youre pregnant and employed but soon to be on maternity leave and after that on the extended 1 year scheme. Should she register a claim before the baby is born...? She didnt know about child benefit until today so this is all new...

My Spanish friends at work are having a baby. First child. Both working full time currently. The mother to be hasnt been there long enough to get any money from the company. Her partner has been there longer and probs earns a bit more.

As it stands when she has the baby she will get the minimum statuatory £150 a week but from the government rather than the employer.

What should she do about a universal credit claim? They dont have any savings really. The partner earns about 25-26k so that would be the household income once she stops working. She's worried about money and having to return to work but I told her it might be advantageous to take the first year off and claim benefits.

What's the procedure with this in this situation? Where youre pregnant and employed but soon to be on maternity leave and after that on the extended 1 year scheme. Should she register a claim before the baby is born...? She didnt know about child benefit until today so this is all new...

I'm too out of touch with it all to suggest answers, but general principle is if in doubt, put a claim in - the worst they can do is say no. then claim again after baby makes an appearance. (or if you're on benefits before, then baby's arrival would be a change of circumstances.)

turn2us have a benefits calculator along with a fair bit of information - it's anonymous and not linked to DWP or councils, but you need to put real info about income / rent and so on to get a sensible answer - although you can use it for a 'what if', e.g. putting in the wages for a job you're thinking of applying for.

This (from Citizens Advice) has more on claiming benefits in the UK if you're from the EU

This is CAB on maternity leave and maternity pay

FIinnally started to get the ESA component of UC after trying to survive on £60 a week since December ,the difference is huge,i can afford shoes and keep warm etc,they sorted my UC but said i owed all the income support ,42 quid a week,id been surviving on,bastards just took £50 out my second payment,took me way below '' the amount the government says you need to live'' and half a day to get through to someone who knew nothing,oviously working from home an clueless,anyway,hope everyone is ok@X

Back
Top Bottom