Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

Your machine at boot sends a DHCP request to your router. It gets back not just an IP address, but also what network gateway to use and what DNS to query. I can't tell you what causes it, but occasionally I see things fail such that you end up with a weird IP address and no DNS information. Reboot will cure it every time.

The power plug to one of my monitors is really sensitive and keeps switching off when the display is knocked/moved. I searched for advice and the first one I came across said "change the power lead, they're standard"

:facepalm:

The power plug to one of my monitors is really sensitive and keeps switching off when the display is knocked/moved. I searched for advice and the first one I came across said "change the power lead, they're standard"

:facepalm:

Well most. Some annoying screens like mine have a seperate power adapter.

My Bluetooth headphones have stopped delivering sound.

When you connect them to the PC, a message saying 'connected for voice' is displayed.

Anyone got the slightest clue what is wrong, and how do I fix it?

It's not to busy at work today so I've signed up for the Microsoft Dev Program. You get 25 E5 licenses to play with. It says it only lasts for 3 months, but I've read on Reddit that if you do stuff like link a domain name to it and other tasks it basically won't expire. Registered a domain name for a quid with Go Daddy. I could probably charge that to work, but I'm not sure I can be bothered for £1.

It's nice to have a quite day though. The boss has decided that we're doing mail security more seriously and my head has been hurting learning about DNS records, SPF, DKIM and DMARC and setting it up in Cloudflare and Mimecast. Good learning, but definitely thrown in at the deep end with that one.

It's not to busy at work today so I've signed up for the Microsoft Dev Program. You get 25 E5 licenses to play with. It says it only lasts for 3 months, but I've read on Reddit that if you do stuff like link a domain name to it and other tasks it basically won't expire. Registered a domain name for a quid with Go Daddy. I could probably charge that to work, but I'm not sure I can be bothered for £1.

It's nice to have a quite day though. The boss has decided that we're doing mail security more seriously and my head has been hurting learning about DNS records, SPF, DKIM and DMARC and setting it up in Cloudflare and Mimecast. Good learning, but definitely thrown in at the deep end with that one.

I set mine up well over a year ago. And it’s still going. I hardly touch it. I did what this dude did.

We moved to barracuda a few weeks ago and it's been so painful. Not least because both ms and them are so indifferent to explaining how to solve problems

I set mine up well over a year ago. And it’s still going. I hardly touch it. I did what this dude did.

Good to know. I found the reddit thread so will work through it. Ta. :)

We moved to barracuda a few weeks ago and it's been so painful. Not least because both ms and them are so indifferent to explaining how to solve problems

Dear god. At least Mimecast actually respond to emails. Is barracuda any better? Not that I get any say in the matter of course.

Does anyone use the location feature of MS Authenticator? We decided not to at work as it might worry users when it doesn't show their correct location. However I enabled on my tenant just to amuse myself. I'm in Manchester and it show I'm trying to sign in from the South Coast.

Not as good as free, but a fair selection of half price Microsoft Certs. I've got to do the training material in 30 days and when you've done it you should get a discount exam voucher.

It's all I use apart from a handful of sites that don't work with it if you're ordering something. Was the clunkiness using Windows? :)

I swear to god first line is getting dumber by the day.

Go on? I sometimes wonder what it would have been like to get a job somewhere which had different lines/levels etc. I think I would have taken the first thing offered to me, I even applied to apprenticeship positions.

Today I'm manually checking vSphere against Veeam to make sure all the backup jobs are set up correctly. I did say I wanted to learn more about Veeam, but there are almost 300 VMs. Some are turned off and some don't need to be backed up, but it's going to take me a while.

User reported a couple of folders went missing over night. Passed over to us to “check the integrity of the disk”

Some odd raving about an app we use involving those folders or the data, but no troubleshooting just hoof it right over.

Just need some basic notes - how often has this happened, is this the first time it’s happened? If you think those folders relate to an application have you checked with the team that actually manage the app? Are those folders use or app created?

Yesterday we had some stuff about “has tik tok stolen this users o365 credentials? Or did they just get the password wrong until they deleted tik tok? Can you check now it’s working?”

Can anyone recommend a Freesat box please? It must be able to record.

Last Sky bill made me go WTAF and look for an alternative.

I'll use a quad LNB, two feeds to living room, two feeds to the computer room.

Price not so important.

It's not to busy at work today so I've signed up for the Microsoft Dev Program. You get 25 E5 licenses to play with. It says it only lasts for 3 months, but I've read on Reddit that if you do stuff like link a domain name to it and other tasks it basically won't expire.

I haven't registered for a domain name for mine.

And, I just checked, I've had it since the end of 2019.

I sure as hell haven't done what the chap in your video recommends. I use it occasionally for trying new features that haven't yet hit our work tenancy, and tinkering with admin features to make sure I don't fuck something up the the real world.

On the subject of kit I'm wondering if a KVM that does what I want exists? To connect 3 monitors over DP with keyboard, mouse and headset. Next bit is harder. Graphics card on my desktop has 3 DPs so that's easy. It's the laptop that's trickier, it's just got 1 HDMI and a Thunderbolt/USB C port. And to make it more expensive to run one screen at least 120Hz

Back
Top Bottom