Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tokyo Olympics Covid watch

strung out

💩 🤣 🍆 💦 🧐 👻 🐝 🐈‍⬛
A thread for collecting news related to Covid 19 and the Tokyo Olympics, e.g. outbreaks in the Olympic village, stars withdrawing after positive tests, local pandemic news from Tokyo, and anything else related to the pandemic and the Olympics.

I'll kick off with the news that some British athletes appear to be refusing the vaccine because of worries about side effects:

I'm watching the news, and it's nice to see people protesting Bach travelling all over the country. Travelling between Tokyo and Hiroshima, both places under S.O.E., fucking olympic cunts (soz).

Person from overseas has tested positive at the Olympic athletes' village.

It's pure madness letting these Games go ahead - I don't understand the decision-making process that concluded disappointing TV viewers and ruining the Olympic dreams of a few thousand athletes is a worse outcome than potentially seeding the Delta variant in scores of countries with very low vaccination rates.

It's pure madness letting these Games go ahead - I don't understand the decision-making process that concluded disappointing TV viewers and ruining the Olympic dreams of a few thousand athletes is a worse outcome than potentially seeding the Delta variant in scores of countries with very low vaccination rates.

The general vibe here is people are not happy with the Games going ahead, esp with the glacial roll out of vaccines. It seems the LDP care more about the image than the citizens. Of course, that image won't be too shiny if there's a rise in infections, as you say.

Money, the only reason the games are going on is because of money. Big money changing hands behind the scenes.
Not many people want or even care about the games at this point, but still they go on.

Most people here were cheering the Euros on, despite them obviously being responsible for a surge in case rates. It's not much of a leap to go from that to a crowd-free Olympics.

Gotta keep the creepy dollar rolling in...

I vaguely remember something similar in Women's gymnastics recently, where a (German?) gymnast was threatened with some sort of action if she wore something different to the standard up-your-bum leotard.

As far as I remember, she went ahead and wore an alternative, and other women have since followed her example.

I hope the Norwegian women will stick to their shorts and dare the Olympic authorities to try to punish them.

The head of the organising committee for the Tokyo Olympics has not ruled out a last-minute cancellation of the Games.

Rising coronavirus cases have presented organisers with mounting challenges, with 10 more positive cases in the last 24 hours bringing the total number of people affected to 68.

Asked at a news conference if the Games, which are due to open on Friday, might still be cancelled, Toshiro Muto said he would keep an eye on infection numbers and hold discussions with organisers if necessary.

We all know how much work and money has gone in to this, but ffs, pull the plug, anything else is just madness on the criminal side of things.

We all know how much work and money has gone in to this, but ffs, pull the plug, anything else is just madness on the criminal side of things.
Don't feel it will be cancelled. Not only the financial loss, but it will be a psychological blow, losing face and all that.

Obviously it would be the sensible thing to do but this is the LDP and the IOC...

Bit of carnage ahead of the athletics starting tomorrow:

Three members of the Australian athletics team remain in isolation at the Tokyo Olympics after close contact with American pole vaulter Sam Kendricks, who has tested positive for Covid-19.

Kendricks, the reigning world champion, has been ruled out of the Games.
The three Australian athletes had PCR tests and all returned negative results, but will remain in isolation.

A further 41 athletes briefly isolated in their rooms but no longer need to.

Argentine pole vaulter German Chiaraviglio has also tested positive for Covid-19 and been ruled out of the Olympics.

On Thursday, the International Olympic Committee said two Olympic-related Covid-19 cases are being treated in hospital, although not in intensive care.

There have now been 193 cases among Olympic personnel, including 20 athletes.

Back
Top Bottom