Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Star & Garter (Bristol)

Always looks a bit shut down when I walk past. Why?

No big reason. It's just that a friend from out of town asked me about it (-he's thinking of going to see a DJ or a gig there soon, I think).

I've realised I've not been there in a couple of years and really don't know what it's like these days. (-I wouldn't want to send him there if it's turned a bit rubbish or whatever!)

:)

I've never thought it was any good.

Well, the last time I left there, it rapidly turned into probably the worst night of my life! :D :oops:

-Not that this place necessarily had anything to do with it of course, but (-maybe irrationally), the memory still leaves me rather wary. :hmm:

-Oooh, cryptic me... :D

Not to worry though; as I said, this thread was more for a friend's benefit than for mine. :)

I used to practicaly live there! Now I remembered what I was gonna do on the way to work! I was gonna pass by there and take a look,I will do that on the way home and report back.:)

I used to drink there occasionly a few years back. Mainly at lockin time. Ken used to ask me to leave quite often, cos he thought me being a blind guy, was gonna cause some kind of catastrophy and lose him his licence. Twat. I usually just sat in the corner quietly drinking Red Stripe.

I fucking love this place. Some photos:

bristol-star-and-garter-02.jpg

bristol-star-and-garter-08.jpg

bristol-star-and-garter-11.jpg

bristol-star-and-garter-13.jpg

bristol-star-and-garter-20.jpg

A night of reggae at the Star & Garter, St Pauls, Bristol – in photos

I haven't been to the Star for about five years. Always had a good time when I did, despite the occasional being asked to leave. Which I never did. Sorry I called you a Twatt, above.

RIP Ken.

Oh no. He was such a lovely bloke. I guess that will mark the end of the pub :(
I don't think it will mark the end of the pub. I started going to the Star and Garter in the 80's when it was run by a different landlord - who disappeared after allegations. Then dutty ken took it over....
It's been such an institution for so long - I think it will survive:)

I don't think it will mark the end of the pub. I started going to the Star and Garter in the 80's when it was run by a different landlord - who disappeared after allegations. Then dutty ken took it over....
It's been such an institution for so long - I think it will survive:)
I really hope so because it's such a brilliant pub.

:( RIP Ken

I'm not much of a pub person but the S&G has been the venue of a few raucous nights

Also ken has 4 children and his daughters would often be there running the pub alongside him, so you never know.
His funeral will be epic!!!

R.I.P. to The Man, he wasbnlt there when I went, but then I've only ever been there once :( and :oops:

Could have done with more beer choice :oops: but other peoples' positive reports tell me how good The S & G was ....

Back
Top Bottom