Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

Anyone noticed this?

I also saw that a Google anti-monopoly type action might screw up a lot of Firefox's financing.

Google felt so geeky when it first started up ... as did Firefox...
I pay them a bit for cloud storage and also to keep my YouTube free of appalling adverts...
Firefox seems to be a bit slow again on my PC so I mostly use google's chrome

Of course my bloody mobile is google now

I'm still not anything like an Apple fanboi...

Google felt so geeky when it first started up ... as did Firefox...
I pay them a bit for cloud storage and also to keep my YouTube free of appalling adverts...
Firefox seems to be a bit slow again on my PC so I mostly use google's chrome

Of course my bloody mobile is google now

I'm still not anything like an Apple fanboi...

If you don't mind the crypto weirdness background, you could try Brave. Based on Chromium, but with the privacy stuff built in.

Found a great use for ChatGPT today. We're going to Greece for two weeks and have booked 6 hotels, flights, car hire etc. Copied and pasted in all the emails and it's done my a neat itinerary.

I can see the use for co-piliot on your inbox after doing that.

PSA for anyone running Ubuntu 22.04 - do not force an upgrade to 24.04. I'm 24 hours into regretting this massively. There are still bugs in the upgrade process.

Aha, thank you :) I was considering doing this yesterday but luckily I decided to wait til the weekend. After your warning I might wait a bit longer :)

The 24.04 LTS release notes have long flagged that a fresh, new install would be wiser. Which is what I did and had zero problems (but then every time I have ever performed a major upgrade, production service or not, I've wiped and installed from scratch; it's more effort to begin with, but less trouble in the long run, plus reminds me why I made certain decisions in the past and prompts me to review them in the light of new practices/what I've learned since then).

Utter carnage this afternoon, looks like one of the DC's wasn't doing it's thing properly. It's funny after an event when you hear management talking and all of a sudden 20k for a SIEM doesn't seem like a lot. I get the reasoning. It just still seems bonkers.

The 24.04 LTS release notes have long flagged that a fresh, new install would be wiser. Which is what I did and had zero problems (but then every time I have ever performed a major upgrade, production service or not, I've wiped and installed from scratch; it's more effort to begin with, but less trouble in the long run, plus reminds me why I made certain decisions in the past and prompts me to review them in the light of new practices/what I've learned since then).
I had to install from scratch in the end to get it working.

I noticed PC Engines are ceasing trading. They made great little itx boards you could use as network appliances, small servers. I've stil got an old Alix board. It runs an old Debian based distro on compact flash.

Just curious what's good for same scenario now. Not Raspberry Pi but something more rugged, reliable, like for like the replacement for PC Engines stuff?

I'm not even in the market for one, just curious what's around these days.

PSA for anyone running Ubuntu 22.04 - do not force an upgrade to 24.04. I'm 24 hours into regretting this massively. There are still bugs in the upgrade process.

Server or desktop? I'm still running server 20.4. :oops: It's just personal useage and behind a firewall. Also it's a VM. I'll try upgrading in VMWare and copy it over to the server if works OK. Tedious job for another day though.

I noticed PC Engines are ceasing trading. They made great little itx boards you could use as network appliances, small servers. I've stil got an old Alix board. It runs an old Debian based distro on compact flash.

Just curious what's good for same scenario now. Not Raspberry Pi but something more rugged, reliable, like for like the replacement for PC Engines stuff?

I'm not even in the market for one, just curious what's around these days.

I mean ulta small form factor PC are so cheap on eBay I see them recommend a fair bit for pi type replacements.

As more stuff has moved centrally and to the cloud, we've started deploying them to remote offices as DCs etc.

I mean ulta small form factor PC are so cheap on eBay I see them recommend a fair bit for pi type replacements.

As more stuff has moved centrally and to the cloud, we've started deploying them to remote offices as DCs etc.
Given the price and power of an N100 box, I can't understand how the Raspberry Pi is even contemplated these days, unless you specifically need something hard wired to it, which most projects don't.
I have a Raspberry Pi sat on the desk in front of me. I bought it to control a project I have on the go, and it cost ~€100 for the bare board (8GB Pi5), but to get it up and running (reliably) I'm going to need a decent power supply, a PCIE M.2 NVME adapter, an M.2 NVME drive and a case that I'd spend a few hours drawing and printing. So It'll have cost ~€200+ by the time it's up and running, and it'd still be a Raspberry Pi... Or I could buy a better spec'd N100 for less money. install Home Assistant and ESPHome on it, and make the job far, far easier. Which is what I did, and why the Raspberry Pi is still sat on the desk in front of me.

I can't believe how much easier the ESPHome IDE is than the Arduino IDE. I'd never used it before this project, and I had the whole control system sorted in half a day. It's a game changer.

Last edited:
Server or desktop? I'm still running server 20.4. :oops: It's just personal useage and behind a firewall. Also it's a VM. I'll try upgrading in VMWare and copy it over to the server if works OK. Tedious job for another day though.
Desktop. 20.04 to 22.04 was fine. Did a few servers 20 to 22 fine, as well. Not going to be brave en3to try a server to 24 for a while.

Given the price and power of an N100 box, I can't understand how the Raspberry Pi is even contemplated these days, unless you specifically need something hard wired to it, which most projects don't.
I have a Raspberry Pi sat on the desk in front of me. I bought it to control a project I have on the go, and it cost ~€100 for the bare board (8GB Pi5), but to get it up and running (reliably) I'm going to need a decent power supply, a PCIE M.2 NVME adapter, an M.2 NVME drive and a case that I'd spend a few hours drawing and printing. So It'll have cost ~€200+ by the time it's up and running, and it'd still be a Raspberry Pi... Or I could buy a better spec'd N100 for less money. install Home Assistant and ESPHome on it, and make the job far, far easier. Which is what I did, and why the Raspberry Pi is still sat on the desk in front of me.

I can't believe how much easier the ESPHome IDE is than the Arduino IDE. I'd never used it before this project, and I had the whole control system sorted in half a day. It's a game changer.

Mine is sat unused. I installed opnSense on it and it crashed a few times, so I put the old router back in. Of all the things that shouldn't be lab grade in the house it's that. :D

Need to get round to selling it. What I'm really not short of is compute power.

What I'm really not short of is compute power.
Speaking of compute power... I'm having a bit of a head fuck over mine. My PC is a relic, but I'm struggling to justify splashing out on a new one. I removed it from its old case and treated it to a shiny new home, but it's still 10 years old, and things have moved on a lot, especially graphics cards. But if I was to 'upgrade' it, the only things I could keep are the PSU (1000W Corsair) and the shiny new case. I could still get a few quid for the motherboard (Asus Maximus VII) and graphics card (GTX Titan), but that'd mean dealing with scammers on ebay, so they'd probably just end up in a box somewhere, like everything else I said I'd sell.
I keep thinking I need a better graphics card for modern games, but I don't play games on the PC. I used to, a lot, but I bought an Xbox, which I don't play games on, either :facepalm:
I'm beginning to wonder if me not using either for games is a sign that my gaming days are over... or it might be because I need a better PC to enjoy it again. But is it worth spending a few grand to find out.
The only thing I need CPU and GFX power for at the moment is CAD stuff, but my processor is running at smooth at 4.6 gig, and a few seconds extra on rendering is only an excuse to get a coffee, and not really worth the outlay for a new PC.
I don't even think I have a question. I'm just putting words down so I can decide whether or not to make a decision 🤪

Speaking of compute power... I'm having a bit of a head fuck over mine. My PC is a relic, but I'm struggling to justify splashing out on a new one. I removed it from its old case and treated it to a shiny new home, but it's still 10 years old, and things have moved on a lot, especially graphics cards. But if I was to 'upgrade' it, the only things I could keep are the PSU (1000W Corsair) and the shiny new case. I could still get a few quid for the motherboard (Asus Maximus VII) and graphics card (GTX Titan), but that'd mean dealing with scammers on ebay, so they'd probably just end up in a box somewhere, like everything else I said I'd sell.
I keep thinking I need a better graphics card for modern games, but I don't play games on the PC. I used to, a lot, but I bought an Xbox, which I don't play games on, either :facepalm:
I'm beginning to wonder if me not using either for games is a sign that my gaming days are over... or it might be because I need a better PC to enjoy it again. But is it worth spending a few grand to find out.
The only thing I need CPU and GFX power for at the moment is CAD stuff, but my processor is running at smooth at 4.6 gig, and a few seconds extra on rendering is only an excuse to get a coffee, and not really worth the outlay for a new PC.
I don't even think I have a question. I'm just putting words down so I can decide whether or not to make a decision 🤪

You know that Ghz is a totally useless measure of CPU speed, especially when comparing different generations, and even a modern i3 would absolutely destroy what you're running? If you're rendering anything, I think you owe it to yourself. :D

I don't think you need to spend anywhere near that much either to get something pretty decent. What resolution are all the fancy monitors you bought recently?

You know that Ghz is a totally useless measure of CPU speed, especially when comparing different generations, and even a modern i3 would absolutely destroy what you're running? If you're rendering anything, I think you owe it to yourself. :D

I don't think you need to spend anywhere near that much either to get something pretty decent. What resolution are all the fancy monitors you bought recently?
Oh I know a modern board and CPU would run rings around this. What I'm saying is it's plodding along nicely, just like its owner.
The monitors are 2560x1440. There's no way I can run all three for gaming on this card. It used to run 3x1080 monitors easily, but this is like running 6 of them.
I think what I'm trying to do is talk myself into getting a new one. I thought I was trying to talk myself out of it but 10 years is a long time. Too long to go without an upgrade. I used to do it annually :facepalm:

Oh I know a modern board and CPU would run rings around this. What I'm saying is it's plodding along nicely, just like its owner.
The monitors are 2560x1440. There's no way I can run all three for gaming on this card. It used to run 3x1080 monitors easily, but this is like running 6 of them.
I think what I'm trying to do is talk myself into getting a new one. I thought I was trying to talk myself out of it but 10 years is a long time. Too long to go without an upgrade. I used to do it annually :facepalm:

I don't really see the appeal of running games on multiple monitors, I just turn off my other screen. I think 1440 is a great sweep spot for PC gaming, sharper than 1080, but you don't need such a mental GPU to enjoy it.

We were playing round in the office the other day for a decent 1440 gaming PC for my colleague and this is what we came up (removed case and psu).

1724265287581.png

1724265300920.png

I don't really see the appeal of running games on multiple monitors, I just turn off my other screen. I think 1440 is a great sweep spot for PC gaming, sharper than 1080, but you don't need such a mental GPU to enjoy it.

We were playing round in the office the other day for a decent 1440 gaming PC for my colleague and this is what we came up (removed case and psu).

View attachment 439085

View attachment 439086
I forgot about the cooler. I've just fitted a nice AIO EK thing in this. It'll fit newer processors, too. So that's one less thing to buy.
Unfortunately, what I'll be saving on the cooler I'll be more than making up for on a motherboard. It's the most important bit for me, so I always end up throwing a few hundred quid at it.
I haven't had an AMD processor for years, since probably around dual core Pentium times, but since Intel's recent problems, I'm seriously considering one.
The graphics card is going to be my biggest spend. I love lots of real estate, and I've been using three monitors for gaming since Eyefinity was first a thing. I can't see me reverting back to single monitor gaming, TBH.
I think I'd better start on that research quest that I know will take me a week of sleepless nights to conquer :facepalm:
I wish I wasn't OCDAF about things.

I've got an exam tomorrow. Words can not express how much I hate the shitty OneVue software you need to take them. I spent ages tracking down some process it didn't like. Then it decided it didn't like my network connection, despite it testing at 800Mbps and me being able to ping sites it said I needed access to. Gave up in the end and plugged my laptop in.

It's so hated and yet all the tech companies seem to use Pearson VUE to proctor their exams. I've have been tempted to drive to the test centre in Manchester, but that would be another stress I don't need and the Google reviews make it sound grim.

I'm studying to teach myself Linux, got an udemy course, it's ok but it does give me a headache as I know a lot of it from playing 'Hacknet'

Does the game help to learn? :D

I've tried and tried with long video courses and decided I just don't learn well from them. I've even got CBT Nuggets from work, which is meant to be the best, but they're just way to long and I totally lose focus. I'm still working out what's best but I think looking at the learning objectives, reading docs and then asking chatGPT lots and lots of questions and making flashcards as I go. And of course labbing.

There's very few perks like that working for the NHS. They were talking in the office today about how a manager had bought coffees once and another bought pizza. I bit my tongue about having a company credit card at the MSP I worked for before, which I'd use to buy lunch on when seeing clients or nice coffee for the office.

But they pay me better, the working day is an hour shorter and users have no way of calling me. In fact I don't think I've spoken to one since I changed roles internally.

Back
Top Bottom