Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The U.K. Gig Economy

Amazon started giving us updates via a loud speaker/tannoy as we load our vans for a while now. I think the Amazon bloke thinks he’s being funny as he starts with ‘Welcome to Amazon’ and ends with ‘Thank you for choosing Amazon’.

The updates are mainly shit like the weather forecast for the day, procedure reminders etc but one thing that caught my attention today was the mention of Thursdays parcel volume forecast to be 100,000! To put that in perspective, about a year and a half ago (not Prime Day) the depot would do around 35k parcels per day.

On the work WhatsApp group we’ve had a message off two gaffers - good cop/bad cop.

Good cop thanking us for our hard work and necessity to keep it up especially over Prime Day volume as we are now the largest driver agency at the depot and need to lead to maintain and increase the amounts of routes Amazon allocate to us etc.

Bad cop - if anyone doesn’t turn in for work during Prime, don’t bother coming back.

620DC4FE-F2EF-43FB-89C0-A5AE649921C5.jpeg

Lovely Prime day route. We can’t deliver to neighbours again which adds to the fun.

So last week our group of drivers accumulated 80 concessions (black marks awarded by Amazon for breaching delivery process.

We usually only receive 10 concessions per week but during Prime Day (which runs a full week for deliveries) Amazon decided it would be fine and dandy to ram unprecedented volumes of parcels for drivers to deliver, during Covid, where we can’t leave parcels with neighbours - and expect drivers to reattempt to customers not home at first delivery attempt.

The result was massive returns and drivers leaving parcels all over the place rather than be on the road for 12hrs despite being paid for 9.

Delivered a parcel to an old woman last week - she said she was sick to her back teeth of these Amazon parcels coming to her as she doesn’t have an account with them and the name on the parcels aren’t known to her (same unknown name every time). This was the 11th time this has happened she informs.

So, I write a note on the address label explaining the situation and return it to mobile debrief who will take it back to Amazon depot - and with my note on address label I know Amazon will have to take note/action to stop this/investigate wtf is going on with it - and stop this old woman from having to deal with it all.

There are days off the following day so I call office to request one (can’t be arsed that day to work as it’s pissing down) to be told that Amazon bloke went ballistic that Id wrote on the address label and demanded one of our office team call me immediately so he could no doubt blast me in person. Luckily I had my phone on silent as I travelled back from previous days route so missed raging Amazon bloke.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Amazon didn’t just print a new address label and send parcel back out for delivery again - I’ve seen this happen before.

Delivered a parcel to an old woman last week - she said she was sick to her back teeth of these Amazon parcels coming to her as she doesn’t have an account with them and the name on the parcels aren’t known to her (same unknown name every time). This was the 11th time this has happened she informs.

So, I write a note on the address label explaining the situation and return it to mobile debrief who will take it back to Amazon depot - and with my note on address label I know Amazon will have to take note/action to stop this/investigate wtf is going on with it - and stop this old woman from having to deal with it all.

There are days off the following day so I call office to request one (can’t be arsed that day to work as it’s pissing down) to be told that Amazon bloke went ballistic that Id wrote on the address label and demanded one of our office team call me immediately so he could no doubt blast me in person. Luckily I had my phone on silent as I travelled back from previous days route so missed raging Amazon bloke.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Amazon didn’t just print a new address label and send parcel back out for delivery again - I’ve seen this happen before.
I know there is some sort of scam where random packages get sent to random people who didn't order them - something to do with being able to leave fake reviews? - but it seems odd that they'd use the same person each time....

I know there is some sort of scam where random packages get sent to random people who didn't order them - something to do with being able to leave fake reviews? - but it seems odd that they'd use the same person each time....

May well be something to do with that. I’ve heard that it’s difficult to sell a product on Amazon Marketplace even with pay-per-click ads without good reviews.

Nonetheless - Amazon shouldn’t have let this continue to such a rate.

No work today - we have 10 drivers in total who have no work today due to Amazon wankers enforcing delivery service provider firms have a set amount of drivers in anticipation for Xmas peak which is far too high to provide work for everyone now.

Amazon have reduced routes from 9hrs to 8 to spread out the work/create more routes but they’ve recruited new drivers far too early.

Their ‘8hr’ routes are more like 9hr routes in reality and when Xmas peak does land the 9hr routes will be more like 10+ and they’ll expect everyone to work 6 days per week. Come Jan it will be dead where there will be a cull of newer drivers followed by a 3-4 day working week for those left.

So work called me around midday asking if I wanted to do a 6hr route, only 74 drops - 79 parcels, start at 2pm and pay wasn’t too far away from a full route payment so I jumped at it. Finished at 8pm and got home around half an hour ago :)

And no fucking work today ffs :mad:

I have managed to get a 3.5 hr Flex route (separate from Amazon Logistics DSP) later today, which is at least some income.

So one of our drivers has been covering for the Amazon depot in Carlisle.

He reckons the routes are small and easy and only take about 4hrs to complete and a higher rate of pay :hmm:

Only downside is the travelling there and back.

Last week group text: we’ve got loads of routes all 7hrs but paid as 8hrs, need drivers to be flexible to work up to 6 days a week etc, etc.

Today: you are spare - would you like the day off?

:facepalm:

This is really interesting. I used to deliver parcels but 14 was the average over a large area. How on earth do you manage 200 odd? Are the drops really close together?

This is really interesting. I used to deliver parcels but 14 was the average over a large area. How on earth do you manage 200 odd? Are the drops really close together?

Yes, usually only 1 min drive or less between drops. Often you will get clusters of drops then an 8-10min drive to next cluster of drops.

So we were told that starting from last Sunday the routes would be dropped to 7hrs but paid as if they were 8hrs to provide work for the small army of drivers Amazon have enforced all the delivery firms to recruit ready for Xmas peak.

Only they haven’t and routes today have all been 9hrs, including routes sent out in the afternoon, leading to loads of drivers, including me, with no work.

Why tell drivers there will be plenty of 7hr routes then go back on it? (Because Amazon are greedy fucking scum taking advantage of ‘key worker’ drivers during a pandemic that they are making an absolute fortune out of :mad:).

No work today then called and told to fly down as they had found a route for me.

Turned out to be a very easy route so that was good.

Just had this come through on works WhatsApp:

C9E3CFEB-02A3-4046-9860-85C3FC679383.jpeg

Fks sake, we’ve (Amazon) already had two drivers threatened with knives recently - both occasions drivers got away unharmed thankfully, but there are certain parts of Teeside that are wild.

So I only worked half a route last week and have been off since with a bad back - I start work later today.

But got a work text earlier saying I got a concession (black mark awarded against me) for the half route - these are awarded if customer complains or claims they didn’t receive parcel etc - these can happen occasionally to anyone as Amazon throw concessions around like confetti - one driver got 5 concessions once after the customer didn’t like the quality of wallpaper they ordered for example.

Anyway - Amazon used to give you a full break down of the hows and why’s a concession was awarded for drivers reference - but now they’ve stopped that and you just get told you’ve got a concession and that’s it.

So essentially Amazon could just make these concessions up without being challenged - what a bunch of cunts.

Could it all be coming to an end. Share prices of these companies have collapsed..

After using Just Eat/Deliveroo a bit during lockdown, I can't be arsed with them any more.

View attachment 327439

View attachment 327440
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Most food just doesn't travel that well even if it was good to start. It normally takes ages. Unless I'm totally wiped I'd rather spend similar money going out or just cook. I don't get why these services are as popular as they are. Many really aren't cheap!

Most food just doesn't travel that well even if it was good to start. It normally takes ages. Unless I'm totally wiped I'd rather spend similar money going out or just cook. I don't get why these services are as popular as they are. Many really aren't cheap!
They're just shit services too. It's turned into a gamble if the food is even going to turn up, whether you're going to have to help the driver navigate, and I think we've all watched one of them sneeze or cough and immediately go back to handling food at some point. They don't care because why should they?

Back
Top Bottom