Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Welsh Accent - Has it softened in recent years?

Accents are the prime method of social and generational identification and recognition. They have to change over time or there'd be no point.

RubberBuccaneer said:
Cheers - have done
:D errrr, I dont know what my accents like,, I'm from, in between newport and abergavenny,, I certainly dont talk likes I'm from Pil/ll right, Abergavenny is more welsh than me, i think,
and now i live with a brixton boy, so I find myself saying 'Baked' and worta instead of waTer,,

I hate talking on answer phones, coz I always think I sound really welsh and dull, and dopey,,:(

Oh yeah,, and i found this little site http://www.talktidy.com/xoops/html/modules/Talktidy/index.php/index.html
click on the A-Z on the left hand side,,

Ach-a-fi !!! :D

I dunno about accents throughout Wales but I have noticed the welsh bloke on the Extreme Archeology programmes says humans funny. He says some other words funny but I can't think just now, they're all oo type words though.

Is that local to a particular area of Wales?

Brockway said:
East Cardiff ie Llanrumney, has a touch of Newport worzel in it. North Cardiff is the poshest. To my ears Ely sounds the most "Welsh" in the sense that monkeeunit thinks of a Welsh accent. South Cardiff you can detect strong Irish and West Country lilts. Riverside a mix of Asian Welsh and faux Cockney.

Nobodys mentioned liverpuddlian
I think a really broad kaiirdiff accent can sound scouse

and since when has the kairdiff accent encompassed a welsh accent anyways? there is very little thats welsh about a kaiirdiff accent any more, I belive as a result of it being full of imcommers through generations via the docks and heavy industry

The kairdiff accent is about as english as you'll get outside of monmouth/newport areas

That wenglish site didn t have 'I do' in it
In the rhymney valley ' I do go' - meaning I go or I went or regularly..... is widely used

as is " I do do" .... whatever activity follows means "I go to or I partake in ( in the strictest sense of the word anyway
so you get things like " On thursday I do go to the bingo"
Or I do do go up the chippy on friday ( meaning I went or I will to the chippy on friday)

Hearing people say " I do do" is like hearing a stutter to someone from outside the area

LilMissHissyFit said:

and since when has the kairdiff accent encompassed a welsh accent anyways? there is very little thats welsh about a kaiirdiff accent any more, I belive as a result of it being full of imcommers through generations via the docks and heavy industry

The kairdiff accent is about as english as you'll get outside of monmouth/newport areas

reckon i agree with this most sensible post :cool:

like ther is a big difference between Swansea and Llanelli accents to my ear and they're not really that far apart 15miles or so

Theres a world of difference
I Lived about as close to Llanelli as was possible apart from living in gorseinon ( which had its own swansea valleys accent) and I sound nothing like someone from llanelli( think BB imogen all over but thicker accent wise)

There are several swansea accents, a mumbles/west cross end accent ( think catherine Zeta bleeugh without the yank drawl)
Then theres west swansea generally with sketty, dunvant etc which is pretty similar to west cross/mumbles only not so defined/poooosh
Then you have town which is a mixture but mainly north and east swansea which are very welshy, think twin town munnnnnnnn innet Laav( hard E sound pronounced e-h- not eh pronounced a-y)very sing songey up and down pronounciation and long long vowels blayyyn ah mayyyys, penlaaaan, ( bonymaen) bon ( pronounced bone) eeeeeeee maen ( as in mine- coal mine)

The line of separation being the east /west divide, generally along the line which isnt the tawe as some people think but I believe the mount pleasant area, north of that to townhill and cockett beynond into blaeeeanymaes the bonymean etc which liies in what is socially 'east' evrything else to the west

I would be mortified and so would my brothers if we spoke the 'east' accent
but my mates all get me to say want when were drinking for their amusement
The say want ( pronounced wont) up here in Caerphilly, I apparent say Wunt

Accents do change, but they stick too. I was born in the Rhymni Valley and we moved to the Rhondda when I was five - but my accent is perceptibly different from my brother's, and he's only three years younger. We were living in Bristol when my second daughter was born, and she couldn't talk when we moved - but when she started it was straight Bedminster (and least she's got over that now, thank God!). There are a lot of forces making for sameness, but things working the other way too - listen to the very strange way 'Dillon' Thomas found it necessary to speak: at least we're spared that crap!

LilMissHissyFit said:

and since when has the kairdiff accent encompassed a welsh accent anyways?

Don't you reckon that Scouse is a mixture of Gog, Irish and Lancashire? - I've met plenty of Liverpool people who speak better Welsh than I do, and it seems to me very close to other Gog accents - as compared with other bits of 'English' Wales, like Oswestry say, where I've also lived, which is much more 'Mid-Wales'ish.

Im not the best person to ask on that one I dont think, My mum is from Birkenhead so I hear souse V's birkenhead which is a variant.
I can associate the Kaaiiirdiff bits with scouse but Im not very good at disseminating it any further then

LilMissHissyFit said:
That wenglish site didn t have 'I do' in it
In the rhymney valley ' I do go' - meaning I go or I went or regularly..... is widely used

as is " I do do" .... whatever activity follows means "I go to or I partake in ( in the strictest sense of the word anyway
so you get things like " On thursday I do go to the bingo"
Or I do do go up the chippy on friday ( meaning I went or I will to the chippy on friday)

Hearing people say " I do do" is like hearing a stutter to someone from outside the area

I do talk like that I do but I'm from Tredegar and we do all talk proper tidy round here we do.

According to Wiki it's from Welsh grammar.

im from the valley (torfaen) used 2 b called gwent by the way so if anyone could inform me on what my accent sounds like i would be very grateful.:D

welsh_beauty said:
im from the valley (torfaen) used 2 b called gwent by the way so if anyone could inform me on what my accent sounds like i would be very grateful.:D
:) that'll be like my accent then,,, i still put gwent on letters i send home,, infact i put,,,

street name
torfaen,
Gwent,
S.wales

just incase like,,

Back
Top Bottom