Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The new WhatsApp terms and conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItWillNeverWork

Messy Crimbobs, fellow humans.
So I just got a message from WhatsApp saying I need to accept their new terms and conditions. Apparently WhatsApp will eventually stop functioning if I we don’t agree to the terms.

I had a quick look at their contract (I have absolutely no legal knowledge or expertise whatsoever) and whilst it’s comforting to know that there is end-to-end encryption, another part of their contract seems to contradict this in what seems (to me at least) quite worrying.

Your License to WhatsApp. In order to operate and provide our Services, you grant WhatsApp a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, create derivative works of, display, and perform the information (including the content) that you upload, submit, store, send, or receive on or through our Services.

Just what information am I going to be licensing to them if all the info is apparently encrypted? Also, I’m not sure I want them to have such broad rights to do what they want with my data.

Has anyone else come across this, or have any thoughts on it? Is this a new part of their terms and conditions or has it always been there?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom