Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The River Thames - photos and stories

River-Thames-seal-populat-008.jpg

Seal population on the rise in Thames estuary
Numbers returning to natural level after centuries of culling for meat and fur, survey finds

Have always wondered why the shoes by Battersea Square, they have been there a long time and no one seems to know how or when they started
( I used to work with wrinklies right there ).

148782_167954026567560_6810871_n.jpg

hampton court bridge

72449_167954269900869_2614183_n.jpg

149864_167954526567510_1520912_n.jpg

D'Oyly island owned by Richard D'Oyly Carte...he was the theatrical impresario who brought Gilbert and Sullivan together and produced their 13 operas.He also built the Savoy theatre to stage them and the Savoy Hotel.

He was born in 1844 and died in 1901.He may have started from humble beginnings but his entrepreneurial va va voom led him to buy this island and build this house.It is reached by the arched steel bridge..carefully locked.

You can imagine the debauchery and sodden opiate filled nights spent here.The ideal party house.
He had another London house in the Adelphi and was the first person to install a lift in his house.He also employed the artist Whistler to paint his walls.He was famous for a macabre sense of humour and theatre and kept a crocodile on this island....I love this house.

148782_167954026567560_6810871_n.jpg

hampton court bridge

72449_167954269900869_2614183_n.jpg

149864_167954526567510_1520912_n.jpg

D'Oyly island owned by Richard D'Oyly Carte...he was the theatrical impresario who brought Gilbert and Sullivan together and produced their 13 operas.He also built the Savoy theatre to stage them and the Savoy Hotel.

He was born in 1844 and died in 1901.He may have started from humble beginnings but his entrepreneurial va va voom led him to buy this island and build this house.It is reached by the arched steel bridge..carefully locked.

You can imagine the debauchery and sodden opiate filled nights spent here.The ideal party house.
He had another London house in the Adelphi and was the first person to install a lift in his house.He also employed the artist Whistler to paint his walls.He was famous for a macabre sense of humour and theatre and kept a crocodile on this island....I love this house.

D'oyly island was recently on the market for £4m.

Mate of mine lives on it, (not in the house), but his boat is moored there, he's getting his marching orders soon.

The island was originally bought by him to make an out of London version of the Savoy, but he couldn't get a booze licence, so it became his private house.

edit, and that topiary, 1/2 way from Hampton Court to Walton is :cool:

D'oyly island was recently on the market for £4m.

Mate of mine lives on it, (not in the house), but his boat is moored there, he's getting his marching orders soon.

The island was originally bought by him to make an out of London version of the Savoy, but he couldn't get a booze licence, so it became his private house.

edit, and that topiary, 1/2 way from Hampton Court to Walton is :cool:
ooh I have friend envy - what a bloody great place to live, didn't realise others lived on the island - just looked it up on the Right Move site , it's under offer :thumbs:. Did your friend have to access the island via that arched bridge or is there another way? The photos inside are a pleasure to see - would have lost the blue carpet on the stairs though. the view from the verandah is gorgeous.
I don't recall the Dave Gilmour studio - am sure I would have clicked it if i had ...will have a gander at my photos from that day.

Jim gets on to the island via the bridge, he has a key. As you face the bridge from the towpath, turn 180 degrees and that's the car park for the house too. The woman who lives in the house, and is selling, is quite nice and we've been inside, (I've been fascinated by the place since I was in my teens). When it came up for sale over a year ago I so badly wanted to win the lottery you've no idea :oops:

But it seems the new owners will want the place to themselves, fair enough, but all the boat dwellers will have to go. At the moment the island generates about £80k per year in mooring fees, but I guess if you've got the dosh to buy the place you probably can manage without the £80k.

ooh I have friend envy - what a bloody great place to live, didn't realise others lived on the island - just looked it up on the Right Move site , it's under offer :thumbs:. Did your friend have to access the island via that arched bridge or is there another way? The photos inside are a pleasure to see - would have lost the blue carpet on the stairs though. the view from the verandah is gorgeous.
I don't recall the Dave Gilmour studio - am sure I would have clicked it if i had ...will have a gander at my photos from that day.
Just had a look at the photos. The Ballroom is stunning. £4 Million seems pretty cheap these days considering it has 13 bedrooms. I am going to buy a euromillions & cross me fingers.

Just had a look at the photos. The Ballroom is stunning. £4 Million seems pretty cheap these days considering it has 13 bedrooms. I am going to buy a euromillions & cross me fingers.

Plus it's a very private couple of acres of Weybridge, a town where 4 million gets you generally not very much at all.

Back
Top Bottom