Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tribe meets white people for the first time (1976)

King%2B3%2BNatives.jpg

"White man come - steal great Kong!"

Ok, maybe that was a tad triumphalist. :oops:

The filmaker is a great big rascist, obviously.

Don't you think that maybe everyone filming and being filmed might have been in on the joke?

I think everyone there was aware that there were no 'lost tribesmen' present at the film shoot.

So it's racist then?

I just know a certain someone will be along soon having searched for the term 'racist' :(

I get where you're coming from, I just think they were all having a laugh if it was faked.

The filmaker is a great big rascist, obviously.

Don't you think that maybe everyone filming and being filmed might have been in on the joke?

Of course they were.

As to whether or not the filmmaker is a great big racist, well, David Attenborough's perspective on it is very different. He specifically says that trying to impress with 'conjuring tricks' of technology is 'tawdry and trivial'. I have to say on reflection that he's dead right, and in the light of that, this film, even if it was done with good intentions, is itself tawdry and trivial in that it displays the Europeans in a bad light, showing off their conjuring tricks and implicitly asserting their superiority, their difference, where Atenborough wished to assert their shared bond.

So it's racist then?

I just know a certain someone will be along soon having searched for the term 'racist' :(

I get where you're coming from, I just think they were all having a laugh if it was faked.

It's fine if people know it's a fake, done for a joke. Then the bad mugging done by the 'natives' is just part of the joke.

But if you try to pass it off as fact, then some credulous people out there will watch it and think that that's how indigenous people act.

That's why I posted that still from King Kong. We can laugh at it, because it's fiction, and grossly caricaturized fiction at that. But if someone tried to pass the 'native village' scenes off as reality, then that does a gross injustice to the actual aboriginals of New Guinea etc.

Of course they were.

As to whether or not the filmmaker is a great big racist, well, David Attenborough's perspective on it is very different. He specifically says that trying to impress with 'conjuring tricks' of technology is 'tawdry and trivial'. I have to say on reflection that he's dead right, and in the light of that, this film, even if it was done with good intentions, is itself tawdry and trivial in that it displays the Europeans in a bad light, showing off their conjuring tricks and implicitly asserting their superiority, their difference, where Atenborough wished to assert their shared bond.

So Papua New Guinea tribes folk aren't allowed to have a laugh at the expense of gullible people like me?

ETA:

It's fine if people know it's a fake, done for a joke. Then the bad mugging done by the 'natives' is just part of the joke.

But if you try to pass it off as fact, then some credulous people out there will watch it and think that that's how indigenous people act.

OK, get ya. The filmaker does maintain that it is indeed fact.

can a mod please change the title to something along the lines of.....some tribes dudes, and some white dudes, possibly from this century, possibly from the last. Who may or may not have been intrigued by our technology from what ever time the technology was presented to them in, they also were confused by mirrors"

Thank you.

I'm going into the garden for a spliffette. You lot hurt my head.

Back
Top Bottom