Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TV's, streaming, OLED 4 K etc.. what?

kebabking

Not a Girly Swot, but I like them....
Help.

We're from the country, we're luddites.

We need to buy a TV for the first time in 12 years, and we are simply bemused by all this stuff. We'd like to get stuff like Netflix and Disney something, as well as the normal catch-up services, and be able to watch YouTube and use things like Teams from our laptops.

We've got no idea what OLED or any of the other screen types are and what their comparative benefits are.

We're not sports fans or cinema nerds, and we don't do gaming. It's for watching TV, films and some other stuff.

We might be willing to spend upto about a grand on it, but more than specific recommendations for individual TV's I'd be really grateful if someone could walk me through the different technologies, systems and packages.

As ever, grateful for your help.

You'll get every crank TV expert on here completely confusing you with jargon, bit like anything to do with audio. My basic rule with TVs £800-£1000 is to get a Samsung or a Sony. Don't worry about any Smart features, don't worry about 4k, look for reviews that say the blacks are good, no motion blurring, the sound is good ( unless you want to buy a soundbar). Richer Sounds do up to six year warranty. Whatever you'll buy you'll notice the difference.

A current standard Samsung from Argos will do everything you want listed there. Pick your desired screen size. No need to spend anywhere near a grand. I can only speak from experience but the sammy will have all the apps you want built in and can do pc mirror cast thing easily enough too.

just make sure your wireless is good or it’s close enough to the router, cable it up. Much more reliable.

Although saying a standard one will do the pc mirror cast thing might not be standard. I’m just assuming it is as mine does it but I did go out my way to research my set. The OH who recently got a 32” sammy certainty had all the apps and can at least do apple airplay, so I would assume it can do the pc share thing. If you wait until tomorrow some time I can double check, but I’m sure product description of whatever one you look at will probably detail if it does it or not.

I have a Samsung 4K Smart TV and I think it'll do most of what you need ( I don't know about using Teams via a laptop though).

I've had it for about five years now. I I think it's got all the apps - I use iPlayer, 4OD, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube on it. Occasionally use UKTV and My5. They all seem to work with no problems. The in-built browser's a bit shit but isn't a problem for me. The sound isn't wonderful but I don't think any modern TV has decent speakers built into them. I bought a cheapish sound bar for mine which made a big difference.

ETA: Just had a quick look at some of the apps on it. There's Disney+ and Now TV but it doesn't have Apple TV. I've got a Fire TV stick plugged into mine so I can get Apple TV from that.

Last edited:
Don’t buy anything other than a Samsung or Sony. I prefer Samsung. Make sure it’s ‘smart’ -it will be - that will have all the apps you will want.

Spend about £800 to £1000 depending on how big you want. Probably get one a bit bigger than you think you need. Easy.

Once you have it a week or so, if you don’t like the sound then buy a sound bar and woofer for about £200.

Last edited:
Agree on the Samsung or Sony advice.

John Lewis are a little more expensive than some places but offer excellent service and warranty.

I got a 50" Samsung 4K HD four years ago and it serving me very well.

Something like this :cool:

Agree on the Samsung or Sony advice.

John Lewis are a little more expensive than some places but offer excellent service and warranty.

I got a 50" Samsung 4K HD four years ago and it serving me very well.

Something like this :cool:

I think they do price match.

I bought mine from John Lewis. The service was excellent. They delivered it and took my old massive CRT away for me (Phillips Ice Blue, if anyone remembers them?)

Bump.

My 50" UHD 4K, etc has lost the picture. 2 years old, just out of warranty and the shop from which we bought it is 12 hours drive away.

I'm going to use the spare 32" HD but will need a new bigger one.

Recommendations please.

Bump.

My 50" UHD 4K, etc has lost the picture. 2 years old, just out of warranty and the shop from which we bought it is 12 hours drive away.

I'm going to use the spare 32" HD but will need a new bigger one.

Recommendations please.
What price range?

See my earlier comments bar the ref to Richer Sounds

You'll get every crank TV expert on here completely confusing you with jargon, bit like anything to do with audio. My basic rule with TVs £800-£1000 is to get a Samsung or a Sony. Don't worry about any Smart features, don't worry about 4k, look for reviews that say the blacks are good, no motion blurring, the sound is good ( unless you want to buy a soundbar). Richer Sounds do up to six year warranty. Whatever you'll buy you'll notice the difference.

Ignore the Smart system as all you will need is Spanish TV on it and Netflix/Amazon Prime is you have a subscription. If you have a Firestick both the latter two are on it and you just slot that in the back. If you have an IPTV service for UK TV that will work through the Firestick.

If you are used to a 50" and your gaff is the right size for one get a 50".

Bargain range -Hisense, 50/55". Got on 42" in the bedroom and its very good value. Any Samsung or Sony 50/55 is top notch . LG have some good recent models. As you are in Spain the serial numbers for the models will often be different from reviews in the UK or USA .

To be honest, most of those brands do good TVs , there isn't that much difference between brands unless you are really into TVs . Go for a 2019/2020 version 50/55" 600-750 euros max.

Bump.

no its not, you got it at the start of lockdown, time to take it on a roadtrip. just think of the adventures you'll have together.

no its not, you got it at the start of lockdown, time to take it on a roadtrip. just think of the adventures you'll have together.
Only problem is it doesn’t really fit in the car, I had to have the seat quite forward, making it uncomfortable. I don’t think it’s worth the effort and hotel costs to return it.

I’ve got a JVC sound bar and sub. I wonder if it would be worth looking at an integrated tv. Do JVC do TVs?

Can't believe people are recommending Samsung with their well documented history of bad capacitors. I'd rather have an LG, but Sony would be my choice.

Back
Top Bottom