Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The River Thames - photos and stories

This is Abingdon early one morning - a market town on the Thames. It's another shot from a phone

IMAG0492_zps3463f214.jpg

One more - Port Meadow. On this stretch of river Charles Dodson took Alice and Olive on boat trips. They'd go to the Church at Binsey where they'd find a treacle well.

This spot is a five minute bike ride from the centre of Oxford. Horses and cows graze on the meadow. It's never been ploughed (I've no idea how that fact is known - but it's a known fact.).

IMAG0480_zpsbaa7a891.jpg

Yesterday went for a bike trip along the Thames path, heading west out of Kingston... took it pretty easy, 3 pub stops, but ended up going as far as Windsor (20 miles or so) - there were a couple of stretches that we had to go on the road/pavement but on the whole there were paths all the way, and it wasn't at all a pain with other people in the way - plenty of room for all. Pituresque views the whole way, really recommend it as a cheap day out - cheap apart from the train fair back from Windsor :mad:

Yesterday went for a bike trip along the Thames path, heading west out of Kingston... took it pretty easy, 3 pub stops, but ended up going as far as Windsor (20 miles or so) - there were a couple of stretches that we had to go on the road/pavement but on the whole there were paths all the way, and it wasn't at all a pain with other people in the way - plenty of room for all. Pituresque views the whole way, really recommend it as a cheap day out - cheap apart from the train fair back from Windsor :mad:
I went the other way on Friday. We started at Dartford and cycled along the Darenth up to the Thames and then along the river. We finished at Rotherhithe. Lots of open spaces and industry, not as picturesque as yours, but very enjoyable still. We noticed the tide was very high, but hadn't realised how high until we stopped for a drink at the Mayflower.

14945883155_2d9ca737c3_n.jpg

My daughter was born in St Thomas' too and that was exactly the view we had and what a wonderful setting for such a wonderful experience (maybe not the case for her mum, granted).

Oh, I've got a great sunset from St Thomas's

Back
Top Bottom