Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ticket to Rye - recommendations

The fuck?

you might not have noticed it if you were in the tunnel

2_dartford-crossing.jpg

the bridge has been there since 1991, it's usually used for southbound traffic and the tunnel for northbound

you might not have noticed it if you were in the tunnel

2_dartford-crossing.jpg

the bridge has been there since 1991, it's usually used for southbound traffic and the tunnel for northbound
I saw a bridge. I know Edinburgh, so I’m used to the notion of several bridges next to each other crossing the same river. It never occurred to me one would be northbound and the other southbound! (Notions, incidentally, that were introduced on signage on the M25, which I frankly didn’t understand on a road that must be either clockwise or anti-clockwise, surely?)

I saw a bridge. I know Edinburgh, so I’m used to the notion of several bridges next to each other crossing the same river. It never occurred to me one would be northbound and the other southbound! (Notions, incidentally, that were introduced on signage on the M25, which I frankly didn’t understand on a road that must be either clockwise or anti-clockwise, surely?)

If you’re joining the M25 for a few junctions, it’s easier to think about whether you are heading roughly north/south or east/west than whether you want widdershins or sunwise.

There aren't several bridges next to each other - the nearest one is Tower Bridge.

i think both crossings can be used in both directions if one needs to be closed following an incident / for maintenance, or if it's too windy for the bridge to be used.

i think i've only driven through the dartford crossing once - that was northbound via the tunnel, and it was long enough ago for there to be actual toll booths. i've been across on buses a few times since.

the bright lights of dartford and the dartford bridge, seen from top deck of southbound bus on the dartford bridge

yes, in general terms, the M25 is referred to as clockwise / anti clockwise when it comes to traffic reports, but the signs when you go on show locations (like Dartford, Gatwick, Heathrow and so on) and show north / south or east / west rather than referring to clockwise / anti clockwise. like

1727811123861.png

The blackwall tunnel (somewhere nearer greenwich / poplar in east / south east london) is 2 separate tunnels, again one is northbound only, the other is usually southbound only (the newer southbound one used to be set up so it could be used two way so there could be three northbound lanes in the morning peak, or so the older tunnel could be closed for maintenance, but think they may have stopped that on safety grounds) - nearer central / west london there are more bridges, but each is regarded as a separate entity.

There aren't several bridges next to each other - the nearest one is Tower Bridge.
I may have expressed myself badly.

From Edinburgh to Fife, across the Forth, there are the Forth Rail Bridge, the Forth Road Bridge, and the Queensferry Crossing, right next to each other.

When I drive, as I do a couple of times a week, to Alloa from Glasgow, and back, the Kincardine Bridge and the Clackmannanshire Bridge cross that part of the Forth right next to each other.

This idea of several choices of crossing of a river, with the newer adding to, rather than replacing, the older, is familiar to me.

What surprises me is to learn that the tunnel is - ordinarily - for northbound (anti-clockwise) traffic and the bridge - ordinarily - for southbound (clockwise). That’s novel to me.

otherwise known as the first, second and third, forth bridges?

:p
The First Firth of Forth Bridge is the Forth Rail Bridge, the Second Firth of Forth Bridge is the Kincardine Bridge, the Third Firth of Forth Bridge is the Forth Road Bridge, the Fourth Firth of Forth Bridge is the Clackmannanshire Bridge, and the Fifth Firth of Forth Bridge is the Queensferry Crossing.

It's really quite easy if you remember it this way: first, a firth is an estuary; second, the Forth is a river; and third, the First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Forth Bridges are bridges over the Firth of Fourth.

IIRC that’s what quimcunx wanted the new one to be called - the QE first and second third Forth bridge. Something about Picts not recognising good queen Bess.
Queen Elizabeth I of England was recognised by Scots as Queen of England. She was, however, not Queen of Scotland. Her immediate successor, James VI of Scotland, son of Mary Queen of Scots, was king of Scotland and of England (the first monarch to be monarch of both countries). He is therefore James I (of England) & VI (of Scotland), or James I & VI for short.

Since the late Queen Elizabeth II was only the first Queen Elizabeth of Scotland, she should have been called Elizabeth II & I, as the precedent set by her forerunner, James, had it.

There was no Queen Elizabeth of Scotland before QEII. While I don’t approve of monarchy, the arithmetic illogicality of the first Queen Elizabeth of Scotland being Queen Elizabeth II makes my brain itch. And I’m deeply sorry you reminded me.

Queen Elizabeth I of England was recognised by Scots as Queen of England. She was, however, not Queen of Scotland. Her immediate successor, James VI of Scotland, son of Mary Queen of Scots, was king of Scotland and of England (the first monarch to be monarch of both countries). He is therefore James I (of England) & VI (of Scotland), or James I & VI for short.

Since the late Queen Elizabeth II was only the first Queen Elizabeth of Scotland, she should have been called Elizabeth II & I, as the precedent set by her forerunner, James, had it.

There was no Queen Elizabeth of Scotland before QEII. While I don’t approve of monarchy, the arithmetic illogicality of the first Queen Elizabeth of Scotland being Queen Elizabeth II makes my brain itch. And I’m deeply sorry you reminded me.
Now 'simplified' so that whichsoever is the greater regnal number takes precedence. Hence, a James ascending the throne will be James VIII, not James III.

William is a slightly odd one. The English William III was the Scottish William II, but no one gave a shit when the next one came along and became simply William IV.

Aint monarchy great?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom