Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The return of an MP for Brixton

Wouldnt have thought that Herne Hill wouldnt be that happy lumped in with Brixton. What is Thurlow Park like? Is it more upmarket than Herne Hill?
There's a map here: http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/8072E5E6-3478-41B7-B7C7-E8B103953F6C/0/ThurlowParkWardMap.pdf (which also shows Croxted Road is in two boroughs - that must make rubbish collection, etc, unnecessarily difficult).

Thurlow Park includes a large chunk of Tulse Hill, so it's not quite all yummy mummies, etc, but most of it is relatively wide and expensive terraced streets - quite similar to Herne Hill east of the railway line.

The new Brixton constituency has survived unscathed in the Boundary Commission's long awaited revised proposals. (A more sensible Clapham & Streatham gets created south and west - which I assume Chuka Umunna has to go for? -while Stockwell goes into a rejigged Battersea & Vauxhall seat)

Whether this actually happens any time in the next decade is now down to political horse-trading, following the Tories' abandoning Lords reform.

I would of thought Chuka would like Brixton?

This new border makes Brixton more central to the constituency.

I would of thought Chuka would like Brixton?

This new border makes Brixton more central to the constituency.

He's a Streatham boy so would want to stick to that I should think. The problem before was the overlap with Sadiq Khan in Tooting, which might have made him go for Brixton.

It seems that (if the Government survives long enough to approve them) under the latest revised Boundary Commission for England plans, Brixton will remain divided - albeit it will only be split between two MPs' patches rather than the current three.
Brixton split.PNG
Brixton does at least get recognised in the name of both proposed constituencies: "Brixton and Vauxhall" and "Streatham and Brixton South"
For consistency, surely the former ought to be "Vauxhall and Brixton North"???

Back
Top Bottom