Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TuneIn forced to block UK listeners

mojo pixy

שיר חדש
OK this has only just come up in my world as I try to listen to something online and discover I can't. Browsers and apps are suddenly blocking radio stations from outside the UK and apparently it's the fault of Sony and Warners. I looked it up and found this... (it's not actually new, but seems as if it's just taken effect, at least on Radio Garden which I've been using for years)
International radio stations now restricted on TuneIn

Obviously this is totally fucked .. almost a relief this week to have some bad news that isn’t the fault of the British government .. but still, this is just another slap in the face from capital, for basically everyone. I wanted to flag it up because I for one had not seen it coming.

Miserable as shit.

OK this has only just come up in my world as I try to listen to something online and discover I can't. Browsers and apps are suddenly blocking radio stations from outside the UK and apparently it's the fault of Sony and Warners. I looked it up and found this... (it's not actually new, but seems as if it's just taken effect, at least on Radio Garden which I've been using for years)
International radio stations now restricted on TuneIn

Obviously this is totally fucked .. almost a relief this week to have some bad news that isn’t the fault of the British government .. but still, this is just another slap in the face from capital, for basically everyone. I wanted to flag it up because I for one had not seen it coming.

Miserable as shit.
Agree that is shit. I knew about TuneIn but them coming after radio garden is horrible. It is not as if I am now going to buy a raft of Warner CDs. And in any case already pay for Spotify so all these tunes are already paid for.. Presumably if they had their way all AM and SW radio from abroad would be jammed as well.

ETA Audials app relies on a self declaration as to location.

Last edited:
That same action by Sony and Warners also meant a lot of UK pirate stations (and more than a few licensed ones) were also removed recently too...
TuneIn starts to remove UK radio stations from its platform

Now whilst some might indeed argue that if you cannot prove PPL/PRS then thats right, bear in mind most pirates that are reggae or house play tunes that are/were not licensed to the corporates such as Sony/Warner in the first place*, and overwhelmingly promote them with the artist or small record labels informal (often direct) blessing - this is how currency has always worked between artists/labels and UK pirates in those scenes.

Those licensed stations that do have PPL/PRS have also found it difficult to get back streaming on TuneIn too, Rinse being an example.

Sony/Warner have form with youtube and other sites over the years. Its important that artists get paid of course, but I doubt thats really been at the heart of the aggressive pursuance by them. Legal people in suits acting on behalf of corporates, far from getting artists paid, just seems to fuck the music industry and music outlets even more, whether it be soundcloud, mixcloud, etc. And music/radio lovers ultimately lose out. TuneIn latest in the firing line.

I'm using Online Radio Box now whilst it lasts.

* not helped either by them constantly squeezing the industry by buying up copyrights.

Last edited:
Bollocks. That explains why tons of stations I used to listen to through the Audiopro app don’t work now. Wankers.

Last edited:
Been a while since I was listening to any international stations, but aye, this sucks big time :(

Fucking out for themselves, cultural vampire wankers :mad: :(

Ah I wondered why the choice had dropped down when I tried it for first time in forever couple of weeks ago.

It's not just dropped down, it's all dead apart from UK stations - though Manx and Channel Islands are disabled too.

Maybe, I haven't tried that yet. I normally use my phone for radio though not my PC, so setting up a VPN there is an unknown quantity for me and I may end up not bothering.

Overseas stations can still be listened to directly if they have their own feed somewhere (so far I'm finding that) but having thousands easily accessible in one place was perfectly fine, thanks.

So now Radio Garden is just a search engine, for names of stations to then search and listen another way - as long as that may last. Profits over people, again. No QOL unless someone's making money. Get used to it, I guess.

Really shocked to hear about the loss of access to radio stations outside the UK on Radio Garden and Tunein. Will have to give Streema a go. But it doesn't have the Map interface as far as I can see which was one of the things about Radio Garden I really loved.

It feels like for one reason or another this country is becoming increasingly cut off.

Back
Top Bottom