Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Then and now: St Agnes Place

Brixton Hatter said:
The rasta temple on St Agnes Place is being evicted right now.

I've just been past on my bike on my way to work and there's plenty of coppers, riot vans etc and the road is sealed off. I managed to get quite close round the back through the park. Unlike when the evictions of the other squats happened over a year ago, there's virtually no-one about, apart from an army of coppers and other workmen - who appeared to be plumbers and electricians. I'm guessing they are going to cut the utility supplies in advance of demolishing the remaining houses. The last three properties are huge terraced three-storey victorian houses, beautiful buildings. If they're knocked down, it's fucking disgrace and a total waste of decent housing. No doubt they will be replaced by bland flats.....but I expect the site to stay empty for the time being...just like the rest of the road has been empty for the last 18 months.
:(

:(

Don't think the site'll stay empty for that long though...
The council just were waiting for a way to evict the temple without any upset.:mad:
Now they can cash in.
Expect "luxury flats" very soon

Onket said:
In my opinion the loss of the buildings is the real shame here.

I agree completely. They were fantastic buildings with brilliant gargoyles and Lambeth should have de-squattered them and done them up years ago. They did it with loads of streets all across the borough by offering shortlife or hard-to-let places, or by coming to agreement with the residents and granting them tenancies. There was no reason why that shouldn't have happened in St Agnes, although the untogetherness of successive generations of squatters didn't help.

Tea and sympathy

The coppers have had their catering van parked outside for the past few weeks to service the officers who seem to be stationed there 24 hrs. I guess the police presence was for protection rather than intelligence gathering, with the police catering van to deter any would-be (alleged) drug purchasers.

Going, going, gone....... :oops:(

The "rasta temple" on St Agnes Place has now been demolished, as these pictures show. None of the original four storey victorian houses on that road exist anymore now, save for a small row of posher-looking ones further up the road that appear to have been built slightly later than the old squatted houses. The only signs of the previous character of the street are the railings painted red, gold and green.

May 2007

84205752.NWeGDf1H.jpg

June 2007

84205753.dUy9xNmQ.jpg

July 2007

84205764.3Z5QKyfA.jpg

Anyone know what the plans are for that bit of land? Flats I guess. It even looks like the new flats on that road are going to be demolished too...the ground floor is all boarded up. I guess they have to evict those people as well before they can start work proper. :(

None of the pictures are appearing for me.
If you like, you could send me copies and I'll make a page for the Brixton 'squats' section on urban75?

Be good to have St Agnes properly documented in the Brixton section...

They aren't working for me either.

Sad that the old buildings have gone but that area is certainly a nicer place to live now the 'temple' has gone. They really should have kept the old buildings & renovated them.

Are those newer flats squatted too then? I have no problem with that building being knocked down as it's a fucking eyesore. I strongly suspect that whatever gets built in place of the lost buildings will also be an eyesore but I would be happy with new buildings in the style of the older ones.

I did call a number that was displayed on the door of the 'temple' after the raid but before it was levelled, it was Lambeth Council and the woman didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I left my tel number & my email address asking for information but no-one ever got back to me.

Onket said:
They aren't working for me either.

Sad that the old buildings have gone but that area is certainly a nicer place to live now the 'temple' has gone. They really should have kept the old buildings & renovated them.

Are those newer flats squatted too then? I have no problem with that building being knocked down as it's a fucking eyesore. I strongly suspect that whatever gets built in place of the lost buildings will also be an eyesore but I would be happy with new buildings in the style of the older ones.

I did call a number that was displayed on the door of the 'temple' after the raid but before it was levelled, it was Lambeth Council and the woman didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I left my tel number & my email address asking for information but no-one ever got back to me.

As I understand it the reason the council demolished them was that years of not being properly maintained meant that they were structurally unsound. Personally I'd rather they were properly rennovated since they'd have been much nicer than your average quality of new flat in Lambeth. But I can see that it could have been more expensive to retrofit things like good insulation than to start from scratch.

Brixton Hatter said:
Anyone know what the plans are for that bit of land? Flats I guess. It even looks like the new flats on that road are going to be demolished too...the ground floor is all boarded up. I guess they have to evict those people as well before they can start work proper. :(

I’m not sure that those newer flats on the opposite side of the road from the Rasta house are squatted, I think what’d be more likely is that as people have moved out the council have boarded them up as they will be demolished when the building work starts on the sports and leisure centre and the affordable housing/housing association/private sales apartments are built. I’ve seen the plans and it looks fuckin horrible :(

Bearing in mind the first load of squats were knocked down in 2005, I think it’s disgusting that it’s taken so long to do any kind of work on the site. :mad:

Ok, but they are still patches of land that are owned by Lambeth which used to have (badly needed) housing on them which was knocked down & have not redeveloped since way before 2005.

my ex husband used to live in one of them houses on st agnes place.he was one of 12 kids,bet they'd be worth a few million all done up and sold off now,

Past aside - I quite like it. The proportions in image 2 are pleasingly Georgian and very "London". I also like the scale of the two storey brick with another glazed storey set back on the roof.

Back
Top Bottom