Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Theoretical probability question

Because RGB monitors exploit the inherent limitations of the human eye, its inability to tell the difference between a specific wavelength of light and 2 wavelengths that are either side of that frequency and stimulate the cones in the same way. If we measure that light we will be able to differentiate between those 2 different frequencies. Again humans may have a concept of yellow that isn't tied to a particular frequency but I think this is too vague to be meaningful. Remove human interpretation and give me raw numbers, then I may then be able to make more sense of it.
I don't find the concept of yellow to be vague at all. I'm not in doubt about experiencing the mental image 'yellow'. I can conjure it up in my mind's eye and it is unmistakable when the mental image is a fully vivid one, such as but not exclusively when the nerves in my eyes send back particular signals that I integrate into the model that is my experience as the meaning that I'm looking at a yellow thing.

That's the crux of it, no? I know 'yellow' as well as I know anything. I can't describe it to you in meaningful terms, but that doesn't mean I'm vague about it.

I don't find the concept of yellow to be vague at all. I'm not in doubt about experiencing the mental image 'yellow'. I can conjure it up in my mind's eye and it is unmistakable when the mental image is a fully vivid one, such as but not exclusively when the nerves in my eyes send back particular signals that I integrate into the model that is my experience as the meaning that I'm looking at a yellow thing.

That's the crux of it, no? I know 'yellow' as well as I know anything. I can't describe it to you in meaningful terms, but that doesn't mean I'm vague about it.
Unless you can convey your experience of yellow in terms that another can understand, then it doesn't matter what you can imagine, no matter how vivid it may be. If I were to describe yellow as a particular RGB or HSL value then you could reproduce the exact colour yourself. Whereas, if I say it looked like banana or lemon you'd only have an approximate idea (assuming you'd already had experience of lemons or bananas).

It doesn’t matter?

What other subjective internal experiences don’t matter? Joy? Love? Pain? Are these things fictitious?

Yellow is experiential. Our subjective experience of it is thus the only thing that matters. Measuring its stimulus is exactly as relevant to the concept of yellow as is measuring something that causes pain and declaring that to be pain.

Back
Top Bottom