Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

What is the difference between RAM in a computer and a memory stick?

I can buy a 128Gb memory stick for £12.00, the same amount of RAM is £400.00.

What is the difference between RAM in a computer and a memory stick?

I can buy a 128Gb memory stick for £12.00, the same amount of RAM is £400.00.
An SD card will transfer about 500MB (0.5GB) per second. DDR5 RAM can do 64GB/sec. Not only that, SD cards are generally slower than that on writes.

Edit: There are some cheap phones that let you use SD cards as RAM. It's about as fast as the above would suggest. Utterly pointless feature that lets them claim their phone can have "6+8GB" of RAM.

And at least Intel should put out the i7/i9 fix before it trashes itself. I would definitely not try to run anything but stock clocks until the fix comes out in August sometime.
Yeah, I only found out about those problems after I ordered all my components. If I had known beforehand, I might have considered an AMD build instead.

Will definitely only be running at stock levels until it's patched.

An SD card will transfer about 500MB (0.5GB) per second. DDR5 RAM can do 64GB/sec. Not only that, SD cards are generally slower than that on writes.

Edit: There are some cheap phones that let you use SD cards as RAM. It's about as fast as the above would suggest. Utterly pointless feature that lets them claim their phone can have "6+8GB" of RAM.
Thank you.

I encountered an Internet loon who claims to have an HND in Physics among other things and he was spouting crap about gravity batteries saving us...

So I thought I would prepare a mug of coffee by raising and then lowering a weight ...

250ml water raised from 20 to 100 C
E=M C Theta
= 0.25KG x 80C x 4200 Joules per KG per deg C

= 84000 joules
= 0.023KWH
2KW kettle for 85 seconds.
= 3.7 volts x 6.3 amp-hours = so two average phone batteries. - but very slow coffee
Power tool battery - 18 volts / 4AH = 0.072 KWH - so 3.6 mugs of slightly faster coffee

E=MGH
100 kilo human x gravity (10 ms-2) = 1000 joules per metre

So would need to (cycle) down 84 metres of elevation powering some sort of heating device...

20 kilo concrete block = 420 metres (68 average houses)
1 tonne concrete block = 8.4 metres - (1.3 average houses)

84KJ = 20Kcals - so the calorimeter energy in 1/4 slice of bread...

I encountered an Internet loon who claims to have an HND in Physics among other things and he was spouting crap about gravity batteries saving us...

So I thought I would prepare a mug of coffee by raising and then lowering a weight ...

E=M C Theta

= 84000 joules
= 0.023KWH
= 3.7 volts x 6.3 amp-hours = so two average phone batteries. - but very slow coffee
Power tool battery - 18 volts / 4AH = 0.072 KWH - so 3.6 mugs of slightly faster coffee

E=MGH

So would need to (cycle) down 84 metres of elevation powering some sort of heating device...

He'll tell you not to go confusing him with numbers.

E=M C Theta

= 84000 joules
= 0.023KWH

E=MGH

I thought gravity batteries were more for long term storage & they were good because you had a low level of loss?

I thought gravity batteries were more for long term storage & they were good because you had a low level of loss?
long term storage of F - all
The other favourite thing of the "Free energy" / "Tesla" crowd is the "sand battery" - low specific heat capacity compared to water but operating at a high temperature.
I've yet to do the sums for those ...
A rather sad little tale of a few decades back was Trevor Bayliss's clockwork radio - which was immediately copied by thousands of Chinese manufacturers and made irrelevant by cheap and improved cheap solar cells and Lithium batteries ...

My school physics teacher once mooted the equivalency of putting petrol in his car with launching a mouse into orbit ... fossil fuels are very energy dense...

Just back from a moderately enthusiastic bike ride - 7,7 miles, 41 minutes - average power 160 watts, energy 400kj - so on a static bike I could have made nearly 5 mugs of coffee ...
Perhaps "earning" my morning coffee will become a thing ...
100 kcals - my breakfast is approx 300 ...

EDIT I see strava has it as kjoules, Runkeeper as kcalories - :hmm:

Last edited:
I realise I'm probably being a bit clueless, but I run a server which has various https virtual webservers on it, each of which gets its certificates via CertBot, and - once configured - runs a regular cron job to renew them...or you can manually invalidate a certificate so it will do it immediately.

I'm a bit astonished that a paid-for commercial service isn't capable of similar features?

I'm a bit astonished that a paid-for commercial service isn't capable of similar features?
They do have it - Developers/REST API - DigiCert
But so many enterprises tend to have things which barely allow manual addition of SSL certificates, let alone integration into <pick arbitrary CA> automation.
We have a nasty manual process for getting new certs, for cost/shadow control reasons with the resulting certs being used over all kinds of different services, deployed in cloud service providers, on-prem DCs on all sorts of devices, services and appliances.

Oh that Let's Encrypt was considered "good enough" and was embedded in every SSL-capable system.

I saw somewhere that Logitech is thinking of introducing a Mouse for Life type affair, where you pay a software subscription for upgrades. This is going to really take off the first thing I do when I switch on the computer is think "ooo I wish I had a mouse that you pay a software subscription for upgrades. Presumably the cheapest version is only going to move the cursor up and left.

I saw somewhere that Logitech is thinking of introducing a Mouse for Life type affair, where you pay a software subscription for upgrades. This is going to really take off the first thing I do when I switch on the computer is think "ooo I wish I had a mouse that you pay a software subscription for upgrades. Presumably the cheapest version is only going to move the cursor up and left.
This shit does not surprise me in the slightest, and instead of boycotting them, people will buy into it.
It's a fucked up, subscription-based world we're rapidly transitioning to, where if you don't pay a continuous subscription, you don't exist.
We need to stop this shit before it's too late.

Back
Top Bottom