Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

I haven't registered for a domain name for mine.

And, I just checked, I've had it since the end of 2019.

I sure as hell haven't done what the chap in your video recommends. I use it occasionally for trying new features that haven't yet hit our work tenancy, and tinkering with admin features to make sure I don't fuck something up the the real world.

That's useful to know then :)

That looks impressive, but it is Freeview. It is Freesat that I need.
Apologies - this seems to be the Freesat equivalent:

The 1TB version gets the same score of 4.4 at Richer Sounds

Had a completely wtf moment yesterday, but I might be behind the times.

Recorded some audio - a conversation about care packages - using the Recorder app on my Android phone. Clicked save and went to put in a filename, but found it had already named itself "Carers - Thurs 13 April."

WTF? Is this a new thing?

Haven't yet managed to find anything that says how it did it, but I'm thinking maybe it matched the most common soundwave pattern to a list of lowish-frequency nouns?

Had a completely wtf moment yesterday, but I might be behind the times.

Recorded some audio - a conversation about care packages - using the Recorder app on my Android phone. Clicked save and went to put in a filename, but found it had already named itself "Carers - Thurs 13 April."

WTF? Is this a new thing?

Haven't yet managed to find anything that says how it did it, but I'm thinking maybe it matched the most common soundwave pattern to a list of lowish-frequency nouns?
Yes, the Google Recorder app does that and can transcribe the recording for you too if you're phone's new enough. Good innit. Your recordings are saved/synced at recorder.google.com

Yes, the Google Recorder app does that and can transcribe the recording for you too if you're phone's new enough. Good innit. Your recordings are saved/synced at recorder.google.com
Potentially very useful. Somewhat creepy, too. As with all of this stuff, I'm dead excited by the tech and also fearful of its applications.

Does it do it how I speculated, do you know?

Potentially very useful. Somewhat creepy, too. As with all of this stuff, I'm dead excited by the tech and also fearful of its applications.

Does it do it how I speculated, do you know?
It latches onto keywords I believe, so it may count them and use the most frequent as a title? I hope it isn't clever enough to discern context, because that's weird.

After a frustrating 30 mins with VLC and our hopeless IT outsource our IT trainer showed me how to record ones desktop using PowerPoint. New one on me

Quick question on secure wiping SSDs? Normally I'd say just dispose of them, but I've got a client who is a social enterprise and they want to retire some laptops and repurpose them, possibly give them to staff.

My first thought was just to DBAN the PCs, but apparently that doesn't work on SSDs. If enable full disk encryption using Bit Locker and then wipe them in Windows so the key is lost, is that good enough, assuming they are to old to have proper TPM.

Failing that I've read there is a clean all function is diskpart which could work? Or does anyone have any free utilities that can be booted from USB which would do the same thing?

Quick question on secure wiping SSDs? Normally I'd say just dispose of them, but I've got a client who is a social enterprise and they want to retire some laptops and repurpose them, possibly give them to staff.

My first thought was just to DBAN the PCs, but apparently that doesn't work on SSDs. If enable full disk encryption using Bit Locker and then wipe them in Windows so the key is lost, is that good enough, assuming they are to old to have proper TPM.

Failing that I've read there is a clean all function is diskpart which could work? Or does anyone have any free utilities that can be booted from USB which would do the same thing?
Usually the manufacturer (if it's one of the major ones) offers a utility to secure wipe them. This will shorten the lifespan of the drive - SSD cells are only rated for so many R/W cycles.

The diskpart method works in that it's very difficult to recover data that's had that done to, but it's not impossible. You have to make a judgement call on how good is good enough. I would say that unless you're in finance, insurance, or national defense, it's probably good enough.

There are plenty of options if you boot Linux off a USB stick, but then we're getting into the question of just how much effort you're willing to put in.

Quick question on secure wiping SSDs?
Use a suitably strong encrypted filesystem and keep the relevant keys on a physically separate device. Then, at end of production life, use the manufacturer's secure erase feature from BIOS/UEFI. This approach also covers you for hardware failure that precludes operation of the hardware's secure erase feature. Failing that, contract an appropriately certified disposal service provider to crush and grind it to dust.

Usually the manufacturer (if it's one of the major ones) offers a utility to secure wipe them. This will shorten the lifespan of the drive - SSD cells are only rated for so many R/W cycles.

The diskpart method works in that it's very difficult to recover data that's had that done to, but it's not impossible. You have to make a judgement call on how good is good enough. I would say that unless you're in finance, insurance, or national defense, it's probably good enough.

There are plenty of options if you boot Linux off a USB stick, but then we're getting into the question of just how much effort you're willing to put in.

I should have mentioned I'd thought about the manufacturers utility, but it's a mix of brands, I'd rather have one process as I'm going to show one of their staff how to do it.

Diskpart seems to be winning then.

Use a suitably strong encrypted filesystem and keep the relevant keys on a physically separate device. Then, at end of production life, use the manufacturer's secure erase feature from BIOS/UEFI. This approach also covers you for hardware failure that precludes operation of the hardware's secure erase feature. Failing that, contract an appropriately certified disposal service provider to crush and grind it to dust.

Ta. I must get a phone call every few weeks from one of these companies offering to take our old kit away, but I'm trying to keep these ones useable.

Trying to get to grips with Graph, it’s not easy for me.

Spent this morning hacking a powershell script to check room mailboxes and give a summary of activity to do that for specific named User mailboxes instead. (Because we don’t use room mailboxes for the video conference camera kit…).

Relatively simple once I knew where to cut and how to insert the array but had to change a few of the column variables to point to right thing.

Yesterday morning I did a 90 min round trip to turn a modem off and on again. I've at least taken photos so if it happens again I send them directions on how to do.

In the afternoon I did an hours journey because I had a complaint that the Wi-Fi adapter was disabled and his admin credentials weren't working. Nothing was odd in device manager, it just wasn't picking up any networks. So I turned it off and on again.

It's depressing how often this works.

Yesterday morning I did a 90 min round trip to turn a modem off and on again. I've at least taken photos so if it happens again I send them directions on how to do.

In the afternoon I did an hours journey because I had a complaint that the Wi-Fi adapter was disabled and his admin credentials weren't working. Nothing was odd in device manager, it just wasn't picking up any networks. So I turned it off and on again.

It's depressing how often this works.
Should have updated the drivers while you were there. That fixes 50% of all WiFi issues that are affecting a single client.

I'm what way? I'd recommend paying someone to come in and sort it because the meraki support seemingly don't care.

Constant loss of SSIDs, dns and dhcp fuck ups. Other stuff. Mostly going between APs

It’s a mess and yeah we are thinking of getting someone in. Project supposed to br done by March

One random thing I spotted is that if the iPhone has Private IP address's in options it doesn’t work sometimes just sticks on negotiating a connection.

Constant loss of SSIDs, dns and dhcp fuck ups. Other stuff. Mostly going between APs

It’s a mess and yeah we are thinking of getting someone in. Project supposed to br done by March

One random thing I spotted is that if the iPhone has Private IP address's in options it doesn’t work sometimes just sticks on negotiating a connection.
You don't work at a large museum in London do you? Sounds similar to some problems one of my colleagues is looking into.

What language are linux files written in? For example in /etc/apt the file sources.list starts off:

#deb cdrom:[Linux Mint 20.2 Uma - Release amd64 20210703]/ focal contrib main
# This system was installed using small removable media

so a comment starts with # and a space
a command seems to start with # without a space

I thought I read somewhere that they were written in C but C comments start with /

ta :)

What language are linux files written in? For example in /etc/apt the file sources.list starts off:

#deb cdrom:[Linux Mint 20.2 Uma - Release amd64 20210703]/ focal contrib main
# This system was installed using small removable media

so a comment starts with # and a space
a command seems to start with # without a space

I thought I read somewhere that they were written in C but C comments start with /

ta :)
That file is just a list, but it's using a fairly common comment convention, that crops up in many languages, including bash, perl, Python, Ruby, et al.

How about this, in one of the printer files?

# Log general information in error_log - change "warn" to "debug"
# for troubleshooting...
LogLevel warn
PageLogFormat

# Specifies the maximum size of the log files before they are rotated. The value "0" disables log rotation.
MaxLogSize 0

# Default error policy for printers
ErrorPolicy retry-job

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen localhost:631
Listen /run/cups/cups.sock

I'm using Bash when using Terminal but these don't seem to be Bash commands. I'd expect them to be since these are just contents of files on my linux system. I'd like to understand a bit of what's going on in there - anywhere recommended that I can study up on it?

Eta: they're bash scripts aren't they? I need to go and study bash.

Last edited:
How about this, in one of the printer files?

I'm using Bash when using Terminal but these don't seem to be Bash commands. I'd expect them to be since these are just contents of files on my linux system. I'd like to understand a bit of what's going on in there - anywhere recommended that I can study up on it?

Eta: they're bash scripts aren't they? I need to go and study bash.
There isn't a Linux "language" as such. A lot of the scripts (take a look in /etc/init.d for example) are vanilla bash scripts; quite a lot of the Ubuntu subsystem is written in Python, and then of course there is the kernel itself, which I believe is now written in a sort of mongrel C/C++.

There is almost certainly some kind of configuration file reader library/utility which would encourage apps to use the same feature to manage their own configs, so in a sense the configuration file format is a "language" itself, but usually one that is read in by an application running as a bash script (or maybe even a python program, although the latter has its own internal capabilities for managing configuration files).

The technical difference is that those config files you are looking at are not executable; bash scripts are executable. There are good reasons why you might not want a configuration file to be capable of being executed (think system security).

Back
Top Bottom