Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

[gets on soapbox]

All these stories about people losing files using OneDrive are almost certainly just that: stories.

OneDrive doesn't lose files. People, however, lose/delete files all the time and then love to blame the tech for their mistakes.

OneDrive - in addition to a file's version history - at least has a recycle bin (and then a second-stage recycle bin!) to allow people to recover from accidentally deleted files.

Speaking of stories, here's an example of a scare story.

No. Word doesn't routinely delete files despite the impression the article headline gives.

Word for Microsoft 365 (i.e. the cloud-based version, not desktop Word) version 2409, build 18025.20104 might delete a file if the title* contains a capitalized file extension (.DOCX, .RTF) or #".

If that happened, you can still get the file back from the Recycle Bin.

And, being the cloud-based version, MS gets to fix the bug without you ever needing to install updates, etc.

*not sure if the quoted article actually means title or file name. Obviously file extensions, when created by the relevant app, wouldn't have a capitalised file extension.

[/soapbox]

One Drive not be signed in can cause this. But yes.

Got a new mouse. Steelseries rival 3 wireless..

It's a good mouse but eats batteries. I go though a set in about a month. Anything I can do to fix this?

It's a good mouse but eats batteries. I go though a set in about a month. Anything I can do to fix this?
I've always been resistant to wireless mice and keyboard for exactly this reason. Well, actually, for the reason that it's annoying when the mouse starts getting flakey, and then you have to start searching around for causes, batteries, etc.

Reactions: Chz
My batteries (logi and microsoft keyboards and mice) last a few months.

Solution though: rechargeable batteries with a couple spare where you have your keyboard & mouse.

Eta: what UnderOpenSky said.

That's really not eating batteries. My first wireless mouse used to go through a set a week.
Rechargeable batteries are the answer to most battery issues.

That's really not eating batteries. My first wireless mouse used to go through a set a week.
Rechargeable batteries are the answer to most battery issues.
Or a rechargeable mouse.

I've given up on expensive meeces, they only seem to last as long as the cheap ones. It is always the scroll wheel that gives up the ghost.

Ha. I have to do this so many times a day. Even worse now my server that I use a jump box is protected by it and I've got to do it after 15 mins of inactivey.

But you know what sucks more. Compromised accounts, data breaches and ransom ware.
Yeah - it doesn't seem to stop those though. I do understand the necessity though. But for people my mum's age and older it can really make things inaccessible, especially since you're expected to do so much life admin online

Yeah - it doesn't seem to stop those though. I do understand the necessity though. But for people my mum's age and older it can really make things inaccessible, especially since you're expected to do so much life admin online
It does stop at least some of it. The big problem with any kind of security is that, if it's working, nothing happens. People don't think hard about choosing careful passwords, or 2FA, until they've been caught out, because the effort going into prevention feels like it's futile until something DOES happen.

I've been surprised at how rarely I have to invoke the 2fa which is just as well as it's a pain when I do.

Or a rechargeable mouse.

I've given up on expensive meeces, they only seem to last as long as the cheap ones. It is always the scroll wheel that gives up the ghost.
It's always the buttons one mine. The microswitches only last around 20 million clicks, which only equates to a couple of years if you use your mouse a lot.
I remove the old microswitches and replace them with Omron switches. They're about as good as it gets.

I'm putting together unused hardware to give us an additional screen in the spare room. Much to my surprise, the unused BenQ monitor I was given has speakers and I've still got an old Chromecast from before I got a smart TV.

Maybe aspirational, but I fancy doing some early morning Yoga without disturbing my partner. The monitor has a 3.5mm out so I've been looking at very cheap Bluetooth adapters, first on Amazon and now Aliexpress. Has anyone used one and are they going to be a fucker to pair with headphones?
If you want bluetooth adaptors, I have hundreds of them (Aruba ship them with their new CX range of switches). I can pop a couple in the post if you want. USB-A to BT.

If you want bluetooth adaptors, I have hundreds of them (Aruba ship them with their new CX range of switches). I can pop a couple in the post if you want. USB-A to BT.
I’d guess UOS is after a 3.5mm to Bluetooth audio adapter, rather than a USB BT thing.

No it doesn't, but it does mean if she uses the same password on many sites and one gets breached, then the other sites she uses won't be vulnerable. That said, I've got far more sympathy for her then for people high up in organisations who really should know better when they complain about it.

That's really kind, but this is 3.5mm to Bluetooth to output from a TV/Monitor.

I've ordered a ugreen one from Aliexpress as it was a bit more than the super cheap ones, and I've used some of their kit before. We shall see.

No it doesn't, but it does mean if she uses the same password on many sites and one gets breached, then the other sites she uses won't be vulnerable. That said, I've got far more sympathy for her then for people high up in organisations who really should know better when they complain about it.
I agree.

Right so I have acquired a second external monitor to use at home.

My work laptop has only 1 HDMI port. But I want to connect both external monitors.

I have 2 USB A ports which I use for external keyboard and mouse, a USB C port which I use with a usb c - Ethernet cable to connect into my router as the WiFi can be unstable at times.

So I think I need to get a USB hub which has HDMI to give me the extra connections I need for the second external monitor and to maintain the existing setup. Is that right?

I've gone down a silly rabbit hole. I've got an itch to upgrade my PC, but can't justify a new CPU just yet as it means changing everything (slightly annoyed I didn't go AMD at the time as I could have dropped a 5800 x3D rather then do the lot)

However, I really cheaper out on my case and cooler when I built it, so figure that would be a solid upgrade. The first silly idea is I want an AIO (water cooler). The next even sillier idea is that if it comes with RBG I might as well embrace it and go for a white case with all purple fans. But my motherboard is too cheap to have an RGB controller and I don't really want to buy an expensive dedicated controller to set the fan colour once...

Back
Top Bottom