Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

I've gone down a silly rabbit hole. I've got an itch to upgrade my PC, but can't justify a new CPU just yet as it means changing everything (slightly annoyed I didn't go AMD at the time as I could have dropped a 5800 x3D rather then do the lot)

However, I really cheaper out on my case and cooler when I built it, so figure that would be a solid upgrade. The first silly idea is I want an AIO (water cooler). The next even sillier idea is that if it comes with RBG I might as well embrace it and go for a white case with all purple fans. But my motherboard is too cheap to have an RGB controller and I don't really want to buy an expensive dedicated controller to set the fan colour once...
Most of those addressable RGB LEDs are 5v. A 3 quid Arduino clone or ESP32 will sort the RGB stuff for you. You can even add pretty patterns, if that's your thing.

I've gone down a silly rabbit hole. I've got an itch to upgrade my PC, but can't justify a new CPU just yet as it means changing everything (slightly annoyed I didn't go AMD at the time as I could have dropped a 5800 x3D rather then do the lot)

However, I really cheaper out on my case and cooler when I built it, so figure that would be a solid upgrade. The first silly idea is I want an AIO (water cooler). The next even sillier idea is that if it comes with RBG I might as well embrace it and go for a white case with all purple fans. But my motherboard is too cheap to have an RGB controller and I don't really want to buy an expensive dedicated controller to set the fan colour once...
AIO is a lot of faff if the CPU doesn't need it. You can air cool any of the 6-8 core Ryzens well past their maximum power draw. I get the appeal, but you can run a Thermaltake Assassin King for under £20 with an RGB fan.
If you're getting a high end Intel, you pretty much need the AIO for maximum speeds.

AIO is a lot of faff if the CPU doesn't need it. You can air cool any of the 6-8 core Ryzens well past their maximum power draw. I get the appeal, but you can run a Thermaltake Assassin King for under £20 with an RGB fan.
If you're getting a high end Intel, you pretty much need the AIO for maximum speeds.

Oh I know. Is it weird that my partner is away for a week and I thought I might enjoy the faff? :D

I was looking at £40 Phantom Spirit and it's not that much more to get a basic AIO. I've only got a 65W 11600 at the moment, although it does get over 90 when gaming.

Not sure what my next CPU will be but probably an 8 Ryzen, but that's at least a year away. By spending the money now it won't feel like it eating into what ever budget I set myself at the time

Oh I know. Is it weird that my partner is away for a week and I thought I might enjoy the faff? :D

I was looking at £40 Phantom Spirit and it's not that much more to get a basic AIO. I've only got a 65W 11600 at the moment, although it does get over 90 when gaming.

Not sure what my next CPU will be but probably an 8 Ryzen, but that's at least a year away. By spending the money now it won't feel like it eating into what ever budget I set myself at the time
It's mainly about costs for me. The cheaper Thermaltakes are good for 235W, and that covers most (if not all) AMD CPUs and most of Intel's lineup. AIO isn't particularly more quiet at load, and at idle I can't hear either solution.

I just went to swap out my batteries on a Logitech mouse and accidentally put only one in (standard AA rechargable). To my surprise, the mouse still works! It's just even lighter, now.

Handy if you want to recharge as you can do one at a time :cool:

Going back to OneDrive. What pisses me off is that your documents folder is by default under OneDrive. When you go to save anything, the default locations are all under OD. When I was trying to copy a load of stuff from my server to this laptop when new, I kept getting told I was out of space because I wasn't signed up to OD and it was more than the free space they give you...

I signed up for an Office account now anyway as I wanted Word and Excell.

What happens if I stop paying though?

If say I have 200gb in my docs folder under OD and the free space is 10gb or whatever it is, does it just sync the first 10gb to the cloud and ignore the rest?

Surely it doesn't delete the excess 190gb from my local system even if it does in the cloud? That would be a bit... Ransome wary.

It's mainly about costs for me. The cheaper Thermaltakes are good for 235W, and that covers most (if not all) AMD CPUs and most of Intel's lineup. AIO isn't particularly more quiet at load, and at idle I can't hear either solution.

Tbh it's only the idle that matters to me. When I gaming I've got head phones, but my goodness when I take them of it some noise.

This is why I went for water again. I've had a Noctua air cooler for the past 10 years, but I can't stand any noise now. The EK AIO I got is pretty much silent.
Having played with a friend's system... I don't find that 3x1200rpm fans are particularly quieter than 1x1800rpm fan at full blow. It's a different sound, but if you look at the reviews the difference between a good air cooler and a basic AIO is 1-2 dB. You can get the top-end AIOs, but I don't want to pay more for the cooler than I did for the CPU. I'm also wearing headphones while gaming, so it's largely irrelevant as both are silent to my ears at idle and at full blow the GPU fans are screaming anyhow. (You could always AIO the GPU too, but that's a larger project than I'm comfortable with and quite warranty-voiding)

I don't want to say "don't do it", but for a majority of people I think AIOs are an aesthetic choice rather than a performance one. Unless you've got an Intel i9 or something that really needs it.

Eg: Here you can see the Peerless Assassin being quieter at load than any of the AIOs they tested it against. The AIOs were quieter only at rest, but I can't hear my fans at rest anyhow.

Last edited:
Having played with a friend's system... I don't find that 3x1200rpm fans are particularly quieter than 1x1800rpm fan at full blow. It's a different sound, but if you look at the reviews the difference between a good air cooler and a basic AIO is 1-2 dB. You can get the top-end AIOs, but I don't want to pay more for the cooler than I did for the CPU. I'm also wearing headphones while gaming, so it's largely irrelevant as both are silent to my ears at idle and at full blow the GPU fans are screaming anyhow. (You could always AIO the GPU too, but that's a larger project than I'm comfortable with and quite warranty-voiding)

I don't want to say "don't do it", but for a majority of people I think AIOs are an aesthetic choice rather than a performance one. Unless you've got an Intel i9 or something that really needs it.

Eg: Here you can see the Peerless Assassin being quieter at load than any of the AIOs they tested it against. The AIOs were quieter only at rest, but I can't hear my fans at rest anyhow.

Oh it's totally an aesthetic choice and I want to play with something I've not used before. I like the idea of clear looking case rather then it filled with a huge cooler.

The Thermaltake Aqua Elite 360 was only £6 more the the Peerless Assassin. I've decided on a Lian Li 216 for the case so should have some decent air flow and be more then ready for whatever replaces my current CPU next year.

• Love
Reactions: Chz
In a surprising turns of events, one of the largest public sector framework providers apparently doesn't support edge properly despite saying it does. Suggests Chrome... with Edge being Chromium based anyway, also failed with Firefox. Apparently the only other browser choice I have and that required actually looking for it on the windows store and hoping it was allowed. Chrome itself and apparently Opera when I tried off the store are not allowed.

Every public sector place I've been in defaulted to Edge, most were able to use Chrome tho.. which I am apparently not allowed to use. Well this is going to be a fun time.

In a surprising turns of events, one of the largest public sector framework providers apparently doesn't support edge properly despite saying it does. Suggests Chrome... with Edge being Chromium based anyway, also failed with Firefox. Apparently the only other browser choice I have and that required actually looking for it on the windows store and hoping it was allowed. Chrome itself and apparently Opera when I tried off the store are not allowed.

Every public sector place I've been in defaulted to Edge, most were able to use Chrome tho.. which I am apparently not allowed to use. Well this is going to be a fun time.

So it actively blocks it, even though it should just work? :facepalm:

You could look to make Edge identity as Chrome. A quick Google tells me there are extensions like User Agent Switcher if you're IT let's you use extensions.

'twas ever thus. In the 1990s, MS were trying to break http and smtp, and it doesn't sound like a lot has changed.

So it actively blocks it, even though it should just work? :facepalm:

You could look to make Edge identity as Chrome. A quick Google tells me there are extensions like User Agent Switcher if you're IT let's you use extensions.
It seems with firefox and edge it is supposed to work but to use it anyway requires you to login to a secondary service, which it then instantly forgets you are logged into when you get to the next page.

Chrome and Opera are not available for me to install, there are some extensions for IE but none seem to be of any use and lots of them appear to require a chrome install anyway which is rather weird. Theres also some extremely odd ones listed under get rather then install which seemed to work when installing eg firefox with get but not Opera when it said install. Not trying out random stuff to test IT quite yet especially after it just logged me trying to install software they have disallowed.

Weirdly found the page by googling the code I wanted plus company name, shows it right there! Fine I will just do it the manual route then. Well done integrated systems you have failed me again and now I have this pain in the diodes all down my left side as the pricing document quite inconveniently now doesn't match the one it showed when I found this and confirmed it a week ago. Fairly sure they also aren't supposed to be doing that.

My hub is working fine, so I now have 2 big monitors and that’s great but have just realised I now need a webcam for calls. Am I going to be fine with a £10 Argos one?

My hub is working fine, so I now have 2 big monitors and that’s great but have just realised I now need a webcam for calls. Am I going to be fine with a £10 Argos one?
It'll work. But last time I looked, £25 was about the floor for anything that looked half-decent. But not everyone wants to be visible in HD on their webcam and shit ones certainly have a use case!

It'll work. But last time I looked, £25 was about the floor for anything that looked half-decent. But not everyone wants to be visible in HD on their webcam and shit ones certainly have a use case!
Ok, will have a look about. Can probably manage without one today but need one this weekend. Luckily I use teams as a telephone mostly to video call my direct team and don’t really have any contact with random people.

Back
Top Bottom