Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tree stump removal.

WouldBe

Dislicksick
What's the best way to remove a tree stump (about 12" diameter)?
Don't particularly want to get a stump grinder in and most of the stuff I've looked at just seems to be extra strong weed killer. :hmm:

You could dig around it, get down to the roots, saw/axe them & release the stump, I did that once and believe me it took bloody hours and was fucking hard work.

Next time, I got a tree surgeon in with a stump grinder, sorted in no time, can't remember what it cost, but I remember thinking at the time that it was well worth it.

You could dig around it, get down to the roots, saw/axe them & release the stump, I did that once and believe me it took bloody hours and was fucking hard work.

Next time, I got a tree surgeon in with a stump grinder, sorted in no time, can't remember what it cost, but I remember thinking at the time that it was well worth it.

Definite no to the first paragraph! Well hard work.

Get a stump grinder to do it. They're ace, and they leave a pile of shredded roots which are fantastic soil conditioner.

Plus, you know...big noisy machine...

ETA: My stump was about 1m in diameter and it took Stumpgrinder Steve (it's said that on the side of his van) about 2 hours to do and cost me about £80.

Last edited:
I remember looking at hiring a stump grinder, it cost the same to get a professional in to do it, checking hire prices today, I guess I paid £70-£80 at the time.

I've done that. Bloody nightmare.

What's the best way to remove a tree stump (about 12" diameter)?
Don't particularly want to get a stump grinder in and most of the stuff I've looked at just seems to be extra strong weed killer. :hmm:
Why don't you want to get a stump grinder in?

Unless there are significant access issues it's definitely the most effective way to remove the stump.

I remember looking at hiring a stump grinder, it cost the same to get a professional in to do it, checking hire prices today, I guess I paid £70-£80 at the time.
Oh yeah. Definitely. If I'd been let loose with one of those machines, I'd have ground next doors Corsa down to the size of a Tonka toy, and probably laid waste to the nursing home 4 doors down.

Some years ago - we had a dodgy tree in the front garden - it was rotten to the core and the storms brought it down , so I was able to chain saw it. Good firewood.

That left the stump - but a good mate who is a Landrover proud owner - got it pulled out with a series of pulls and his attached winch. Made his day (plus mine)

There are access problems, very narrow road way. :(

And money is tight at the moment. :(
One possibility might be to burn it out by building a bonfire on top of it, though if it's close to a fence or other trees that might not be an option either

One possibility might be to burn it out by building a bonfire on top of it, though if it's close to a fence or other trees that might not be an option either
maybe turn it into a Swedish torch.
I also think I've seen it done with a metal bin filled with straw

81iby0YX3VL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Just get a half inch drill bit. Drill the fuck out of the stump downwards. Fill the holes with sodium chlorate (a common weedkiller, avail on amazon), cork the holes. A week later build a fire on the stump. Later rip the charred remains out with a spade.

Have seen potassium nitrate available from the US but might get flagged up as a terrorist trying to import it. :eek: :(

You can buy it on Amazon. Both potassium and sodium nitrates are sold as preservatives. Flowers of sulphur, powdered charcoal.

Mix together damp, grind in mortar and pestle, go away on holiday, return, bang pestle into mortar, lose your eyebrows, front of hair and garage window. Father comes tearing down, discovers you are still alive and proceeds to half kill you. :)

I've dug out quite a few tree stumps over the years ... mostly spruce or pines but one or two ash and beech.
It is very hard work, and can leave a big hole that takes another load of time & effort to fill up properly. [and when the roots left behind rot down, you'll need to relevel the site].

Best method might depend a little on what species the tree was - as that will determine the extent of & how far the roots spread out and the way the "tap roots" dive down into the subsoil.

Stump grinders are magic tools if you can get access ...
My second choice would be to either chemically treat & then burn it out or split it and dig it out in stages, both of which need plenty of time to work properly.
Something I would not advise doing, but I have seen it done --- If you don't mind sacrificing a chain or two, and already know how to use a chain saw, then mis-using an electric [mains] chain saw as a grinder is a potential solution [contact with the soil will wear out the chain very quickly, both by blunting the blades but also by fine junk getting into the bearings in the link - which makes doing this very risky & dangerous - FULL PPE Chain saw kit required].

Back
Top Bottom