Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The new GWR Hitachi trains - my verdict

BB1 is at uni in Plymouth, so she's been on these a lot, I pay for her tickets, I have also used them a fair bit to visit her, am now a dab-hand at the delay-repay, last week she came up for the weekend, return train stopped at Newton Abbot for 90 mins for flooded track, 100% back in my pocket :thumbs:

Particularly good one last year I was booked on the 1931 from Reading to Plymouth, all trains fucked up, the 1831 arrives at 1930, I have fixed ticket but get on anyway, no one even checks tickets all the way down, but the next morning checked the historical arrivals times, saw the 1931 was well late, 100% refund in spite of actually arriving on time. Take a win where you can.

Whilst we're having a grumble, booked my next trip and it will be the 1931 from Reading again, has the Pullman Dining on it, but the cost is now through the roof. 2 courses £33.50, if you want the tiny 5oz steak, that's a supplement of 'just' £15. tbf the wine is decent value, £15 for a bottle of Rioja, so £63.50, a pricey treat.

BB1 is at uni in Plymouth, so she's been on these a lot, I pay for her tickets, I have also used them a fair bit to visit her, am now a dab-hand at the delay-repay, last week she came up for the weekend, return train stopped at Newton Abbot for 90 mins for flooded track, 100% back in my pocket :thumbs:

Particularly good one last year I was booked on the 1931 from Reading to Plymouth, all trains fucked up, the 1831 arrives at 1930, I have fixed ticket but get on anyway, no one even checks tickets all the way down, but the next morning checked the historical arrivals times, saw the 1931 was well late, 100% refund in spite of actually arriving on time. Take a win where you can.
With fraud like that, it's no wonder ticket prices are going up.

With fraud like that, it's no wonder ticket prices are going up.

How is it fraud, her train was over 90 minutes late arriving in Plymouth, causing her to miss a long planned for event? Would have thought that you of all people would have had sympathy for those who's important plans get thrown in to jeopardy by train delays.

How is it fraud, her train was over 90 minutes late arriving in Plymouth, causing her to miss a long planned for event? Would have thought that you of all people would have had sympathy for those who's important plans get thrown in to jeopardy by train delays.
"100% refund in spite of actually arriving on time. Take a win where you can."

:weed: :weed: :weed:

Just received a complimentary coffee. On way back from Penzance to London had to wait 4 hours into trip before the hot water was working.. :facepalm:

Anyway, very nice of them...

But I still can't wait for this franchise to end. 2028.

Got stranded in Falmouth for hours last week. GWR were cancelling trains left and right because 'a larger than expected number of trains needed maintenance at the same time' which, considering all the long distance trains from Exeter to Penzance are these bullshit Hitachi ones now, suggests that they're getting a lot of breakdowns on rolling stock that's not yet ten years old.

First time in history I got delay repay money though. Refunded the entire return ticket.

e2a: The split-format 5+5 trains are a real pain in the arse on the Cornwall stretch as there are multiple stations where the platforms aren't long enough for them and you have to move carriages to get off. This is often complicated by the fact the carriage layout is A - B - C - D - E - J - I - H - G - F or similar nonsense.

Got stranded in Falmouth for hours last week. GWR were cancelling trains left and right because 'a larger than expected number of trains needed maintenance at the same time' which, considering all the long distance trains from Exeter to Penzance are these bullshit Hitachi ones now, suggests that they're getting a lot of breakdowns on rolling stock that's not yet ten years old.

First time in history I got delay repay money though. Refunded the entire return ticket.

e2a: The split-format 5+5 trains are a real pain in the arse on the Cornwall stretch as there are multiple stations where the platforms aren't long enough for them and you have to move carriages to get off. This is often complicated by the fact the carriage layout is A - B - C - D - E - J - I - H - G - F or similar nonsense.
Yeah, the split-in-two train thing is a complete PITA, even without short platforms, and as you say the numbering never seems to be quite consistent.

Back
Top Bottom