Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Standard trumpets 'fashionable' Brixton as the 'new Clerkenwell'

editor

hiraethified
A depressing read as you're likely to get today unless you're rich, a property developer or a landlord. And yes, of course it mentions the riots. :facepalm:

“The changes have been astonishing since I moved here in 2008,” says Gemma Shah, a public relations manager who works in Marylebone. “Back then there was only Franco Manca pizza parlour and Rosie’s Café in what’s now the ‘village’, and probably two decent spots for a night out.
Silly Gemma clearly doesn't know the area because in 2008, there were many, many places in Brixton for a 'decent night out.'

All eyes on Brixton: one of London's fastest-changing districts and a hotspot for new homes

I dunno, for a property-pushing puff piece in the substandard it seemed to me to include an unusual amount of subversive detail (foxtons hate, concern over gentrification etc.) The people interviewed were/are obviously idiots and just waving away these worries ("one can be confident the charm won't be lost" etc. )

2 decent spots for a night out? says it all.

id say in 2008 there were more spots for a decent night out than there are now. I wonder where Gemma goes for a good night out?
Champagne & Fromage followed by a jolly good cocktail or two at the Shrub & Shutter, of course!

Funnily enough, I'm currently working on a piece based on my 2001 pub/club review of Brixton and we've lost shitloads of venues and bars.

Clerkenwell is hardly somewhere for Brixton to aspire to.

But as I read the article, I thought: "full of expensive property that no-one can afford, old clubs & bars closed down for luxury flats and convenience chain stores, and a tube station with constant building work…..yes, yes, Brixton actually IS the new Clerkenwell." :D

Back
Top Bottom