Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tree stump removal.

One thing I noticed last year, honey fungus doesn't hang about with the genus prunus and often presages their demise ...

Dwarf plum. :eek:

May I suggest you do a little exploratory surgery, and investigate the root pattern & spread - using a metal fork or something like a pigtail rod to probe for the roots.
To do any serious work you may need to carefully de-turf ...

Usually, the spread of the tree's canopy approximates the spread of the root system [but not always].
Some of the thicker roots near the trunk may have "tap" roots that go "straight" down ...
Have a look at the "root plate" from this very old & large beech tree, get an idea of what I mean ...

mrw - fallen tree par StoneRoad2013, on ipernity

Google something like - uprooted blown down storm damaged trees for some more images.

May I suggest you do a little exploratory surgery, and investigate the root pattern & spread - using a metal fork or something like a pigtail rod to probe for the roots.
To do any serious work you may need to carefully de-turf ...

Usually, the spread of the tree's canopy approximates the spread of the root system [but not always].
Some of the thicker roots near the trunk may have "tap" roots that go "straight" down ...
Have a look at the "root plate" from this very old & large beech tree, get an idea of what I mean ...

mrw - fallen tree par StoneRoad2013, on ipernity

Google something like - uprooted blown down storm damaged trees for some more images.
I've seen pictures like that before and have felled 3 unwanted trees in my garden over the years.

The dwarf plum was planted in the middle of the rockery and is only about 4' from a retaining wall to the front and north sides, a garden path to the south and a 18" thick concrete slab for the carport to the rear. :eek: :(

Hollow out the top of the stump with an axe/chainsaw, fill it with gravel and a bit of soil, plant stuff in it to make it part of the rockery :thumbs:
I've done that but using flat/fast bits then chiselled out. Have a tiny fire and remove charcoal bits. Not Insitu but with big logs for planters. Quite time consuming but enjoyable.

I've done that but using flat/fast bits then chiselled out. Have a tiny fire and remove charcoal bits. Not Insitu but with big logs for planters. Quite time consuming but enjoyable.
Quite a few streets round here have planted stuff in diseased elms after the council have cut the tree down and removed the bark from the stump.
IMG-20210313-181720.jpg

I'm after one or two really big cut-down logs atm to hollow out, but for bees to live in rather than plants

Local Hereford based farmers used to get the trainees at the nearby SAS training centre to assist on removal. Good training for them and a boon to the farmers.
What other freelance jobs can the SAS trainees do? My flat needs redecorating, and there's a massive bay tree in the back which has to be dealt with before the neighbours prosecute us for blocking the light.

When I lived in Belgium I did a few of them by slinging an old tyre over them and burning them out. Wait for favorable winds but it works very well. Even a big walnut stump was gone in 8-12 hours of zero effort.

I've seen pictures like that before and have felled 3 unwanted trees in my garden over the years.

The dwarf plum was planted in the middle of the rockery and is only about 4' from a retaining wall to the front and north sides, a garden path to the south and a 18" thick concrete slab for the carport to the rear. :eek: :(

Quite like iona 's suggestion of turning it into a feature of the rockery, as a planter [will give some added height] as it wouldn't be in the way - unlike some of the stumps I've helped remove, which have been in larger grassed areas ... assuming that the plum tree didn't cark from anything nasty / transmissible to the rest of the garden ...

there's a massive bay tree in the back which has to be dealt with before the neighbours prosecute us for blocking the light.
They are a sod to deal with. I cut mine down about 5 years ago as it was getting out of hand and it still keeps putting new growth out. :eek:

Probably not ideal if it's in the middle of a rockery though.

Why was the tree cut down WouldBe, was it damaged / diseased / already dead or just not wanted there?
It was healthy :( just out of control. It was supposed to be a dwarf plum but was over 30' high and about the same in diameter. So impossible to prune it and any fruit that did form were at the top of the tree so unreachable. :(

One possibility might be to burn it out by building a bonfire on top of it, though if it's close to a fence or other trees that might not be an option either
I tried that with a small willow stump in my garden. Even though I poured copious amounts of flammable liquid on it, dug out around it and built a bonfire in the hole, it didn't work.

I gave up after two or three attempts over several days. I ended up hacking the bit above ground to pieces with an axe/saw combo. At least I killed it.

Some time after, I mentioned to friends about my bonfire attempt and they said they'd tried it too. Except in their case, they had smoke coming out of the ground at various places around their garden for days.

I tried that with a small willow stump in my garden. Even though I poured copious amounts of flammable liquid on it, dug out around it and built a bonfire in the hole, it didn't work.

I gave up after two or three attempts over several days. I ended up hacking the bit above ground to pieces with an axe/saw combo. At least I killed it.

Some time after, I mentioned to friends about my bonfire attempt and they said they'd tried it too. Except in their case, they had smoke coming out of the ground at various places around their garden for days.
I bet they drilled some holes in it before they lit the fire.

It's not something I have massive experience of, but what I had in mind was making a bonfire using all the wood from the felled tree, rather than just dousing the stump with petrol.

Sounds like that isn't possible in the OP's context though.

Need a tyre. There is the same amount of energy released burning a tyre as there is in a ton of coal.

Back to the fungal option then ... honey fungus :D
(some people consider them edible)
If you'd asked me last autumn I could have harvested some spores from the dying prunus in the park ...

Last edited:
It's not something I have massive experience of, but what I had in mind was making a bonfire using all the wood from the felled tree, rather than just dousing the stump with petrol.

Sounds like that isn't possible in the OP's context though.
No not possible plus I want the wood for my woodburner.

Back
Top Bottom