Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This beach is full of sand and I want something done about it

mauvais

on reddit or something
So it's a windy day in the shires, and an old man walks into an estate agent.

Old man: "I'd like to buy a house please"

Estate agent: "Certainly sir - what kind of a house are you looking for?"

Old man: "I'm not bothered in the slightest, any house will do, except for one thing"

Estate agent: "What's that?"

Old man: "I really hate SAND"

Estate agent: "OK sir, well we do have this house by the beach"

Old man: "And will there be any SAND there?"

Estate agent: "No sir"

Old man: "I'll take it!"

Old man: "AAARRRGGGHHHHHH"

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/local/dunes_are_making_our_lives_a_misery_1_4135669

Tony Denye, 62, is also having his roof replaced in order to clear out the sand which has built-up underneath the tiles.

He told The Gazette: “When the sand gets blown away it comes at my house and I don’t think the council know how bad the situation is. I have got tonnes of sand in my back garden.

“I pay £30 to have the sand removed every time there’s a storm, but it comes back on a regular basis.”

ispecificallysaidnosand.jpg

Is this not an issue of houses being built where there were dunes and that dunes form because of sand being blown around, rather like it is doing in their gardens?

The dunes are still there and always have been. I grew up there - sand everywhere, all the time.

The houses have been there for twenty years as well.

Hm, a bit like people moving into a road with a pub and complaining about the noise of people drinking outside

The dunes are still there and always have been. I grew up there - sand everywhere, all the time.

I don't think it is wise to build houses in sand dunes - to try and 'reclaim' sand dunes for building on. That amount of sand would be annoying to most people.

What a stupid place to build houses. Totally fucked with just a little bit of sea level rise.

Also
Dale Marsh, 74, added: “At one point the dunes used to be cut out but not anymore. It’s such a pain trying to clean it up and it’s back again next week.

Whatever ''cut out'' means.

You're not allowed to sweep it up and trundle it back to the beach, either. That's illegal flytipping, and you'll be done for it.
Mind you, even if you weren't likely to get done for it, it would be like painting The Forth Bridge.

I am up the hill from the sea. All the upsides, none of those pesky sea-creatures-in-the-dining-room downsides

I am v wary of dunes. They are shapeshifting mofos

the MiL lives in st annes (not far from blackpool), and tells me that it's generally accepted that theres extra upkeep on all the houses round there because of the sand. it's never occurred to me before she mentioned it though, so i suppose if you're moving to a seaside town you wouldn't necessarily expect it.

they seem to be complaining that the council used to maintain the dunes and no longer do though - that seems a reasonable complaint?

What a stupid place to build houses. Totally fucked with just a little bit of sea level rise.
You have to lose quite a bit of beach before that happens. You can see the tide marks on the map, although what time of year I don't know: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1+bea...=ohEVfkJ70ZU-rCUmkrPFbw&cbp=11,311.32,,0,2.81

Still fairly stupid though. Plus all the other ones they built on the flood plains around there.

Also

Whatever ''cut out'' means.
No idea. There's sand everywhere though, dunes or no dunes. Blackpool's got a sea wall with no dunes and it's the same. That's what comes of living by the beach, by the Irish Sea.

You're not allowed to sweep it up and trundle it back to the beach, either. That's illegal flytipping, and you'll be done for it.
Mind you, even if you weren't likely to get done for it, it would be like painting The Forth Bridge.
I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to take sand either, so it's probably theft with an element of entrapment.

the MiL lives in st annes (not far from blackpool), and tells me that it's generally accepted that theres extra upkeep on all the houses round there because of the sand. it's never occurred to me before she mentioned it though, so i suppose if you're moving to a seaside town you wouldn't necessarily expect it
Then you are a fool, a fool I tell you. Sand, sand, sand, twenty five hours a day. What's for tea mum? Ooh, sand again.

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything's soft... and smooth...

Back
Top Bottom