Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Two days one night in Glasgow

Me76

Not very good lurker
I'm going to Glasgow for a brief city break at the beginning of July, any recommendations?

Particularly interested in good restaurants and cocktails bars. Also anything a bit different to see / experience.

It’s one of the world’s great cities.

I’m afraid I can’t help with cocktail bars: that’s so not my thing. But there are a great many restaurants. What do you like?

Vietnamese: the Hanoi Bike Shop Hanoi Bike Shop

Indian: Ashoka Ashton Lane Ashoka Ashton Lane – The Official Ashoka Restaurants Website

Mother India’s Cafe Mother India's Cafe - Mother India

Scottish cafe culture:
Gandalfi

I mean, there’s so many. I don’t know whether to just keep going!

A bit different to see?

Hmm. Garnethill Synagogue? Home - Scottish Jewish Heritage Centre

Monorail records? Info | Monorail Music

The Necropolis?

More suggestions:

The Govan Stones

Pink Peacock

Sharmanka Kinetic Theatre

Otago Lane has the Czech Tearoom, Voltaire and Rousseau the most dishevelled bookshop in existence, and Mixed Up Records.

Round the corner from there is Eusebi’s Deli

The Ottoman Coffee House is a great place to hang out. Busy at weekends, though.

Pubs are more my thing than cocktail bars.

The Scotia, Cluatha, Dukes, The Doublet, The Horshoe.

Less old-school is my elder daughter’s favourite, Chinaski’s. Cool, literary and with a hidden beer garden in a quiet courtyard that belies its city centre location.

I really like Glasgow, could happily live there. I did the usual touristy stuff last time I went. Kelvin Grove, Barras market, People's Museum. I mean as well as a fair bit of wandering round, few pubs and restaurants. A good fish place that I've unfortunately forgotten the name of.

Weekends, the Barras market. Go early.

Nearby you’ll find Calton Books and Glasgow Green: Calton Books - The Best Wee Radical Bookshop in the World

Sadly the People’s Palace has been underfunded and allowed to go to waste by the SNP-led council, who don’t care about working class culture in Glasgow.

Celebrity Spotting.

My daughters are always seeing either Kevin Bridges or Lewis Capaldi at weekends. If you want to bump into one of them go to Ziques (for small plates of posh food) HOME | Zique's or one of the bars or restaurants in Hyndland or Partick. (Lewis also likes Mother India Restaurant. I recommended their cafe, which is near it).

If Celtic are playing, Rod Stewart (a creature of habit apparently) usually eats in Rogano Rogano Glasgow and drinks at the Thornwood The Thornwood Bar | pub | 724 Dumbarton Road, Glasgow, UK

One of my favourite parks (there are many in Glasgow) is Linn Park. On its edge is the Snuff Mill Bridge and nearby is Holmwood House, designed by famous Glasgow architect “Greek” Thomson.

Of course you’ll already know Pollok Park, where the Burrell Collection is located.

I used to see Nicola Sturgeon on Byres road about once a week, and Carole Smiley in that cafe with the massive bay window on Nithsdale Road in Pollock shields... #who? #OldFart

If you end up on on the South Side - Shawlands/Battlefield/Langside - then Cafe Salmagundi in Mount Florida is a fantastic vege place. Amazing food.

Screenshot_20230529-121947~2.pngScreenshot_20230529-122049~2.png

Oh, I bet the cocktail bars are all in Finnieston! From Kelvingrove, walk along Argyll Street onto St Vincent Street and you pass all the hipster bars and restaurants. Six by Nico (expensive tasting menu of six courses); Crabshakk (seafood); too many to mention really. The Hidden Lane is along there, if you’re there during the day. (It’s there at night too, but the shops and cafes are closed).

There are a few famous gig venues, but obv depends if there's anything on to your taste.

If you like Italian food, Sarti is pretty good (or was when I last ate in it years ago). They have a couple of restaurants. If you go to the one on Bath Street, Bar Bloc next door is a cool pub. Obviously loads of great places to drink in Glasgow, but I don't know much about cocktail bars.

I'll second Mother India's Cafe too.

You could nip into Platform to see what used to be The Arches. :(

La Lanterna on Hope Street is very good.
Mono on King Street for vegan and veggie food.
University Cafe on Byres Road great for a chippy team and ice cream. Try the Bourdain special. So called after Anthony Bourdain visited and ate there.
Merchant Chippie on Ingram St, near the junction with High Street. If ye fancy a really good chippy tea. .
Another shout for Mother India, cracking food.

Pubs/bars

8f ye want gin. Afton Bar and grill at the entrance to Central Station (on Gordon Street). Gins by the dozen and gin cocktails to go with them.
McChuills on High Street, Celtic minded but good music.
If yer into yer whiskies.
Pot Still on Hope Street, a gantry full to the brim with really good and some notably expensiive tastes whiskies.

To name a few.

Last edited:
I used to see Nicola Sturgeon on Byres road about once a week, and Carole Smiley in that cafe with the massive bay window on Nithsdale Road in Pollock shields... #who? #OldFart

If you end up on on the South Side - Shawlands/Battlefield/Langside - then Cafe Salmagundi in Mount Florida is a fantastic vege place. Amazing food.

View attachment 376785View attachment 376786
Smiley and her husband used to run The Granary in Shawlands, so her floating about that bit of the Southside would be normal everyday.

For Cocktails try The Citizen on St Vincent St or the bar on the corner of the polo lounge.

if you're in the centre and looking for veggie/vegan food try Geek Retreat in Union St, not a massive range but better than a lot of places

just seen that the pink peacock sadly closed down last year danny la rouge . i'll be visiting glasgow for the first time next month for a day or so and would have been nice to be able to visit an alternative/queer/anarchist sort of space

just seen that the pink peacock sadly closed down last year danny la rouge . i'll be visiting glasgow for the first time next month for a day or so and would have been nice to be able to visit an alternative/queer/anarchist sort of space
Near where PP was is Category Is Books. That would probably be your first port of call. Category Is Books

Sadly Bonjour has also closed down. That was great but is no more.

There’s Delmonica’s, which my kids go to. But that’s not somewhere I can give you a recent recommendation on.

Red Rosa’s next to Calton Books often has events on, but it’s more of a place that groups book for events. Similarly the CCA on Sauchiehall Street. Mono is great, near the Saltmarket. A vegan bar, cafe, record shop.

Probably the Southside will have more of what you’re looking for, but I’m old and infirm and not really up on venues these days. So the area around Category is Books. The alternative beating heartland of the revolution.

Back
Top Bottom