Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tulse Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

As a local at the Horns it is true.

I would probably have put this in West Norwood rather than Tulse Hill as it's right opposite the station but anyway.

Apparently the brewery offered her a very shit deal, and the main boss man couldn't even be bothered to turn up.

Locals offered to try and campaign/ write a strongly worded letter, but Alison asked us not to.

It's very sad and last day will be NYE, which will be ticketed for locals as normal.

Suspicion is they will refurb to make it yet another middle class, soulless place.
NYE seems like many months away.

At Croydon Magistrates' Court on 30 May 2024, local man Darren Massay pleaded guilty to three counts of being the owner of a dangerous dog, and he has been given unconditional bail and until he is sentenced at Inner London Crown Court on a date to be fixed.

In 2019, almost exactly four years before this potentially lethal attack, the same Darren Massay was sentenced to three years and seven months' imprisonment for his role in a group of 11 people from South London and Gillingham involved in supplying heroin and crack cocaine in the Medway towns.

84625131-13396723-image-a-6_1715194200818.jpg

Having previously pleaded guilty to three offences of being in control of a dog dangerously out of control and causing injury, Darren Massay of Tulse Hill has been sentenced to 14 months' imprisonment, suspended for 18 months. Massay must also pay the victim, Lakaydia Reynolds, £2,500 in compensation and is disqualified from owning dogs for a period of 10 years.

It just like a very odd quote to make. How can they be sure they are going to last that long?
Im a bit confused. Alison has been given notice and her last night will be NYE. After that, who knows how long it will last after whatever changes they make.

Gutted about the Horns. Very unique boozer of two separate halves where the only way to get from one to the other is through the men's bogs.

The Horns is on John Rocque's 1745 map so getting on for 300 years.
In case anyone else has the same trouble as me "image was hotlinked!"
Lambeth13176.jpg

On a diversionary note, look at what Lambeth Planning did to the somewhat more famous "Horns Tavern" at Kennington
The was a multi-faceted meeting place. A bunch of wealthy Unitarians met there in the late 1830s to plan the opening of a Unitarian church on Effra Road.
More famously the old bill used it as a look-out to monitor the Chartist assembly on Kennington Common in 1848. The Horns Tavern – Kennington Chartist Project
Lambeth08526.jpg
Lambeth08521-1024x814.jpg

In case anyone else has the same trouble as me "image was hotlinked!"
View attachment 435684

On a diversionary note, look at what Lambeth Planning did to the somewhat more famous "Horns Tavern" at Kennington
The was a multi-faceted meeting place. A bunch of wealthy Unitarians met there in the late 1830s to plan the opening of a Unitarian church on Effra Road.
More famously the old bill used it as a look-out to monitor the Chartist assembly on Kennington Common in 1848. The Horns Tavern – Kennington Chartist Project
View attachment 435686
View attachment 435685
What was the knights hill pound? Prison?

A pound is usually a term for an animal lock up facility, where the Authorities would uh jail wayward or wandering animals pending their owners paying a fee to recover.
With a London population of approximately 650 000 I wonder how many pets would have been handed in.

I would imagine pounds were super common all over London at that time. Lots more live stock in urban areas as well.

Anyway now Lambeth Council has 1 Animal Welfare officer for the whole borough.

We used to call them pounds in the country, although that wasn't the official term.

A lamppost banner has been hung (there might be more around, I don’t know) inviting punters to head to ‘SE27’ to enjoy its bars and restaurants.

I doubt that many people know where exactly SE27 starts ( it seems to be just past the railway bridge, so screw all the pubs and restaurants this side of it, I guess :D). Shame the arrow is directing people towards Herne Hill…

View attachment 431373
You wouldn't know it, because it's not a great piece of advertising, but this is partly an advert for the chooSE27 app which is supposed to tell you all about West Norwood and the local businesses, workspaces etc.

Does anyone know why the stretch of road between the Upper Tulse Hill crossing and the gyratory was cordoned off by police earlier this afternoon?

The gyratory is still one way. What ever happened to it going 2 way/bi directional/not such a motorway plans?
The latest news was TfL have no money, and it's their responsibility as a red route. They've lowered the speed limit to 20mph and I believe there's going to be some slight remodelling (narrowing the approaches) to bring down speeds in the next few months.

People are a lot less tolerant of noise and music these days. You see it with Brockwell Park and you see it with pubs with live music. Must be something to do with property prices, when people are paying half a million quid for a 2 bed flat and obviously much more for a whole house, they expect to have everything their own way. Even if out of 50 people who live near a pub, if a couple of homes complain it absurdly seems that they get their own way.

Anyone in earshot of the Railway is also in earshot of the railway. Would they shut down the train line because of a noise complaint? Very silly

Back
Top Bottom