Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Trains into Victoria + Victoria line chat

In that case you only travel on a short section of the South London Line which was the first main line stretch of railway in the UK to be electrified. It originally had overhead cables (if you look along the trackside you might see the odd chopped-off stump of the gantry structures) but was later converted to 3rd rail system like the rest of the south east.

some nice pictures of the elevated electric on this page (Brighton branch ASLEF)

Another thing is i really dont like the interior of my new train...no tables, and lots of seats are in 4s and 6s facing other people with very little leg room and lots of knee rubbing....the two seaters are really tight...whole thing is generally crap for people with long legs
I think you will be travelling in a Class 465 (or 466) dating from BR times :thumbs:

Known as "Networkers" although I understand some railway staff call them "notworkers".

I havent been able to find a picture of the interior - its not the ones in that link, nor others ive googled...its not that important really - so long as the world knows i dont like it ;)

Another interesting building around there is this thing
now
Safestore Self Storage Battersea Ingate
o.jpg

Not the best photo... its massive...i wonder what it used to be...

seems to have been furniture depository (warehouse) - Hamptons & Sons (more about them here)

found one reference online to it being Harrods furniture depository but think that's near Hammersmith Bridge.

Used by Decca from the 60s

seems to have been furniture depository (warehouse) - Hamptons & Sons (more about them here)

found one reference online to it being Harrods furniture depository but think that's near Hammersmith Bridge.

Used by Decca from the 60s
"In 1926 the firm opened a (furniture) factory at Ingate Place, Battersea close to the firm's existing depository. Amongst the firm's noteable contracts were the Royal Yacht Britannia, the liners the Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, Theatre Royal Drury Lane, the Duke of York Theatre, the Dorchester and the Mayfair Hotels and the palaces of two Indian princes, the Nizam of Hyderabad and the Maharajah of Kashmir."

Didn't know there was once a depot at Peckham Rye!

www.old-maps.co.uk 1916 mapping (can't do direct link) shows two 'engine sheds', one of which looks the right shape for this (I guess that OS were not used to the concept of an electric unit depot in 1916) more or less where Linwood Close is now (in the V shaped bit just west of the junction where the line to East Dulwich and the line to Denmark Hill separate)

When I was a kid and could see it, I quite liked all that industrial stuff between Battersea Park and Victoria. Powerstation the big gas drone things, I forget what you call them. The things that look like giant barrels. And the lights around Battersea Park at night. I go through Victoria about once a month, it always does my head in, always busy.

0000-b-hind-queens-rd.jpg

described as the 'decca building' c. 1967 (from this collection)

As an ex-Battersea dweller I wondered f it was the old Decca factory.

When I moved to Battersea in 1984 there was still 'Save Decca Records' graffiti around...

Is that looking out from what would be platform 8 now, where the left luggage is?

not entirely sure - i don't personally remember the place before it was rebuilt in 1906...

but i think this picture was taken looking from the southern end of the station building looking north towards the platforms

As an ex-Battersea dweller I wondered f it was the old Decca factory.

When I moved to Battersea in 1984 there was still 'Save Decca Records' graffiti around...
Supposedly it was Deccas tv and radio building factory rather than the music biz side of things....

Back
Top Bottom