Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Trains that run down the middle of a town's street

editor

hiraethified
I'd like to live on a street like this one (go to 1:15 for the action - it's a bloody massive train so it's still rolling by on 9:40!). The temptation to jump on a wagon would be huge, mind. :)

It's in LaGrange, Kentucky

Elizabeth, PA:

Cars in the way

Here's one from down under

used to happen in grove street, deptford

grove+s2t+2.jpg

Wow, I've seen the Thailand one but didn't know it was something that happened in the West. Those guys cutting in front of the train are nuts, it'd take just one person being in the way (and lets face it you can hardly see if the path is clear with a train in the way) or stalling or something and you'd be fucked.

Looks very cool though, these things are just big trams really.

Surprised that even in the US examples the trains path isn't always marked clearly.

Wexford in Ireland had a train that ran alongside or very close to the main harbour Street IIRC.

Its been years bit I got a bit of a start when I saw it passing alongside me on the bike!

Wow, I've seen the Thailand one but didn't know it was something that happened in the West. Those guys cutting in front of the train are nuts, it'd take just one person being in the way (and lets face it you can hardly see if the path is clear with a train in the way) or stalling or something and you'd be fucked.

Looks very cool though, these things are just big trams really.
Very very very long big trams. Full of heavy freight.

When I first used to go to Dieppe the ferry used to pull into the town centre and the railway ran alongside it. This happened up to about 15/20 years ago when the new ferry port opened. It looked similar to the previously posted pic of Weymouth.

Anyway here's a pic to give the flavour of the times past.

dieppescan2_amended.jpg

ETA: Just found a more modern pic. Last time I very specifically remember it like this was on my honeymoon, that's 25 years ago this year.

train at dieppe station-02.jpg

Wexford in Ireland had a train that ran alongside or very close to the main harbour Street IIRC.

Its been years bit I got a bit of a start when I saw it passing alongside me on the bike!
It still did a couple of years ago when I was last there. There's a pavement along the harbour, then railway, then road, all parallel with no barriers and the railway crosses a junction in one of the scariest level crossings I've ever seen (it's not even properly a level crossing, more a set of traffic signals, and again no barriers). A very weird set up.

Not sure whether this is classed as "street running" or just a very long level crossing. It is signalled to road users as the latter - and some oiks still try jumping the lights ...

WHR_NGG87_Porthmadog_Britannia_bridge_1.jpg

This is one of the WHR ex-South African Garretts (I think No143) crossing Britannia Bridge in Porthmadog (image from Wikipedia).

(I don't have one of mine uploaded to Ipernity, at present)

I take it that the access to certain shipyards in Glasgow over Glasgow Corporation Tramways must count for inclusion in this thread

They used to run some freight on the tram system in Leeds back in the 1920s. Unfortunately I don't think it'll be on YouTube.

Unfortunately there wasn't a train running over this bridge when I drove this way, but this is what it looks like when there is one (New Zealand)

Unfortunately there wasn't a train running over this bridge when I drove this way, but this is what it looks like when there is one (New Zealand)

Road rail bridges were quiet common in NZ in fifties and sixties, some of them very long as well.Over the years they've been taken out of service and replaced by separate bridges though some still exist.There's a big one on SH1 Ch.Ch to Nelson/Malborough although the traffic is separated the train on the top deck and motor vehicles on the lower.(actual haven't been there for a while I think a separate road bridge opened in 2007)

And Weymouth too until relatively recently - you could get on at Waterloo and rock right up to the harbour!

wey2.jpg

weymouth quay railway

I went to jersey when I was 3 or 4 and have always had vague memories being on a train going down a street. It was nice a few years ago to be able to confirmmthat it really did happen

Still running...

It is very odd being on a 1916 vintage train running up the middle of roads, peeps out doing shopping, etc
Worth a go

Apparently they're getting longer according to this dude.

A 1.5 mile train followed by another that takes 10 minutes to pass so is probably longer.

Back
Top Bottom